Not Mamas.......Yet Tribe Part XVI (Spring 2008) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1110 Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the Not Mamas... Yet Tribe, Part XVI (Spring 2008)

(with thanks to Rico'sAlice for most of this text)

:

Iaorana! As-salaamu `alaykum! Merhaba! Γεια σου! Ãyubõván! Jambo! Hola! Boa tarde! Ciao! Guten Tag! Bonjour! Magandang Hapon Po! Selamat petang! Konnichiwa!

Hello! Returning members, glad you made it over, hope the trip wasn't too hard. Just put your feet up and relax for a while. We've got organic lemonade, coffee (regular and Swiss-water-process decaf), pastured raw milk, kombucha, kefir, whatever you're into. (No EBM available here- Sorry. Check out the Love Threadfor that.)

Newbies! We are sooo excited you're here. We hope you stay a while and never leave... unless it is because you become a mama. Of course there are a few long-time thread members who are now pregnant and we haven't managed to kick them off yet so there's really no good reason why you can't stay here for the. rest. of. your. life. (Did that come across as a little too intense?) Here's a post especially for those of you who are new to this thread.

Anyway, this thread was originally started to give those of us who are not yet parents a forum here at MDC to discuss the unique concerns of those who are into NFL, and excited about AP but don't have any munchkins to apply these concepts to...yet. (Although some of us have furbabies, young family members, students, etc. that we are involved with.)

As I mentioned, a few of us have gotten pregnant while here, others are TTC now, some in the next few years, some of us aren't even close. We've also had the occasional visitor that is a "Not Mama...EVER" ie, male nannies and such. We're happy to have all y'all!

The original thread was started waaaay back in November of 2002. We will all miss it dearly but at 2500 posts we feared it was becoming intimidating to new members. In September 2006 we began Not Mamas Yet II and the thread went mad. In less than a month we tallied well over 1000 posts and gained several new very active members...and we want more!!! October 2006 brought another rapidly moving thread and the launch of a NMY Fitness Thread. Then, one of our NMYs became a new mama and the NMY Graduates Love Thread was born. Now, every month or so, we start a new thread.

So here we are. And here you are. Let the party begin!:

NMY Offshoot Threads

NMY Graduates Love Thread
NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part Two
NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part Three
NMY Fitness Thread

Past NMY Threads

Part XV - Winter 2007/2008
Part XIV- October/November 2007
Part XIII- September 2007
Part XII- August 2007
Part XI- July 2007
Part X- June 2007
Part IX - April/May 2007
Part VIII - March 2007
Part VII - February 2007
Part VI - January 2007
Part V - December 2006
Part IV - November 2006
Part III - October 2006
Part II - September 2006
Part I - November 2002 to August 2006

Official NMY Status Roster
Getting to know you...getting to know all about you...

Post in the thread if you want your information added, updated, or changed. If it seems as if I didn't see it, send me a PM. Thanks!

Graduates

Katt, age 30 - mama to :Teotimo since 12/27/06
~Shanna~ - mama to :Fenton Edward since 3/26/07
Holiztic - mama to :Quinn since 4/13/07
BeccaBear, age 28 - mama to :Alexander Lewis since 5/6/07
Rico'sAlice, age 27 - mama to :Johannes Edward since 5/20/07
turtle81 , age 25 - mama to :Phillip since 6/02/07
farmama, age 29 - mama to :Natalina since 7/17/07
Maela, age 26 - mama to :Maev since 7/17/07
jodib, age 29 - mama to :Rosalie Jayne since 7/23/07
PiePie, age 36 - mama to : since 8/16/07
arelyn, age 25 - mama to :Micaiah since 8/16/07
hazieluna, age 35 - mama to :Aidan Sebastian since 9/15/07
ATD_Mom, age 32 - mama to :Alasdair since 9/16/07
Sihaya, age 24 - mama to :Calvin since 12/22/07

Pregnant

Alcyone, age 29
blizzard_babe
cking
GathererGirl, age 27
snozzberry, age 29
witchygrrl, age 29
zoebird, age 31
babysnyder'smommy, age 25

