VBAC supportive midwives/birthing centers in Manhattan/Brooklyn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're TTC in spring 2008 and I would really like to have a VBAC and homebirth this time. However, DH is totally opposed to the idea of homebirth, so we're exploring birthing centers or midwives that are supportive of VBACs. I met with Barbara at the CBS midwifery and didn't get very good vibes from her.

Does anyone know of birthing centers in Manhattan/Brooklyn that will take VBAC cases. Also, any recommendations for VBAC supportive midwives would be great. I guess if I find a midwife I really love, I'm willing to go to a hospital again but it would have to be with someone who is completely trustworthy.

: mom to my little monkey 01/2006 my HBAC baby girl born 09/2009 
#2 of 11 Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 AM

BTW, I think Maureen accepts VBACs
I know she worked with breeches and twins before
#3 of 11 Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omsmom View Post
We're TTC in spring 2008 and I would really like to have a VBAC and homebirth this time. However, DH is totally opposed to the idea of homebirth, so we're exploring birthing centers or midwives that are supportive of VBACs. I met with Barbara at the CBS midwifery and didn't get very good vibes from her.

Does anyone know of birthing centers in Manhattan/Brooklyn that will take VBAC cases. Also, any recommendations for VBAC supportive midwives would be great. I guess if I find a midwife I really love, I'm willing to go to a hospital again but it would have to be with someone who is completely trustworthy.
Not to be discouraging, but you have to understand that the MW will still be at the hospital and some of the policies still stand regardless or who your care provider is. I was at a birth with a MW last week and she was forced to put an internal monitor on the baby. This is a MW who had 20 years of experience being told by a brand new dr, but she has to comply. Just be aware, you can have a great birth in a hospital, but it won't be like a birth center or homebirth.

The best bet for a vbac is a homebirth.
#4 of 11 Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 PM

Take your husband to see "The Business of Being Born" - the next local screening is at the CUNY Law School in Flushing on January 31, and it will include a panel discussion featuring a woman who has had a VBAC. Try to find other couples who had VBACs at home, and see if their husbands will talk to yours, and try to find a homebirthers group meeting to attend with him. My husband was totally against the idea of VBAC at home, but doing all these things, plus having him attend the 2007 ICAN Conference helped turn him around. (Hey, if everything works out for our HBAC this summer, I volunteer my husband to talk to yours.)

The fact is that because of ACOG guidelines, most birth centers (hospital or freestanding) simply will not accept VBAC clients - I know of one in New Hampshire, one in Portland (or somewhere in the Northwest coast) and The Farm in Tennessee. That's about it. Those in New York do not accept VBAC clients. Have you joined ICAN? You might be able to get more suggestions from both the national and the local yahoogroups..
#5 of 11 Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM

The Brooklyn Birthing Center does not do VBACs. I don't know about the Bronx. Good luck finding the right fit for you.
#6 of 11 Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 PM

I agree with two points already made:
A homebirth is the best bet (depending on the cause of your first cesarean).
And take your husband to see the business of being born. Education will do a great deal of paradigm shifting. He just needs to know.

Call around to all of the Homebirth midwives, schedule an in-home visit and you both can interview them. You dh may be impressed with expertise and the answers to your questions.
#7 of 11 Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM

Not 100% sure but pretty sure that the Bronx birthing center does not take VBAC's.
#8 of 11 Old 01-22-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolafanana View Post
Not 100% sure but pretty sure that the Bronx birthing center does not take VBAC's.
Boo. They stink anyway, though.

I called last week and spoke to someone on the phone and asked her a few questions, and the answers she gave me were terrible. First she said that IVs there are required, right after she said, "all our births are natural." Ummm, really? 'Cause an IV is NOT natural. And their website said that you can give birth in a tub, how do you do that with an IV? She obviously didn't know what she was talking about.

She said the IV was for hydration, and I said, "well, what about eating and drinking?" And she said (insert attitude here) "you know you can't eat during labor!!" I was like, "well, I disagree." And that's where it ended.

Frankly, if you are in a BIRTHING center, then you should represent that. Her attitude may not be a reflection of what the whole facility is like, but I refuse to go to a birthing center and have to fight to birth the way I want. I might as well be in a hospital, then.
#9 of 11 Old 01-24-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise. Its seems that a birthing center is out for me So the choice comes down to homebirth or hospital birth with a MW. DH is very very opposed to HB. I am planning to take him for the "Business of Being Born" but simultaneously doing research on MWs who would support VBAC. Here is a list of MW I've compiled from past threads:

Bluebird Midwifery -Catherine Clark
Clementine Midwifery
Joan Bryson
CBS Midwifery - Elizabeth

Are there any other midwives I can add to this list? The most important thing I'm looking for in a MW is experience and willingness to do VBAC. Does anyone have any experience with other MW in Manhattan/Brooklyn who have done VBACs?

: mom to my little monkey 01/2006 my HBAC baby girl born 09/2009 
#10 of 11 Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 AM

Try Miriam Schwarzchild as well--she may do VBAC, not sure. Also ask Joan and everyone else for a list of everyone they know who does VBACs--they shouldn't mind at all.
#11 of 11 Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 PM

I think Marcy Tardio Perlman does VBACs. She caught my last baby and I love her. If you need contact info, please PM me.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page