Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:: : :::
Vancouver(ish) Tribe Members:
use this thread to share what you're doing fitness-wise

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#2 of 57 Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki_73 View Post
Exercise - I just bought a treadmill, i've wanted one for a while but with this cold weather it was a must as I need to get my walks in. I'm also determined to loose some weight and am very motivated after loosing 4.5lbs last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eper View Post
Part of the problem is that I would prefer doing things with my kids but there is not a lot that I can do that doesn't feel suffering (running) or boring (exercise video at home). I also don't want to be away 2-3 nights a week to do exercise.
That's been my problem too. If you go out of the home for a class, before you know it it's easy to eat up 2-3 hours. That's why I've been trying to focus more on getting 10 minute chunks of exercise here and there. I think that kettlebells will be good for that. Also, I found out that exercise videos don't have to be boring. There's a great site that gives reviews and recommendations of them. The Namaste yoga series is definitely not boring - it's gorgeous and inspiring with stunning local sets. It's not the same experience as doing a yoga class, but it's short (20 minutes), gets you moving, and is quite motivating.

#3 of 57 Old 02-04-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
ksenia, can you get an exercise partner?
Not really. Dh's work schedule changes every week, so getting into any kind of routine with classes or other people has been part of the problem for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
what about an ipod!
That might help.

#4 of 57 Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is very timely for me! I've joined the little gym on the Drive, fitness express, which is verrrrry close to my home, and I got three sessions with a trainer so that I'd have a clue. I'm just back from the second session now. I'm mainly doing strength training.
#5 of 57 Old 02-04-2008, 08:00 PM

:

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#6 of 57 Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks Ksenia for starting this thread! I think I'm going to start a walking program. I'd like to see what all you other mamas are doing.

#7 of 57 Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM

okay, my next goals are:

to get childcare for long enough for my partner to show me all the great things he does in our complex's gym.

to set a regular time for running (i have to think of one that works for everyone! we usually run after children are in bed)

to build time for yoga into my bedtime routine again - namaste is great!

#8 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 AM

By the way this website may be a useful resource for women's strength training, esp at home:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
#9 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 AM

Hey, I tried fitting in bits of stretching and spurts of exercise throughout the day, and it was great! Lunges with Narnia on the tube, push-ups while waiting for Tiegan to finish going to the bathroom.....no time for sit-ups () but perhaps that will come!!!! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Of course, my muscles are feeling awesome from cross-country skiing - I just need to do that more often!

And quit rewarding myself with food!!!!!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#10 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 AM

Anyone in the Vancouver city hall area interested in getting together for walking? I usually get out with the stroller every day and I'd love some company.
#11 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner&tiegs View Post
Hey, I tried fitting in bits of stretching and spurts of exercise throughout the day, and it was great! Lunges with Narnia on the tube, push-ups while waiting for Tiegan to finish going to the bathroom...

I find I just need to stop being perfectionistic about when/how to exercise or I'll never do it. Remember that 10 minutes a day adds up to 70 minutes a week, which is a lot better than nothing.

#12 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
By the way this website may be a useful resource for women's strength training, esp at home:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
I've looked at that site before - really cool. From what I have read, weight training is the most efficient way to get fit and burn fat. But I think I will try kettlebells. The movements are more dynamic, more fun, and more functional than traditional weight training.

#13 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 AM

We went to the pool today, and while it took 2 hours out of our day, it was nice relaxing time with DH and DD and I got to do some low-impact exercise in the pool and some stomach crunches that are MUCH easier in the shallow water, even with DD on my knees for added weight.

I'm going to get a baby seat for my bike and get back into riding with the dog (yes, it can be accomplished safely, I have a special attachment for the dog that attaches him to my seat post via a spring with a safety break in the line in case he thinks he needs to go the 'other' way around a pole or something). We used to go 5km at a time 3-4 days a week but got out of it when I lost my riding partner. The dog and DD will both love it and it will be good for all three of us. Anyone with an extra baby bike seat is free to PM me if they are willing to part with it. I'm looking for one that mounts in front of the rider though, not behind.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#14 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 AM

:
Yup, that's me...eating popcorn & watching others exercise :

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#15 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Thanks! I've bookmarked that one for future reference. I'm definitely going to try out Shovelglove exercises, I know we have a sledge hammer around here somewhere. Only I'm going to call it "Fuzzy Hammer" exercises because it sounds much more me. And I think younger BIL may have some free weights somewhere...

Only now that I've spent so much time on here, it's too late to do the relaxation yoga video I felt like doing. Whoops.
-Lori

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#16 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 PM

we did a family yoga class out in kerrisdale, it was awesome, even the one year olds were into it! i got to do some yoga around what they were doing, and my little one still asks to do goga. i can possibly organise a class on main street if i have enough interested folks.