TTC Currently:

binkin
DvlDg, age 24
MrsMiller, age 22
MujerMamaMismo, age 28
oneKnight, age 21
Frog, age 37
barose
CalaRei
CourtBChase

TTC 2008

Mama Khi, age 30
Patronia, planning on August 2008
sphinxie, age 29, planning on Spring 2008
stretch358, age 31, planning on Summer 2008
JessicaRenee
willowbean
MamaDK
zejh
APBTlover
Angi
kriket

TTC 2009

AsYouWish
doulaLeah
crunchysamma
Hellga

TTC 2010 and beyond

Charliemae, age 20
Just_Isabel, age 22
Kyamo, age 23
Lambsauce, age 18
Rico'sAlice, age 27 (TTC #2)
Shaina, age 18
Sk8ermaiden, age 23
CAndMe
Kimiij, age 23
ashcav
akaisha, age 22
Oiseau

Not Sure Yet

anonyma, age 33
asoulunbound, age 20
Jenne, age 30
joiedevivre184, age 19
ladyinred, age 26
MsHelena, age 22
TwilightJoy, age 21
justbecca, age 21
MonkeyScience
JlyGrnMigt
Hesperia
Sage.Naissance
Andee

Planning to Adopt

w8ing4myDD, age 37, adopting from China in 2009
crunchysamma
justbecca
MamaDK

Birthdays:

January
MamaDK...6th

February
Monkeyscience...5th
Akaisha...6th, 1986
snozzberry…Kelly…9th, 1978
Kyamo…10th, 1985
Sihaya…Steph…12th, 1983

March
Frog...2nd
justbecca...5th
stretch358…5th
Alcyone…Lorry…7th, 1978
CAndMe...8th
AsYouWish...13th, 1977

April
MujerMamaMismo…4th, 1979
Lambsauce…Allie…7th, 1989
Rico'sAlice…Alice…9th, 1980
JessicaRenee...10th, 1988
~Shanna~…14th
oneKnight…14th
anonyma…21st, 1974
willowbean....26th, 1979
CalaRei....27th
APBTlover

May
Binkin…4th
witchygrrl…12th
ashcav...22nd, 1987
blizzard_babe…Sara…24th, 1979
Patronia...29th

June
Sk8ermaiden...20, 1984
Jenne…24th
PiePie…27th

July
Angi...2nd, 1970
arelyn…4th, 1982
ladyinred… 4th, 1981
CourtBChase...11th
doulaLeah...14th, 1982
GatherGirl... 15th, 1982

August

cking…Christina…4th
Oiseau...5th
Andee...9th, 1985
Charliemae…Charlene…14th, 1987
Sage.Naissance...28

September
Kimiij...1st...1984
DvlDg...5th
babysnyder'smommy...6th
Hellga...16th, 1984
Mama Khi…25, 1977

October
JlyGrnMigt...8th...1979
BeccaBear…Rebecca…10th, 1979
MrsMiller…Barbara…12th, 1984
Hesperia...12th

November
zejh...18th

December

barose...1st
Shaina…5th, 1988
semisnotapirate…Sara…24th, 1984

Hey baby…what's your sign?

Capricorn
farmama
MamaDK

Aquarius
Just_Isabel
Katt
Sihaya
snozzberry
monkeyscience
Akaisha

Pisces
Alcyone
AsYouWish
Holiztic
MsHelena
stretch358
justbecca
CAndMe
Frog

Aries
MujerMamaMismo
oneKnight
Rico'sAlice
~Shanna~
JessicaRenee

Taurus

anonyma
binkin
wateraddict
witchygrrl
CalaRei
willowbean

Gemini

blizzard_babe
Maela
w8ing4myDD
Sk8ermaiden
Patronia
ashcav

Cancer
Jenne
PiePie
zoebird
doulaLeah
Angi
CourtBChase
kriket

Leo

Charliemae
cking
Andee
Oiseau

Virgo
DvlDg
Kimiij
Sage.Naissance
Hellga

Libra

BeccaBear
Mama Khi
MrsMiller
babysnyder'smommy
JlyGrnMigt
Hesperia

Scorpio

zejh

Sagittarius
Shaina
barose

Post in the thread if you want your information added, updated, or changed. If it seems as if I didn't see it, send me a PM. Thanks!

