Mothering Forum banner

Any Spartanburg/Greenville SC moms?

2K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  happy & blessed 
#1 ·
It seems as if I can't find any other crunchy moms where I live! waaaaahhh This is one of the things I don't like about it here. Please tell me there is someone
'

Not usually this whiney - just a bit frustrated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi! I live in Powdersville,SC but was born and raised in Greenville,SC. I have been living in Powdersville for 3 years now. I moved here when DH and I got married. We are 15 minutes from Greenville. DH works at GE. I am a SAHM to my almost 7 month old STILL BF baby girl! Yes people ask me all the time if I am still BF! Yes! I am! LOL You are not alone! I am herer with ya!

#4 ·
Geeze I just read my pp and I was a bit whiney wasn't I? LOL Thats cool that there is someone else out there! I told dh I was ready to pack up and go to Oregon or somewhere else.... but we are not for now. Just tired of people looking at me like I'm a freak for bf-ing my 6 month old and then get even more stares when they see the cd!! Oh well as long as I'm comfortable with it its all ok.

Hope the hurricane didn't get you guys

Sarah

#5 ·
I totally nkow what you mean! People keep asking me if I am STILL BF after 7 months. Well Yes I am and we are verry happy with it too! I just tell them that I am not going to change soemthing that is working great! My family keeps tellimg me she needs formula??? WHAT??No way! I know how you feel though! I have been BF my DD longer than any of my firends have BF thier children. Oh well I love BF and am bound and determined to keep going! You are not alone!

#7 ·
Hi Mamas
I live in Blacksburg but travel to Boiling Springs 3x a week for my ds's karate class.
I have found that this area is very NON Ap and Anti Bfing.
I nurse my 11mo son I even NIP all the time I dont really care what people think.
I make my own food
We Cd, Sling, Sign and Co-sleep all of which is looked down upon here.

I am very glad to see that I am indeed not the only one here though

#8 ·
I'm in Greenville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a HUGE breastfeeding advocate and currently have a window cling on my car that says "Your baby deserves the best-BREASTFEED!" and I bet I make lots of enemies because of it, he he.

I am a SAHM, former RN, my hubby is a MD and we just had our 3rd baby at HOME, talk about neighborhood weirdo! No just joking, I am always 'educating' my neighbors with my breastfeeding, homebirthing, co-sleeping ways (and non-circ'ing). I have been pretty bummed with the lack of breastfeeding moms around here, but I love my LLL group and they keep me going (THE GOLDENSTRIP LLL IS AWESOME, WE MEET THE FIRST THURSDAY OF THE MONTH-SO WE MEET TOMORROW at 9:30-11:00 or so). You HAVE to join the LLL group, the moms are totally cool.

This city rocks for raising kids, it's so great. Tons of fun things to do, close to some awesome cities (Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah, anywhere along the coast really) just behind in regards to breastfeeding. Heck, I nursed my 2 1/2 yo (he is 3 now) at the mall and you would have thought I was the devil, I mean, GOD intended babies to have human milk, not canned-man made crap but yet most of the Christians around here bottle feed, uggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
Heather,
I am in Greenville too! ITA! I love greenville and think it is a great place to raise children! We are going to try out the Gymboree next week! Can't wait! What do you like to do in Greenvill with your children? I am thinking of taking DD to the zoo next week also! The weather is great!

#11 ·
OH YAY this is so cool to see other moms from the area using this site!

Heather and Karen - I go to greenville quite often as sil lives there - not to mention that is where the zoo is.... we are members there because my 3 y/o loves love loves the animal kingdom!

Carrie.... how wild is this? I got my hair cut by becky (i think is her name?) over at Adeva. We got to talking about kids and home births, etc... and she gave me your number to call and find out about becoming a doula in this area!!! Does any of that ring a bell? I do need to speak with someone concerning the training available here.

Sarah

#12 ·
Carrie-
Hi! Have heard great things about you and Linda, one of the ladies in my Bradley class was going to you (or her, I can't remember) for a home birth in September.

Pixie-
Greenville is great, tons to do. This weekend is Fall For Greenville, great downtown festival-bring your appetite and try lots of great foods!!!

Annasmommy-We go to the zoo also, about once a year. My kids love it, just been busy with being pregnant and now having a one month old (who just had his first peds appt today and weighs 13 pounds 10 ounces-go breastmilk!!!).

