Sorority Girls - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 05-06-2008, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etay005 View Post
This may be a stretch but-any other sorority girls that are not afraid to admit it? I am a Chi Omega.
Alpha Chi Omega! My grandma was a Chi Omega, but my school didn't have a chapter. So happy to find you ladies

Jessica - I my guys!! DH Marty (4-22-06) DS Marty (7-2-07) DS Anderson (4-12-10)
Mighty-Mama
#32 of 59 Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykilbo View Post
Chi Omega! I have the opposite problem though - I still look like a "sorority girl" and so it surprises people that I am into crunchy stuff.
Ditto on that!! I get the same thing...I'm closet crunchy

Jessica - I my guys!! DH Marty (4-22-06) DS Marty (7-2-07) DS Anderson (4-12-10)
Mighty-Mama
#33 of 59 Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM

kappa kappa gamma. i never was the "sorority type", not really the "crunchy type" yet here i am, a little of both! (way more crunchy though! )

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#34 of 59 Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 PM

Delta Zeta, from LSU here. I totally with the comments about being a sorority girl and being crunchy.. and how they can seem like polar opposites. But for me, both are/were important parts of my life

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#35 of 59 Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 AM

Kappa Alpha Theta
#36 of 59 Old 05-22-2008, 12:42 AM

Chi Omega

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#37 of 59 Old 05-22-2008, 12:45 AM

Woohoo! I'm feeling the Panhellenic love here lol!

Are any of you actively involved as alumnae?
#38 of 59 Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 AM

I never would have thought.

Delta Zeta Chi here... local sorority. Heck, I was on the e-board... held a couple different offices over the years. I haven't been involved as an alum, except to go back a couple of times for the homecoming parade, but I am in touch with my Delt sisters. Some of them are my best friends.

We were a little different than the way sororities seem to be in other places though. I don't think any the Delts were sorority types! Those girls had to join one of the other sororities.

I was also a cheerleader. And I lohurved it.

Dh was also Greek.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#39 of 59 Old 05-22-2008, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was in a local sorority, Zeta Psi Sigma. They recently decided to affiliate with a national.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#40 of 59 Old 05-22-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmom View Post
Yep...Kappa Delta here. Feels like a far-away land, though!
AOT, sister!

My ex is the frat boy I met in college.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#41 of 59 Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyx3 View Post
Phi Sigma Sigma
Me Too!!! LITP
#42 of 59 Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM

Chi Omega here, from the University of Central Florida.
Anyone still good friends with their sisters? I am a newer alum(Graduated in 2005) but my big sis is my son's godmother and I am her son's godmother, and we were at eachother's births...she is the closest thing I have to a sister!!
I still go to alumni activities, being young moms a lot of the other young alums are more" Oh I don't know if I'll EVER have kids, that's so much work!" but I still manage to have a good time with some of the girls I went to college with. Still good friends with one of my little sisters and her little sister.

Glad to see other crunchy greeks!! Being in a sorority really helped me grow up and opened my heart to being friends with other women, I loved it

Social Worker Mom to a fantastic four year old nocirc.gif
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut
Never put a period where God has put a comma!
#43 of 59 Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb422 View Post
Alpha Chi Omega! My grandma was a Chi Omega, but my school didn't have a chapter. So happy to find you ladies
Alpha Chi Omega here at the University of Florida

One of my sisters (whom I still keep in contact with) called me "tree hugger" all through our undergrad...and I was SO SO SO less crunchy then than I am now

I love being the non-sterotype!! Being Greek was so good for me in terms of my personal growth in college...it really brought me out of my shell!

SO...would any of you encourage or discourage your DD's from rushing/pledging when they go to college?????????
#44 of 59 Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 PM

yes, still friends with girls from my sorority days...

and what will/would i do if dd wanted to join a sorority? depends on the school, the greek system at that school and who my dd is at that time, it's all about the context, just like other situations.
#45 of 59 Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Kappa Alpha Theta here, too! UGA
#46 of 59 Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 PM

I would encourage her, as long as I had an idea of what kind of a greek system and chapters it was...It really taught me to be friends and get a long with LOTS of different kinds of people and also having the "rules" had people keeping an eye out for me.

I was from a small town and I think I would have been a LOT more wild without the sorority!!
With my son...I don't know as fraternities can be a lot crazier and more prone to partying than sororities, but I think that they can be beneficial as well.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut
#47 of 59 Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Alpha Chi Omega here at the University of Florida

One of my sisters (whom I still keep in contact with) called me "tree hugger" all through our undergrad...and I was SO SO SO less crunchy then than I am now

I love being the non-sterotype!! Being Greek was so good for me in terms of my personal growth in college...it really brought me out of my shell!

SO...would any of you encourage or discourage your DD's from rushing/pledging when they go to college?????????
I knew I liked you . ITA about the personal growth in college, being in a sorority was also great for me.

I have 3 dd's.... and I will encourage them to choose a college with an active Greek system, adn I will definitley encourage them to rush. Of course I'd love for them to choose my sorority, but I'd rather them join somewhere where they feel right... the individuals in a chapter can change and be so differnent year to year.. much less campus to campus. So I'd rather that they follow their own heart and not be pressured to join mine just because they are legacies.

However, wherever my oldest pledges, I hope the other 2 choose the same one, KWIM?

I have not been active as an alum, but I'm thinking that I should start volunteering.. espec at teh school that I think my dds will attend.... just to check them out, LOL

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#48 of 59 Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM

Alpha Delta Pi here and glad to see a sister in this thread!
#49 of 59 Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I don't think I would do either - I would just trust their judgment. (I hope! ) Because my sorority was a local one, and I doubt my girls will choose the same university (which I chose for very specific reasons) ... so if they do pledge it will necessarily be a different sorority.