Bex, 25, wheelchair.gif currently only mom to my 3cat.gif, happily reading and learning until i have kids of my own!

#2 of 1110 Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Hehe... you stole my idea for upping my post count... I was going to wait till March 1st, though. Especially since it doesn't seem very springy yet! (Although it was above freezing today + sunny... yay!)

Also, can you add me to the list under the 'Not Sure Yet' category? Also, my b-day is February 5th and I'm an Aquarius.

One last thing... the top of the welcome message still says it's Winter 2007 & Part XV.

But otherwise... YAY!!! ::::

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#3 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 AM

thanks for stating a new thread

upsidedown.gif Charlie~ partners.gif Married to my best friendheartbeat.gif 5/11 slingboy.gif Mama to my Teddy Bear Rainbow.gif 7/12  pos.gif Due with #2 stork-suprise.gif 6/14
#4 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 01:00 AM

Hey, can you add me to 2010 and beyond (I'm 23), and June 20, 1984, and I'm a Gemini. Thanks!

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#5 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 01:10 AM

Thanks for starting the new thread, justbecca! Way to go!

As a long-time NMY (even if I mostly lurk), I am now ashamed of my own lack of initiative. : :
#6 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 AM

Thank you for this lovely new thread! Of course, I'm not going to be in it long at all. I've been contracting off and on all weekend, in fact.
#7 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GathererGirl View Post
Thank you for this lovely new thread! Of course, I'm not going to be in it long at all. I've been contracting off and on all weekend, in fact.
WOOT!!
#8 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Yay! Good luck, soon-to-be mama!

I'm very excited... I had a long, birth-related conversation with my mom tonight, and she wasn't AT ALL weirded out by my interest in birth. She didn't seem uncomfortable with all the things I know about it, or that I think I want to be an OB. She's crunchier than I knew! I knew that she birthed 4 of her 5 children without an epidural. (She had an epidural with my older brother, but she said my dad ordered it and it was really more for his sake than for hers - She'd been in labor and awake and not eating for 24 hours. My brother was eventually delivered via forceps.) I didn't know she really opposed epidurals. I knew she was against elective c-sections, pitocin, and scheduled inductions. I didn't know she was against episiotomies, enemas, and shaving, and for walking around, eating, and drinking throughout labor. It was a really a great bonding experience to talk to her. I hope I get her no-morning-sickness and no-miscarriage genes! She had to get off the phone before we could talk about everything I wanted to, but when I said, "You have to call me so we can talk about cloth diapers!" she was excited to talk again.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
#9 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post

I'm very excited... I had a long, birth-related conversation with my mom tonight, and she wasn't AT ALL weirded out by my interest in birth. She didn't seem uncomfortable with all the things I know about it, or that I think I want to be an OB. She's crunchier than I knew! I knew that she birthed 4 of her 5 children without an epidural. (She had an epidural with my older brother, but she said my dad ordered it and it was really more for his sake than for hers - She'd been in labor and awake and not eating for 24 hours. My brother was eventually delivered via forceps.) I didn't know she really opposed epidurals. I knew she was against elective c-sections, pitocin, and scheduled inductions. I didn't know she was against episiotomies, enemas, and shaving, and for walking around, eating, and drinking throughout labor. It was a really a great bonding experience to talk to her. I hope I get her no-morning-sickness and no-miscarriage genes! She had to get off the phone before we could talk about everything I wanted to, but when I said, "You have to call me so we can talk about cloth diapers!" she was excited to talk again.
You are so lucky to have such a supportive mom! That's wonderful.

With my own mom it will be a constant struggle. I think when she starts in on my birth choices I'm going to open by having her watch "The Business of Being Born" and take it from there.

