Tell me about birthing at Umass Memorial Hospital, Worcester! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-07-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am 24 weeks pregnant. I had been thinking about switching to Emerson Hospital, but I wanted to get some information from some mommies who have birthed at Umass Memorial, Worcester. I appreciate all responses!
Thanks
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 PM

I am a doula who has attended a lot of births there and would be happy to answer any specific questions.

I have seen many good and bad births there, just like anyplace else...

What exactly do you want to know?
#3 of 5 Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 PM

I opted for a home birth, but I've heard great things about UMass Memorial, several people I know have birthed there. My 5 year old had surgery there a few months ago and I thought the entire hospital was outstanding. Have a great birth!
#4 of 5 Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonit View Post
I am a doula who has attended a lot of births there and would be happy to answer any specific questions.

I have seen many good and bad births there, just like anyplace else...

What exactly do you want to know?
I know it is a teaching hospital, so I'm just trying to find out how open they are to different styles of birth and how they deal with mothers who want to try birthing in other positions, etc. Basically just want a general feel for what giving birth at that hospital is like. Thanks
#5 of 5 Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 PM

They offer a Hypnobirthing class there, so that's a good sign! I had a doula, birth plan, etc., but ended up with a c-section. I never really got to try laboring because my son (supposedly?) wasn't tolerating labor well from the very beginning. The on-call doctor tried every test possible before proceeding to a c-section, because he knew how badly I wanted to try natural non-medicated childbirth. He delayed as much as possible, too.

It seemed like I was going to be able to use different positions, the shower, walking, etc. They were open to me using my own music and keeping the room dark.

In any case, I loved my time there! I got to see the LC a few times during my stay because we had latch issues, and I even got a Medela Pump in Style for free (well, covered by insurance -- but the nurse filed it as required because of my son's latch and blood sugar problems). I was able to leave a day early without any problems. Aside from not being in control during/after the surgery, I did feel like I was in control afterward. Toby slept in the crook of my arm in my bed. It was the sweetest sleep ever!

Cristina
CPST and mom to Toby 6/06 and Caleb 8/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page