Mothering Forum banner

couldn't give me exemption because I opted out??

298 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wombjuice 
#1 ·
Was I bamboozled? I was told by the Delray Health Department that they were unable to give me the exemption at my appointment this morning because I'd opted out of Florida SHOTS so they couldn't enter my exemption into the database. They said my record had been locked so they couldn't even enter the record for the exemption. They said I would have to "opt in" and then they could enter the information. Was I tricked? Is this really true? I may have just jumped the gun too fast with opting out but I am just going to Opt-out again once I get the exemption. Am I obligated to opt-in so that anyone at a day care or preschool looking for my DS's data will know that he's under a religious exemption?

I was just annoyed because I was prepared with all the paperwork for my appointment and they basically turned me away saying that I would have to fax florida SHOTS. My next scheduled appointment is next week, and I really wanted to get this done so I could enroll him in day care.

#2 ·
There's nothing to "enter" for the exemption. It's just a blue card stock piece of paper that they fill out with your child's name. Try a different health department, and just walk in and tell them you need the exemption. I had to wait about 3 hours for the first one (with an appointment), and after that, I just walked in off the street and got it in about 30 minutes.

#4 ·
Thats not true. While they do have to enter something into some kind of a database, it has nothing to do with you opting out of SHOTS. I obtained my 1st expemption for my DC. I later opted out of SHOTS. Then I lost my blue cards and had to go back to get a copy. I was told that they could not give me a copy and had to issue a completely new exemption. They re-entered all of my info (after I opted out) without any problems and issued me new cards.

#5 ·
This is totally not true. I'd try a different health department.

There is no database that they need to enter you in. All they do is write your (or your child's) name on a piece of blue card stock (certificate style), and the doctor signs it, and that's it.

I used this to get into University of South Florida a few years ago, and it was exactly what they were looking for.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.