#10 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Changes made to here

Quote:
Good Luck, easy labor vibes!

Quote:

See, i'm SO lucky in the mom respect. I was born at home, after 70ish (!) hours of labor, in the living room of the house my parents still live in. Which i think is awesome. I was Child-Led weaned long before there was a term, and grew up hearing how i would have been a c-section if my mom had been in the hospital. As well as how hard it was for her to BF, and she tried and tried and had to work really hard and how LLL was awesome in helping and...yeah. And i was CD'ed....with the horrid pins and plastic pants, but i was. My dad somehow recently was telling a story of doing CDs on a plane with me...i have no idea how we got there but still, it was funny. But then again my parents are old hippies...:

Bex, 25, wheelchair.gif currently only mom to my 3cat.gif, happily reading and learning until i have kids of my own!

#11 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
You are so lucky to have such a supportive mom! That's wonderful.

With my own mom it will be a constant struggle. I think when she starts in on my birth choices I'm going to open by having her watch "The Business of Being Born" and take it from there.
I was TOTALLY caught off guard by how much my mom and I are on the same page! I guess I should have realized my mom is actually crunchier than me, in many regards (she's a lot more of a believer in alternative medicine than me... I'm a very skeptical scientist who wants numbers!), but still... I guess I'm still just thinking back to how absolutely and incredibly awkward it was when I first got my period, and how my parents NEVER had "The Talk" with me - just one super-awkward conversation about telling them if anyone ever touched me inappropriately. My, how things change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbecca View Post
Changes made to here

See, i'm SO lucky in the mom respect. I was born at home, after 70ish (!) hours of labor, in the living room of the house my parents still live in. Which i think is awesome. I was Child-Led weaned long before there was a term, and grew up hearing how i would have been a c-section if my mom had been in the hospital. As well as how hard it was for her to BF, and she tried and tried and had to work really hard and how LLL was awesome in helping and...yeah. And i was CD'ed....with the horrid pins and plastic pants, but i was. My dad somehow recently was telling a story of doing CDs on a plane with me...i have no idea how we got there but still, it was funny. But then again my parents are old hippies...:
That's cool! My mom is rather unenthusiastic about homebirth, but we're still sort of on the same page there. I understand it's a wonderful and fairly safe thing to do, but I don't think I'm ready to go there yet. She very much believes that you need to find the right doctor to work with you to achieve a natural birth, and that you have to be on the offensive at the hospital.

I was CD'd, something I frequently forget, 'cause I don't even know if there WERE disposables then. Or maybe they were really expensive. Dunno. My two youngest brothers weren't CD'd, so I don't know what changed.

When I told my mom I was surprised by some of her views tonight, she said, "What can I say, I'm just an old hippie liberal tree-hugger!" To which I responded, "So I got it genetically!" To understand this, you have to realize that my family (and I) are in general politically and socially conservative. "Hippie liberal tree-hugger" is a sort of insult in my family, and my brothers tease me about going to a "Yankee school" (we live in Texas, I'm at school in Illinois) and becoming a "hippie liberal tree-hugger." They're teasing, but they do think I'm a little weird at times. So, yeah, apparently I come by it honestly!

#12 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:

That's cool! My mom is rather unenthusiastic about homebirth, but we're still sort of on the same page there. I understand it's a wonderful and fairly safe thing to do, but I don't think I'm ready to go there yet. She very much believes that you need to find the right doctor to work with you to achieve a natural birth, and that you have to be on the offensive at the hospital.
I've heard you mention that you're going to be here in Houston. It's one of the absolute worst cities in the country (maybe world) for a hospital birth. We've got a 40% c-section rate - natural birth is almost completely unheard of, no matter how nicely (or meanly) you yell about it. This is one of the best medical centers in the world, and I think it has made the doctors feel like they know far more than their patients. The infant mortality rate in hospitals here is pretty terrible for the US/acclaimed medical center.

