Dental carries...in need of dentist - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,
This is my second bout with dental carries and a young child. My daughter now 8 had carries at 13 months. This was while I lived in Seattle. It took 5 dentist until the Proffesor at UW was recomended by LLL. Some dentist said they wouldn't do anything to her unless I stopped nursing. I practice AP and extended BF so this was out of the question. Some dentsit actually all of them wanted to give her caps...some under general anastesia and some with some drink that knocks them out. All very scary for such a young child for just cavities. The Dentist I found gave her fluoride treatments every 3 months and put a bonding on her teeth. She ended up loving the dentist so much that i would threaten her that if she didn't brush her teeth she wouldn't go to the dentist!

Now my son has the same problem and he is 15 months old(7 weeks premature). I went to 1 doctor and she said she would only cap his teeth and give him this drink that slows his heart, bla bla...too scary. On the way down in the elevator I was with a nother mother of a 4 yr old who just had the procedure...when I asked how it went she said good, they just had to wait till they warmed his body with blankets because he had gotten very cold...sounds too scary and her child was a lot older. I really would like to find a doctor/dentist like the one had in Seattle, can anyone suggest one or has gone through a similar situation??
Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 AM

gatormommy123, sorry I can't help as I'm from NYC. I think my 17 month old has carries too. It looks like her two front teeth have a few layers of missing enamel. Those parts seem thinner, and darker than the rest of her "healthy" teeth. Is this what carries look like? For some reason I can't find any pictures on line.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

yes it sounds like it. They won't appear nice and smooth like teeth should. I had found some pictures of dental carries(sorry i don't remember where) but they were extremely grotesque. Do you yourself or partner have lots of cavities? I was told that it is caused by a strep bacteria that a baby can get during the 1st yr of their life by another infected person or carrier. Kind of like some people never brush their teeth and never get cavities where as some people always brush their teeth and eat well and get lots. I loved my dentist in Seattle, in fact it was really dental students who worked on my daughter and she had an awesome experience!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 AM

In NYC, if you want an experience with students, Columbia University does have a dental school where you can go. I don't know if they do pediatrics, but I was happy with the work I had done there.

For pediatric dentists, after a very very long search and 4 different dentists, we have found Dr. Alan Azrak in Park Slope, Brooklyn. He is wonderful and thorough and my nearly 4 year old nursling sits on my lap the whole visit and also nurses in the chair after the visit. He encouraged nightweaning, but dd was 2 1/2 and already in the process of nightweaning at the time. He does not do the oral sedation or general anesthesia, but instead gently introduced the ideas and tools to my dd, and then used the same kind of numbing shots used on adults. She sat on my lap and if we wanted a video, they were happy to play something to take her mind off the work. She's had caps on teeth that were too far gone for fillings and fillings for other teeth. FINALLY, about a year ago, she was able to go for just a regular cleaning and no more work that needed to be done.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 AM

Are you willing to come out to the suburbs? My dentist is takes care of our whole family. The hygenist let DS sit in my lap and nurse while she cleaned my teeth. Then the dentist let DS sit in my lap while they lookedat his teeth. DS hasn't needed any work yet, so we haven't been through that, but they are very good with the rest of the family including my grandmother who had alzhimers.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List