Newly pregnant and overwhelmed in NoVA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Manassas currently but will be moving to Gainesville in June. My estimated due date is last week of October. I haven't been to a doctor yet, though I do have an appointment in April. This is an unexpected first pregnancy for me, though I've spent the past month doing a lot of research. I'd like to have a midwife, but I don't think homebirth is a good fit (we live in an apartment). Fauquier and Prince William do not allow midwives in the hospital, and the only birthing center I've seen is in Arlington, and hard to get into.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I need feedback. Should I go for the OB at Fauquier, or should I try to get into a birthing center while there is still time?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#2 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 AM

I lived in NJ when I had my first two. Both times I choose midwives who delivered 45 minutes from me (90 minutes if there was traffic). It did get old driving to appointments but I know it was the best decision for me at the time.

I would say try the birth center. If you don't like it you can always switch to the hospital, but it would be hard to switch the birth center later.

Best wishes!
#3 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 AM

are there any other reasons you feel like homebirth wouldn't be a good fit for you, or is it just because you live in an apartment? You certainly don't have to have your own house to have a homebirth.
#4 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 02:25 PM

yeah, i was wondering the same thing. i was a little weary of the idea of homebirth with my first and did it in a birth center. it was a fine experience, but totally paled in comparison to my second birth - a homebirth, in an apartment BTW

What birth center is in Arlington? Do you mean Birthcare in Alexandria? They are the m/w's i used for my homebirth and they were wonderful! Though i don't know about that drive - if it were the wrong time of day it could take you hours to get there from Gainesville. i've been stuck in that traffic before and it's not nice. How far are you from Leesburg? There's a birth center there, and i've heard very positive things about them. it might be easier for you doing the 'reverse commute' driving away from the city instead of towards it. I also know there's a CNM who works in an OB practice in Culpeper, which isn't horribly far from Gainesville (maybe 45 minutes?). a friend of mine delivered her second with that CNM and loved her.

Also, there is a fantastic homebirth m/w right in Gainesville. it might be worth it to at least meet her and discuss your concerns about homebirth with her before you decide. you certainly wouldn't have to worry about her not making it to your house in time

Peggy Franklin, LM, CPM
www.birthbydesign.org
#5 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

You really think I could have a home birth in my dinky apartment? I think I will go see my doctor and try to meet with the m/w in Gainesville to discuss the feasability of a home birth. She is really close to us.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#6 of 15 Old 03-21-2008, 10:43 AM

We serve families who live in condos, apartments, etc and that has never been a problem. In fact, we were discussing this yesterday with a mom planning ahead for her next pregnancy.

My partner, Lori Orme, is in Warrenton - Traditionalmidwiferyofnova.com.

Good for you for considering out of hospital birth for your first birth!

:-) Tammi McKinley

Woman, Wife, Midwife, and Homeschool Momma to Regan (97) and Braeden HBAC, 00) :
#7 of 15 Old 03-21-2008, 01:34 PM

I tried to reply last night but it wouldn't post.

I'm positive many a baby has been born in a "dinky apartment" and lesser places. If what you truly want is a home birth you should go for it!
#8 of 15 Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Hey, I delivered at Fauquier and all of the nurses are very nice, and accomadating. They followed my birth plan very well. Even with the confusion of donating cord blood (plenty of people banking, I was the first donating) I would say the only down side is they don't have a traditional nursery if you end up having a hard delivery and need some rest. Although the nurses will take the baby to the nurses station if you need the rest.
More power to ya if you can swing the home birth ;0) not so strong here!
Kami
#9 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 08:57 PM

If your goal is to have an intervention free delivery that will be much more difficult to achieve. I have had a natural hospital birth as well as a birth center birth (at Birthcare in fact) and though they were both great births, lets just say I will be staying home next time. A close friend of mine delivered at home with Peggy Franklin (Baby #2 VBAC) and spoke very highly.
#10 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM

I meant that a natural birth is harder in hospital than out.
#11 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM

You can have a homebirth in an apartment! I lived in Gainesville when I planned a homebirth with my second (we transfered for totally unrelated reasons). And since there's only one apartment complex I know of in Gainesville, it's probably the same one and Peggy Franklin is REALLY close. I'd just give your neighbors a heads-up that you'll be birthing at home and to expect a little noise, or at the least tell them you'll labor at home. That's what I said and no one had a problem, they actually volunteered to watch my oldest if needed.

I'm sure you could also go to Birth Care in Alexandria if you're uncomfortable with homebirth for other reasons. I've heard great things about them.

If you do decide to go the hospital route, I really loved Dr. Ng who delivers at Prince William. He was very supportive of my decision to go natural and breastfeed, along with just being a personable man. But one of my biggest problems with hospitals IMHO, is you never know if your doctor will actually be on call when you go into labor. He wasn't, and I had an awful OB force me into an unneccesary C-section.

Good luck whatever you choose! There's some really good resources in that area if you take advantage of them!

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#12 of 15 Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 AM

I would still leave a Home birth as an option, I'm not sure why you would feel more restricted in an apartment?
I lived in Springfield, and Fairfax (we were in apt's both times) over the course of about 4 yrs until we moved down to VA Beach. The hospital situation up there is not good. And the C-sec rates are pretty bad too. I think Fairfax is up to 60% - info I got from a CNM there. I know it's not the same as Fauquier County, but it's still pretty scary anyway.
Is your concern about having a home birth in an apartment about the noise you might make during birth? Or about mess? Or about space to move around? I'm sure there are many of us that could encourage you about any concern you might have. Women all over NY are having HB's in there apartments... maybe someone from an NY group could give you some encouragement too? Just some suggestions.
Love
#13 of 15 Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the encouragement about home birth! Especially everyone who actually had one in my area!

My main concerns about trying a homebirth in an apartment is the lack of space and the potential disruption it could be to our neighbors.

Also I guess I am nervous about the idea of a homebirth itself. But the reason I am considering one is because I have done my research and I know the benefits, and I'm terrified of being forced into a cesarean and having that overshadow any future pregnancy.

#14 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM

I'd definitely go for a homebirth in an apartment. I'm a pretty quiet birther who doesn't move around a whole lot. But even if I wanted more space, I'd think it would be more pleasant walking around an apartment complex than hospital hallways. Does anyone really get so noisy they'd bother the neighbors? Even so, it's temporary.

I also highly recommend Peggy, who helped me birth my son.

Good luck!

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#15 of 15 Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 PM

I don't live in an apt, but I am in a townhouse with people on both sides. I had a TERRIFIC homebirth with Tammi, who replied to you(McKinIt). I highly encourage you to go for it. What's the worst your nieghbors can do, call the police? So they show up at the door, someone tells them what's up, and they leave. No problem. But if you go to a hospital, you could wind up with interventions that you never wanted and remember it forever. I know everyone here, me included, will support you no matter what decision you make, but you only get to have your first child once, and I believe it should be the way you really want, not the way you settled for.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page