I also am not quite "ready to go there", but I think a birth center birth is a little more in my comfort zone, even if it is identical to a HB. It just fits more with my mainstream upbringing. You are in labor, you go somewhere, professionals help you give birth, you come home.

But then, were you the one who wanted to be an OB? Maybe then they'll listen to you more than "normal" moms.

#13 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I've heard you mention that you're going to be here in Houston. It's one of the absolute worst cities in the country (maybe world) for a hospital birth. We've got a 40% c-section rate - natural birth is almost completely unheard of, no matter how nicely (or meanly) you yell about it. This is one of the best medical centers in the world, and I think it has made the doctors feel like they know far more than their patients. The infant mortality rate in hospitals here is pretty terrible for the US/acclaimed medical center.

I also am not quite "ready to go there", but I think a birth center birth is a little more in my comfort zone, even if it is identical to a HB. It just fits more with my mainstream upbringing. You are in labor, you go somewhere, professionals help you give birth, you come home.

But then, were you the one who wanted to be an OB? Maybe then they'll listen to you more than "normal" moms.
Man, that's TERRIBLE! 40%? Sheesh.

I've wanted a birth center birth since I first heard of them... when I was around 12, I think. It just sounded so... nice.

They might listen to me more, I dunno know. I think I'd want a doula if I were doing a hospital birth. Actually, I wonder if my mom's ever thought about being a doula...

#14 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 12:28 PM

YAY GathererGirl! Here's to a great labor and birth!:

Y'all are lucky to have such supportive moms. I am still waiting to get "the talk" Can anyone here tell me how babies are made? lol.:

lisa

: Mama to 2
Waiting 3 years and counting to be a mama to a non-furry babe...
#15 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 PM

My mother is somewhat granola, though she had epidurals and hospital births for both my brother and I and says 'just you wait' and that I will surely get an epidural, despite the fact that I am basing my entire life and career on the concept that women can give birth naturally! I am definitely inviting my mom to my birth so she can watch me do it, in fact I'd like to have her catch!
(I am definitely homebirthing- my TTC depends on my TTFAH-trying to find a husband! haha)
But my mum was young, 23, and a nurse(a whole hearted believer in the medical system), but shes coming around these days, she at least thinks midwifery is pretty cool, but thinks I am a doctor hater(I am not). But back in the day she cloth diapered, baby wore, BFed and cuddled me to the max, back when that wasn't much heard of. She actually never saw anyone else babywear, she just found a baby carrier and thought it was dead brilliant
I often think my mom would be a great doula because shes amazingly supportive and lovely, but then she doesnt really get natural CB, so I guess shes just a great nurse. Maybe after she catches my babes at home she'll have a revalation and become a midwife!
#16 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the new thread.

There was a new baby born recently. Check the grad thread.

GathererGirl, I didn't realize you were so close. :

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#17 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8ing4myDD View Post
Y'all are lucky to have such supportive moms. I am still waiting to get "the talk" Can anyone here tell me how babies are made? lol.:

lisa
Oh, so THAT'S why you're adopting... you never figured out the "other" way of getting babies. (Just to be 100% clear, I think adoption is AWESOME!)

Yeah, I never got "the talk", but now my mom is fine with discussing all this stuff with me. Well, we generally don't talk much about sex. That one still seems to be taboo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage.Naissance View Post
(I am definitely homebirthing- my TTC depends on my TTFAH-trying to find a husband! haha)
That is THE.BEST.ACRONYM.EVER! It is being added to my sig as soon as I get done with this post. I'm TOTALLY with you on the TTFAH-dependent TTC. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage.Naissance View Post
But back in the day she cloth diapered, baby wore, BFed and cuddled me to the max, back when that wasn't much heard of. She actually never saw anyone else babywear, she just found a baby carrier and thought it was dead brilliant
My mom was a lot like that... BFing is just what you DID, although I know she used formula for when she wasn't home (not that often). Cloth diapers... I guess they were cheaper? I still need to ask. And babywearing... well, it's just so darn USEFUL! When I had to do a flourbaby project in HS, she made me a carrier from the same pattern she used to make the carrier she used for all of her kids. I still have it, and I'm going to use it with my kids, even if it IS a Sound-of-Music carrier (i.e., made from leftover curtain fabric)!