#17 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM

oops, posted in wrong thread:

We don't own a scale, but when we visit FIL in North Van, sometimes I"ll step on theirs to see how I'm getting with this baby weight. I don't hold too much importance to numbers but WOOHOO, I had gained 50lbs with Cayden and now I'm 55lbs less than that, so thats pretty exciting.
But I'd rather measure myself to see how much wieght I've lost. Like have a pair of jeans that are 2 sizes too small, and try them on every couple of weeks.
I did that with my pre-pregnancy jeans, I'd try them on to see how far I had to go, and it's pretty amazing that I'm back in all my own clothes...hehe, I never thought I'd be.

I'm a runner I love running! I sometimes go out with Cayden in the jogging stroller, but it's not the same and uses wierd muscles to push the stroller so I'm sore in odd places.
I consider stretching the same as exercising, so I'll often sit with Cayden on the floor and stretch my legs out and bend this way and that.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#18 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Well, I don't have much time to post here, but here's what I currently do to move my body around: walk the kids around the perimeter of the farm. Much of the trail I can access. Some of it is fenced to prevent Stuart's (our landowner who owns our farm) sheep from getting down to the creek as it is a salmon stream with conservation practises in place. We also wander at a-not-so-fast-pace the beautiful country roads around here. With so many small adjacent farms, a winery and artisan's studios in our vicinity to wave to or visit, it keeps it interesting!!! DS1 will often ride his bike and if I can convince DS2 to go in the wagon, I get in a much better pace. Our driveway is looonnnngggg too, so at times when desperate for a brain refresher I'll pop in a video or set the littles up on Starfall ( a computer early reading program...) and walk back and forth, though quite boring! I can see the boys through the living room window and am within hearing distance this way.

I'm looking forward to the ease of Spring-like warmth and being able to garden (very physically satisfying for me) and to drive a short ways to trails and dyke systems close by to walk and cycle too. When Ds2 was smaller, we did this daily with him in the carrier and it was divine! I'm going to look into a bike carrier for a 35 pounder!!! I seem to have a high need for physicality and love to move, though I've never been one to be inspired by indoor activities. I'm simply bored to tears! When the grass firms up a bit, there is a nice wide swath of grass edging our farm that will be great for dribbling a soccer ball along, fun for Ds1 and me! Hopefully it'll work for the little one to watch or run along-side.

I'd love to pick up my back stretching/core strengthening routine again, I love the limberness after! I want to try yoga, for now I'll get your ideas, resource suggestions on it. We have two notable yoga studios out here within 5 and 15 minutes to investigate...a video here at home may work too.

I'm excited to read all that you're planning.! Go tribe, go!!!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#19 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM

So far, I'm just stepping. I do anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes every other night. I usually do it while watching a movie or reading a book. Unlike Tiffani, I don't like mixing up the movements very much. I'm a bit of a klutz about that kind of thing and mixing up the movements just gets me confused and frustrated. I took aerobics classes in my teens and found the same thing then. I like to keep it simple. I just step up and step down, alternating my starting leg every minute or so...and occasionally bring my knee up instead of stepping immediately back down.

I'm really trying to get back to some yoga. I have a lot of trouble with serious muscle tension, and the yoga helps a lot. I have no routine for it at all, but am trying to fit it in whenever I can. I really, really need to work on my abs, because this last c-section just totally destroyed them...but that's difficult, as Evan sees a mama lying on the floor as a trampoline. Ouch! I try to get in at least 5-10 minutes every day, and push for about 15-20 on the days when I don't step. It's working, although I am missing a lot...

I really need to figure out how to get the weights back into my life. Right now, I can't bring them to the living room, which is where I've always used them, because Evan will use them as projectiles. He's in a hardcore throwing phase right now.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#20 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Can I join in?
I have been going to Kinky Boots workouts at the Naked Gym on Venables and Mclean. Jason Kyle is an amazing trainer. The classes are a little pricy but well worth it. I think the website is www.nakedbodyshop.com
( and no, you don't work out in the buff!)
Sphinxie, I have had a member ship to Fitness Express on Commercial Drive for ages and have never used it! I guess I feel intimidated to go in on my own for some reason Would you like a workout partner?
The other thing I find works well is to go for a really long brisk walk. I take about 1 hour and stop every once in a while to do lunges or squats or step ups in the various parks I pass through.
#21 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 06:16 PM

autumn i highly recommend doing a yoga class with an experienced and precise instructor first...safety and accuracy is pretty important. then you can work on your own. we didn't manage to get out of the house in time for a class but we're going to ride our bikes to the store now.

