tell me about the nw burbs of chicago... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are currently living in the burbs near the city, but we're looking at moving a little farther west and are trying to find out what's out there. Right now, I love being close to the city. Most of our friends are there and I feel I've found a community of like-minded people. But we have the chance to move farther out and own a place with a bit more space in Hoffman Estates. I'm just worried about what there is for us to do, especially as we begin our homeschooling adventures. We already spend a lot of time at Spring Valley in Schaumburg and I know they have homeschool programs. What else is out there? What do you natural mamas like out there?

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-31-2008, 12:06 AM

I grew up in Schaumburg, moved back to the town after living downtown for college (bought my first house there) and my parents still live there. There is SO MUCH to do in the Schaumburg/Hoffman area. The communities are extremely active and there is a dearth of social programs and services in the area. There are numerous cultural, social, and shopping opportunities. We moved further west (South Elgin/St. Charles area) so we could afford the kind of house we were looking for, but I really do miss Schaumburg. There is the Spring Valley Nature preserve, the Prairie Center for the Arts, Improv Comedy, (ugh, drawing a pg mental moment here.) There are numerous other opptys in the area. Also, nearby areas have additional theater and social opptys as well. Housing is not cheap there. If you have questions about certain areas feel free to PM me. Yes, there are actually some bad areas there. I can definitely tell you that of the 2 Schaumburg has better infrastructure and social services (police, fire, etc.) but both are great. I would never move back to the city.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#3 of 3 Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Hi! I live in Schaumburg and grew up in Hoffman Estates.

We do things at the Nature Center too, and there are several more in the area. Bartlett has one and so does Palatine. There are a lot of parks around and we use the Schaumburg pools a lot. The Schaumburg Park District has a lot of home school programs and so does Streamwood. Hoffman also has a new ice skating rink.

I do wish we had a zoo and a Children's museum that were closer, but Naperville isn't all that far away for the museum and Brookfield zoo isn't too bad of a ride.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page