Taylor or Southfield? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were supposed to buy a house in Grosse Pointe, but, sadly, that deal fell through. Now we're looking at two places; one in Taylor, one in Southfield.

I know that neither one is a fantastic option, but either would be better than the apartment that we're in now.

The Taylor house is a 3 bed, 1 bath with a (above ground) pool. The Southfield is a 2 bed one bath with an attached garage on a large lot with lots of trees.

Taylor would be closer to DH's job, Southfield would be closer to our families and my stepkids moms house. Both houses are the same price and I can almost guarantee that we won't be living there for more than 4 or 5 years.

I've never lived in or spent much time in either city. Which is better?

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#2 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM
jkg

I've never lived in either. I live in Dearborn, but I used to work in Taylor. Both Taylor and Southfield are pretty centrally located so, while they may not be great cities in themselves, you are close to freeway access. Sorry I can't be of any help!
#3 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 04:59 PM

If your hubby works a day job, Taylor. The commute down and up Southfield is a nightmare for regular office workers. When you travel to visit family it will be during the off hours, and not as bad. Stay off Southfield Freeway from 3:30 to 6:30 PM workdays.

Also the wear and tear on his car from the Southfield freeway will add up. Potholes, stop and go driving, and bad drivers are common.
#4 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
SMR

hi there! I live in Taylor and have for most of my life. I think it's an alright city.. nothing like Ann Arbor or anything like that.. I don't have a lot of knowledge about southfield.. what area specifically in Taylor are you looking? There are a couple of 'ghetto-ish' areas, that I wouldn't want to live in.. but most of the city is pretty decent.. I always feel safe walking around, the parks are nice and I feel like the city is making attempts to be a better place to live in regards to having more things to do and events going on.

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#5 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 08:37 PM

Southfield is not the best area to live in IMO, I used to work in Southfield.

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#6 of 16 Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM

I wouldn't do either

Try southgate We have tons of houses for sale here for under 140.
Same with riverview, wyandotte, allen park and dearborn.

Taylor and Southfield schools are not that great.

Trenton schools are amazing (I'm biased because I teach there and its just a great place)

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#7 of 16 Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 PM

I really don't know anything about Taylor.

I lived closer to Southfield for many years. There's a really nice library with a great children's section and a community pool. The Royal Oak farmer's market and the zoo aren't too far away, depending on where in Southfield.

Will your stepsons be going to school based on your location or their mother's location? Parts of Southfield are in the ********** school district, which is nice.

: Deirdre & the boys ('02 & '06 vintage)
#8 of 16 Old 04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Renee View Post
I wouldn't do either

Try southgate We have tons of houses for sale here for under 140.
Same with riverview, wyandotte, allen park and dearborn.

Taylor and Southfield schools are not that great.

Trenton schools are amazing (I'm biased because I teach there and its just a great place)
Having lived in Southgate and knowing people who live in all the other cities listed.. there really isn't a big difference in any of those cities and taylor.. Dearborn and Wyandotte have decent downtown areas.. I will agree that the schools in taylor aren't the greatest - but I'll be sending my daughter to a charter school, so it's not something I'm terribly worried about.

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#9 of 16 Old 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

We're still looking. Next on the list is Ecorse. Got any info on that?

I really wish that we could afford a nice place in a decent neighborhood in Detroit, but places like that are expensive and hard to find. Whereever we go, the boys will probably stay in school in Detroit near their mothers house because she doesn't drive and when they are with her during the week, they have to be able to walk.

always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#10 of 16 Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 PM

My ex-fiance was from Dearborn Heights and never had anything good to say about Ecorse. I don't know much else about it.

Where in Southfield is the house? Like most cities, there are nicer neighborhoods and not-so-nice ones. Southfield isn't far from Royal Oak, Ferndale or ********** so you'll have plenty of summer activities available.
#11 of 16 Old 04-03-2008, 07:02 AM

Ecorse - No!

Nu uh.

Lincoln Park - maybe. If you south of southfield.

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#12 of 16 Old 04-03-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Renee View Post
Ecorse - No!

Nu uh.

Lincoln Park - maybe. If you south of southfield.
Yeah, I took a look at Ecorse and I'm not too terribly fond of it. It'll really depend on the house. We have an appointment to look at a condo in Westland tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me.

#13 of 16 Old 04-03-2008, 07:08 PM
jkg

Have you considered Dearborn? Lots of homes for sale here with everything going on with Ford. All that said, while Dearborn is certainly not great, it's a nice place to live. City services are really good, public schools seem to rate well, and while there isn't a ton to do, what there is is pretty family-friendly. Just a thought...
#14 of 16 Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 AM

Do not look at Ecorse!! Its very ghetto!! This is from someone who was born and raised in Detroit. Right now I'm living in Dearborn as I was getting sick of all the crap in Detroit--higher taxes, insurance, crappy city services, having to pay city taxes, etc. I am paying so much less for insurance and property taxes than I would have if I stayed in Detroit. Plus as the previous poster said, city services are great--trash and recycling picked up, streets swept twice a month, streets plowed when needed, etc.

Out of southfield or taylor, I would say Taylor just for the commute time. Plus theres tons of stuff in the Taylor area, especially off of Eureka. Southgate and Wyandotte are nice too--my sister and mom live in Wyandotte. Lincoln Park is good too, but I would stay away from Melvindale as its a bit more ghetto.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#15 of 16 Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Where does your DH work? I wouldn't automatically discount Southfield, it depends on the neighborhood, there are areas closer to Lathrup Village/Beverly Hills that are really nice. Ferndale and Hazel Park are also pretty decent communities. The schools aren't the greatest in either, but there are some good deals on homes in both right now.
#16 of 16 Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Ecorse has much higher crime rates than either Taylor or Southfield.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page