#18 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 05:44 PM

Wow, this new thread really took off!

My mom and I have been talking more recently about going more natural in our daily lives, things like household cleaner and the dangers of some of the chemicals in things. She's finding it hard to change a lot but is making small changes which I'm happy to see.

When I told her my two bff's were CDing she was a bit sceptical. She said that she tried them on my older brother and "that was the only time he didn't sleep through the night" so I know we weren't co-slept and we were both in disposables. However my aunt CDed all five of her kids and my mom thought that was great. She was also supportive of me switching to a Keeper and cloth pads. She actually taught a home ec. class of girls (when home ec. was just taught to girls) how to make cloth pads back in the 70's but she was very much a tampon woman.

My mom's very much a feminist and she and my dad always seemed to be very liberal and ecologically minded which rubbed off a lot on me, but I think I'm going even further than they did but they're supportive of that. I'm mainly worried about my aunt who I love so much and is like a second mother to me and is a pediatrition and GP. I told her a little about my bff's experiences and she didn't seem too shocked or anything but I didn't really go into the details of no vax, no inducing, no eye drops, no ultra sound, the things that I'm really worried about. The co-sleeping, the cding the babywearing, the bfing, I don't think I'll have any problems getting support for those things, it's the labour part I'm worried about.

I'm also a little worried about my soon to be MIL. I've moved to my Dbf's home town with him so we see his family a lot more than mine. She has said how she hated bfing and how she couldn't imagine why anyone would do it past when the baby gets teeth. Now, I'm planning to mostly not have his family as involved in our lives when we have kids. They're not very involved in it now (thank goodness) and I'd like to keep it that way quite frankly.

I could rant all day

Good luck Gathergirl!
#19 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM

Hey guys! Whew, I'm still recovering from very nearly passing out at the gym! Must be more careful about eating a proper breakfast with a proper time interval before working out

My mom considered a homebirth, but the mws told her to cover everything at home in plastic in case her water broke, so she decided to do a hospital birth. Now that all sounds funny to me because your water can break at home and make a mess no matter where you are going to give birth, and there's no need to cover everything in plastic anyway. Ah, the 70s. I think in those days, despite the hippie movement, there wasn't much of a difference between 'crunchy' and 'non-crunchy' parenting... mostly just an attempt to keep violence and sugary cereals out of the kid's experience.

So my mom has some views on parenting that I wouldn't agree with (against co-sleeping and extended BF), but I don't think she's that attached to them. I think that now that I'm more informed, thanks to mdc, and can tell her more about the pros and cons, I think she'll find all that interesting and be glad for me
#20 of 1110 Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 PM

My mother was kinda AP (She breastfed till I was like, 6 months old, I co-slept till I was nine etc) but she has very "Pain = bad, Pain RELIEF = Good" views. But she's been surprisingly accepting of what I want to parent like (Especially the unassisted birthing, I would have NEVER thought she'd accept that) she also told me the other day that she "doesn't care how long a breastfeed for" .

Lu - A ten year plan is forming, here's hoping everything lines up
#21 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 AM

Argh--we just found out that one of DH's fairly close friends is 5 months pregnant. Apparently she didn't tell everyone at first and then she sort of forgot for awhile, heh. I don't know but it seems like it was probably an oops... it is hard to hear or think about it for me. She'll be having the baby exactly around the same time that we're tentatively planning to start TTC. And I am not feeling totally confident about things, about DH being reliable for support when the poop hits the fan. He is so great overall, but still has his issues, that I don't want to deal with while we're both more or less hormonal and sleep deprived and stressed... And yet the determination to have a little one just grows stronger every day.
#22 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Yay! 2010 and beyond, March 8 (pisces)