We live RIGHT next to Gymboree, in Pelham Falls subdivision (love it), right on the Enoree river. Love this area.

#13 ·
Hey Upstate Mamas

I dont get on here much always chasing my lil one around

I just wanted to post that I am now officially wierd here in SC LMAO
My lil guy turned One today
and we are still bfing and NIP, we were enjoying a nice day of tae kwon do/karate lessons the other day while NIP hee hee
You guys are lucky at least you have a LLL
: I live out here when BF is considered taboo/nasty perverted (you know the drill) and LLL isnt even heard of

Are you guys going to the boo in the zoo? Thats in Greenville right?

#14 ·
Sarah I know exactly who you are talking about! Becky is so great. Maybe I'll see you in Adeva sometime--she cuts my hair too. Did she tell you when she met me I always wore my hair in a long braid down my back....and since then she has done all sorts of funky hairdos and colors. I guess she didn't want me to look like a midwife anymore LOL
as far as doula training goes, get in touch with Sandy Glenn. She's an LM in Gray Court and she does doula training classes on a fairly regular basis. look her number up on the scmidwives.com site. One thing I do NOT recommend is working for St Francis hospital in G'ville as a doula. not a good scene over there

Heather what a small world. It's so nice to hear that you've heard good things about me
tell me more LOL
are you a bradley teacher or were you a student in a class?

Happy birthday to your baby MamaShea!

Y'all maybe i'm living in a dream world but I have never gotten any negative comments about extended breastfeeding. I nursed whenever and wherever for a grand total of 6 years and always wanted someone to say something so i could make a witty retort

#15 ·
Not a Bradley teacher, a student!
I remember the student talking about having to drink something gross to get her iron level up, does this sound familiar? he he
You have been mentioned in my LLL group too, as a possible midwife to a lady looking for one (do not remember who was asking).
All good stuff!!

I never got bad comments either, except crap from my parents. I am pretty bold when I get ticked so I shut them up quickly. I was always hoping to get someone to say something negative too (like a Walmart person), so I could sue their butts so that they had to get intensive lactation training for all their employees! I can dream..........not about money but about education for all.

#16 ·
LOL yeah I made her drink floradix for a little while.

I agree that Greenville is great. too bad Spartanburg isn't

oh well we're working on it slowly but surely. I hate driving on 85 so i don't really go to Greenville that often.

Hopefully in the near future we'll have a birth center here so that'll be a plus!

#18 ·
First off - I just went to becky once - dh usually cuts my hair but I was sick of waiting for him to do it! I like aveda products so I went there and just so happened to get becky. I think I will be going back.

yes it is so sad that Spartanburg lacks in so much.... culture shalll we say?

I started to post here after another mom on another site referred me here to check out the cloth diapering pages (I just started cding my baby)

Oh the looks I get from people - even my friends when I NIP! then god forbid I whip out the cloth diaper to change him there too!!! I don't get slack from my mom because she did the same thing.... actually used to nurse me wherever - even in church. good ol mom! so thats cool.

You wouldn't believe the amount of women I've helped bf here - its almost unheard of for a woman to bf and it drives me nuts.... of the ppl I've known or friends I told them I would be their own personal lactation consultant to help get them started. Makes me feel good when it works

not going to boo in the zoo - halloween freaks me out.

Oh if we get a birthing center in spartanburg let me know I will come help or do whatever necessary!

Carrie - I've been looking for a chiropractor.... mine moved to FL
whats your dh name?

#19 ·
pixie I will *definitely* call on you to help whenever we get things going with the birth center. it may be a few years down the road, so I may have to remind you of your offer lol

My dh's office is on Fernwood Glendale. His name is Nick Wise and I must say he is really good
very good with kids too

#21 ·
Pixie-cudos to you for spreading the word to the uneducated about breastfeeding!! Yeah!!

Getting a birth center in Spartanburg would def. get the word out to locals and MD's that midwife-attended births are HERE TO STAY, which is a great thing!

I know there is a birth center that just opened up in Greenville and all kinds of my LLL friends'-friends are going there for thier births, a couple have delivered already and said the experience was amazing. So nice to have options in this area, I hope it spreads to the entire state!

We should get a breastfeeding moms group going here in Greenville, go to the local zoo and malls and nurse so that the locals will see how 'normal', and common, breastfeeding is. Like a national nurse out, just not concentrated in one month. KWIM???

Anyone interested? I know of at least 5 moms off hand that would be interested, could be a lot of fun.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.