Midwife at Homefirst -- any experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-14-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard there is a midwife at homefirst. Any experience with delivering at home with her? Thank you!

ETA: Nevermind, I just called. I guess I heard wrong -- the receptionist told me that no midwives birth by themselves, there is always a doctor present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is it Judith Wrzesinski in Rockford? When I called her she said to call them cause that's who she's was working with now.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#3 of 9 Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Nevermind, I just called. I guess I heard wrong -- the receptionist told me that no midwives birth by themselves, there is always a doctor present.
#4 of 9 Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 AM

Huh, I got an email from one of their midwives and she made it sound like she attends by herself. I'm going to set up a meeting with her - I'll let you know what I find out.

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#5 of 9 Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieD View Post
Huh, I got an email from one of their midwives and she made it sound like she attends by herself. I'm going to set up a meeting with her - I'll let you know what I find out.
Really!? Please let me know, this may be my only chance at a homebirth b/c the other midwives in the area are not in network for my insurer and I cannot afford out of network right now.
#6 of 9 Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 AM

You may want to talk to the midwives themselves. I've found that some of them "birth on the side" without the docs (if they have the credentials).

When I had my doctor attended homebirth (not with Homefirst, though), total cost to me was $3800. We did not use insurance. BTW...most insurance companies who cover homebirth will only pay for a doctor attended homebirth. Have you double checked with your insurance about that?

Even if you have a doctor attended homebirth, they're usually just there to catch the baby. LOL The midwife still does all the work.
#7 of 9 Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela512 View Post
Even if you have a doctor attended homebirth, they're usually just there to catch the baby. LOL The midwife still does all the work.
I do agree with this. My last 4 HB were dr attended (not Homefirst either). The midwife was closer and she was really the only one there for most of my fast labors. The dr just walked in the last 5-20 minutes of the birth. I was almost always pushing when he got there and he just stayed out of the midwife's way and helped if she asked. So this could very well be how Homefirst would work.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#8 of 9 Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela512 View Post
I think this is true even with midwife-attended hospital births, where the midwives technically have to have a doctor "backup." I didn't even know that the docs still checked in on births they weren't needed on, but with my birth, after my fabulous midwife had been with me for about 12 hours (her fifth birth without sleep, incidentally) and helped me pull out a tough posterior position/back labor without meds, her back-up doctor walked in about 10 minutes after the baby was born and called out "Congratulations!" I didn't even see him, since he just poked his head in the door which was around the corner. I was confused, and asked who it was - my midwife told me, then shook her head and said, kind of ruefully, "that's why he earns the big bucks."

I know this has nothing to do with the original question here - just made me think of it. She was semi joking, but also serious - she and the other midwives in her practice work SO hard, for a pittance of what the docs earn - I'm guessing even for my birth, for which his only contribution was that congratulations, he got more money than she did.
#9 of 9 Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

I just called again and was told that within the region that Homefirst serves no midwife delivers without a doc. Outside of the district -- mainly in the Rockford area a midwife delivers alone.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page