I am always suprised by who agrees with my opinions on birth/parenting. I work at a kid's store so these things come up pretty often between the employees and myself (the youngest) and the 70-something great-grandma always agree on things. The other day she said something like 'Breastfeeding really is the only right way to feed a baby. I don't understand why everyone doesn't' Where as the 3 30-somethings talk about how hard breastfeeding would be (though they didn't try) and how 'formula is just as good, my kids turned out fine'. Although, the most mainstream one did have to have one of her daughters in a birth center for some reason and she much preferred it to the hospital and wished she hadn't gotten an epidural with the first
#23 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 PM

Hey everyone I'm new to MDC and this is my first post!!!
Could you add me to the Pregnant group. I'm 25, 9/6/1982 Virgo!
Thank you
#24 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Did GG have her baby yet? I'm so behind on this tribe--thanks for the new thread!

Come ponder with me about food!
#25 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patronia View Post
My mother was kinda AP (She breastfed till I was like, 6 months old, I co-slept till I was nine etc) but she has very "Pain = bad, Pain RELIEF = Good" views. But she's been surprisingly accepting of what I want to parent like (Especially the unassisted birthing, I would have NEVER thought she'd accept that) she also told me the other day that she "doesn't care how long a breastfeed for" .

I know my mom will be supportive about the breastfeeding. I was breastfed (not 100% exclusive though, she couldn't get the hang of the pump) for I think about 10-11 months and she says I weaned myself. Probably a nursing strike I guess, but had she known about that I bet it would have been longer. And I know I was never hit - they did time-outs and stuff as a toddler, though. I was also cloth diapered with flats, pins, and plastic pants. We still use those diapers for painting rags. I don't expect any resistance to midwife/birthing centre either, but co-sleeping - not so sure. Actually I already have resistance to co-sleeping from my husband, he's afraid of squishing baby. I don't know how that will turn out yet.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#26 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post
Actually I already have resistance to co-sleeping from my husband, he's afraid of squishing baby. I don't know how that will turn out yet.
My husband Will definitely squish our baby, he has squished me numerous times and nearly suffocated me once.

I guess I should explain. He fell asleep with his hand under my neck and pillow. When he rolled over he just curled his arm over taking the pillow (which was now covering my face) and head with him. I had to kick him numerous times before he woke up and released me. He tries not to fall asleep like that any more.

My solution to co sleeping is to sidecar a crib so I will be between DH and Babe until it is a little older, or he starts sleeping lighter.

DS 4/11

#27 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

changes made to here. Please post changes in bold to help make sure i see them. Thanks

#28 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That is THE.BEST.ACRONYM.EVER! It is being added to my sig as soon as I get done with this post. I'm TOTALLY with you on the TTFAH-dependent TTC. :
Can we change it to TTFAP?? As my partner is not likely to be male-gendered, but i still want to be part of the club. Oh heck, i'm just changing it anyway. Now just tell the cute girl in my chem class to ask me out and everything will be good!:

#29 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
And I am not feeling totally confident about things, about DH being reliable for support when the poop hits the fan. He is so great overall, but still has his issues, that I don't want to deal with while we're both more or less hormonal and sleep deprived and stressed... And yet the determination to have a little one just grows stronger every day.
Wow, Sphinxie, I could have totally written this myself. s to you!

I really thought adulthood would be so much easier than this, you know? You grow up, you fall in love, you commit your life to someone, you create a cheerful home and a fulfilling career, and then you have babies. And even though I am pretty much following that list, there is nothing easy about it.

I think I just move through life without any sense of grace whatsoever. :: <---See?
#30 of 1110 Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbecca View Post
Can we change it to TTFAP?? As my partner is not likely to be male-gendered, but i still want to be part of the club. Oh heck, i'm just changing it anyway. Now just tell the cute girl in my chem class to ask me out and everything will be good!:
Hey, it's not my acronym... do what you like.

BTW... my older brother called today to say that this weekend he bought a ring. Yes, THAT kind of ring. Yesterday night, he asked his GF's father (after some prodding from her) for his blessing to marry his daughter. He said yes, so it's only a matter of time until the engagement becomes official! Then maybe they'll have a baby for me to "play" with... :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page