#22 of 57 Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
:
Yup, that's me...eating popcorn & watching others exercise :
Don't feel bad! I spent months 'brainwashing' myself before I actually started. That consisted of seeking out inspiring information on the benefits of exercise. That mostly involved rereading this one article at consumer reports and browsing on mayoclinic... later I also found something at that weight training website I linked earlier. And all that browsing also helped me to have a slightly better idea of what I was getting into--it is intimidating enough already, it helps to feel at least slightly knowledgeable. After awhile I also got frustrated with how little research material I could find and decided to just go out and do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by robugmum View Post
Can I join in?
I have been going to Kinky Boots workouts at the Naked Gym on Venables and Mclean. Jason Kyle is an amazing trainer. The classes are a little pricy but well worth it. I think the website is www.nakedbodyshop.com
( and no, you don't work out in the buff!)
Sphinxie, I have had a member ship to Fitness Express on Commercial Drive for ages and have never used it! I guess I feel intimidated to go in on my own for some reason Would you like a workout partner?
The other thing I find works well is to go for a really long brisk walk. I take about 1 hour and stop every once in a while to do lunges or squats or step ups in the various parks I pass through.
Having a workout partner sounds great! I'll PM you

Naked Body Shop looks interesting too, the classes look like something to tap into when I'm a little tougher and want to take it further! And the website has inspired me to do some research on "muscle recovery" which is obviously a very relevant issue to me nowadays (I'm groaning every time I sit down or descend stairs... I can lift my arms this time though!)
#23 of 57 Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM

Yep, the site is full of good information on working out and other stuff as well! Its also verra verra funny!
#24 of 57 Old 02-07-2008, 03:56 AM

You ladies have me motivated!!

I came home from pilates last night (an early class) and hopped on our elliptical trainer for 25 min.

Once the cloud of dust, that had been joyfully reproducing on it, had settled down, it wasn't bad.

I tried watching a short spiritual DVD and it definitely kept me focused and not looking at the timer.

Also just plain busy with Devin. We skate on Mondays and he is at one end playing hockey with some local guys and I actually get to skate. It's a lot harder than I thought! Saturday is his cross-country ski lesson, so that's movement at least! And of course walking the dog, either with Devin on bike or in buggy so I can actually walk at a decent pace.

I'm enjoying my pilates class too. Definitely hard at first to re-connect with those muscles after a c-section. Luckily our AMAZING chiropractor (who uses electrocurrent) identified that I had toxicity left over in my tummy muscles from the anisthecia (spelling???). Had a session with her and noticed the difference at the next class.

As we are still on the adoption path (although slowly) I think I'm gangbusters because I know my life will soon be totally committed again. Also hits home what Tiffani mentioned, what I do now will have consequences for when I'm 50 and older (as I'm 38 this spring, that's not that far away any more!).

Anyway, happy calorie burning and muscle building

Janet is life learning and loving life with: Devin (10/02) :nana and The Littles through Marty (04/06) and Skye (05/08)
#25 of 57 Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 AM

Cross country skiing, that reminds me... does anyone cross country ski? I'm seeking inside information about the best places to rent skis, where to find nice trails, etc.

There's that shop on 4th ave, Sigge? that I keep meaning to stop in and inquire....
#26 of 57 Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM

there's x-country up at cypress, you can rent skis. it is lovely...although being vancouver, it is hilly i grew up skiing there, i love it!

pealette, that's impressive.

okay, reviewed my goals. time to call my sister for babysitting so i can go to our gym.

#27 of 57 Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 PM

I cross-country ski... erm, at least I own some and never get out! I also have a spare set with a set of size 8 boots, if anyone wants to go with me just PM me! I'm free most weekdays for the rest of the winter. (I'm assuming I'd be able to bundle up DD in a snowsuit and put her on my back in a carrier of some sort.)

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#28 of 57 Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 PM

I'd like to join in!
Right now I am 21 weeks pregnant and I have been going for a vigorous walk or bike ride almost everyday. I really want to stay in okay shape throughout this pregnancy (even though I am getting bigger by the day!).
I find that it really helps to have a destination with exercise (like walking to the grocery store and back).
#29 of 57 Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am really glad that I started this thread. I think that I tend to assume that people who don't talk/post about their fitness routine don't have one. It's inspiring to read about what you are doing and good for me to know that my peers are taking care of their bodies for the same reasons that I want to .

#30 of 57 Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Len

So yesterday I went to the mall when it was all closed, and walked around briskly for around 1/2 an hour until we stopped by the "gator pit" and since it was open and no one was there we went in.... so the baby got his excersise too

Kdmom... I've always wanted to xc ski, we go to Cypress a lot (hiking) and I'm always jealous of the skiers with their babies on a sled. I'd love to go with you but I don't think I would want to carry the baby on my back, or at all since I'm a beginner

I did train and ran the sun run a few years ago, but running wasn't good for my knees and feet, so I'm for something different.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page