I will probably talk to them about some of this before they even get to college, and share some of the things I loved about my sorority, and some of the challenges.

I do have more reservations about my sons joining fraternities. Although each of my serious college boyfriends was Greek, and I married one of them... and I don't think Dh would have any reservations about our sons going Greek either - especially since he was TKE, so the boys could eventually pledge the same frat.

But through one thing and another, I ended up being semi-present for a pledge activity that my ex-bf's frat was doing, and it was horrifying . Not something I'd want my son to participate in. Not that pledging a sorority is a picnic, but... well, apparently men are animals.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
#50 of 59 Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
But through one thing and another, I ended up being semi-present for a pledge activity that my ex-bf's frat was doing, and it was horrifying . Not something I'd want my son to participate in. Not that pledging a sorority is a picnic, but... well, apparently men are animals.

Yes...I definately think that the boys get way more involved in hazing and the like than the ladies. I can truthfully say our sorority did no chapter sponsored "hazing" type activities, and whenever a sister got caught doing anything out of sorts to a new member they got punished harshly, up to having their pin pulled!! In fact, we really tiptoed around the new members and were VERY nice to them....I was a trouble maker, I kind of wanted to be hazed!!

#51 of 59 Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Just wanted to say hi!

I'm a Zeta Tau Alpha! (active collegiate).

I don't usual introduce myself as greek because people can't see beyond the stereotypes.
#52 of 59 Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 PM

Delta Zeta from U. of South Carolina from looong ago! It does feel as if the various parts of my life don't really fit together sometimes. After many years of no DZ contact, I'm now involved with my alum group and help with a collegiate chapter.
My dd is almost 15 and while I'd love for her to be a DZ (I mean, she already knows all the songs...but then so does my son!), I really want her to be herself and be happy.
#53 of 59 Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 PM

Another Chi Omega here! Kappa Theta Chapter (Baylor U). I'd like to be more involved as an alum, but alas, my days are quite full currently.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#54 of 59 Old 06-11-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrox View Post
Yes...I definately think that the boys get way more involved in hazing and the like than the ladies. I can truthfully say our sorority did no chapter sponsored "hazing" type activities, and whenever a sister got caught doing anything out of sorts to a new member they got punished harshly, up to having their pin pulled!! In fact, we really tiptoed around the new members and were VERY nice to them....I was a trouble maker, I kind of wanted to be hazed!!
Actually, I asked Dh about whether our sons would be encouraged to pledge a frat, and what my concerns were, and he said, "Do you want to know what we did? I'll tell you." And it turns out that it was no more hazing than what we did! The only difference is that alcohol was involved in what they did, and the sisters were VERY careful to not allow any alcohol in any pledge activity, in any form. But the actual activities were pretty similar. He said that because my ex's frat was a local and his was a national might be a lot of the difference in how they did things. We're not really sure.

#55 of 59 Old 06-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymommy View Post
Me Too!!! LITP

Love seeing all the phi sigs! LITP

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#56 of 59 Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
I knew I liked you . ITA about the personal growth in college, being in a sorority was also great for me.

I have 3 dd's.... and I will encourage them to choose a college with an active Greek system, adn I will definitley encourage them to rush. Of course I'd love for them to choose my sorority, but I'd rather them join somewhere where they feel right... the individuals in a chapter can change and be so differnent year to year.. much less campus to campus. So I'd rather that they follow their own heart and not be pressured to join mine just because they are legacies.

However, wherever my oldest pledges, I hope the other 2 choose the same one, KWIM?

I have not been active as an alum, but I'm thinking that I should start volunteering.. espec at teh school that I think my dds will attend.... just to check them out, LOL
Hi Cath (almost football season again) ITA about the whole choosing a chapter based on that campus and feeling at home (but oh what would we do if our DD's went to Tennessee or UGA {shudder} )

I think the biggest bummer about DD's pledging another sorority would be me missing out on her pinning/initiation...some of my pledge sisters were legacies and it was the coolest thing for their moms/sisters/grandmothers/aunts to surprise them during initiation for their pinning...I would LOVE to do that with my DD's!!!!!!!!
#57 of 59 Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I think the biggest bummer about DD's pledging another sorority would be me missing out on her pinning/initiation...some of my pledge sisters were legacies and it was the coolest thing for their moms/sisters/grandmothers/aunts to surprise them during initiation for their pinning...I would LOVE to do that with my DD's!!!!!!!!
ITA!! So far none of my Chi-O friends who have had babies have had girls...but if I had a girl I would love it if she found a Chi Omega chapter she felt right in. I wasn't a legacy, but a "connection" as my grandma, great aunt and step-grandma were all Chi Omega's. I have always used my great aunt's pin(as my grandma's was lost at some point ) but I thought it was nice to kind of follow a tradition, although my family doesn't really have traditions.

My parents both went to college in the 70's and were not mainstream at all so they never really understood or cared why I joined a sorority. I think they thought it was silly, but they still came to parent events and the like.

#58 of 59 Old 08-08-2008, 03:21 AM

Proud ALPHA PHI alumna here
I am currently the recruitment adviser of an Alpha Phi chapter in my area
#59 of 59 Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Kappa Delta alumnae

AOT sisters

I was very active in college, but have lost touch with almost all sisters since then

Proud wife to my man and mommy to my pumpkin . We are dedicated to loving life and getting out of debt in 2010. - ask about our journey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page