Topeka/Lawrence Mamas Update.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our lives were turned upside down when Bruce lost his job. Well it looks like its going to change again.

He got a job offer and is going to accept!

Looks like we are moving to Kansas. So now to find a place to live and getting a moving company set up to move us. I just hope the budget they are giving us is enough. They are givng us a budget of $4k. I called United Vanlines and without a discount and without them viewing our stuff she said $8k. Holy Sh*t! It was only $5600 to move us from Southern Cal to Montana Nov 2006. We don't have the extra money!

He is on his way home. He just called and he is on this side of Big Timber. So I will know more details when he gets here.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 8 Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Welcome to Kansas!

I still vote Lawrence, fwiw.

Can you just load the truck yourself, drive it, then unload it here? Do you have a friend or relative who could help out in exchange for airfare back? Or maybe you could hire someone here to help unload--there is a group called Starving Artists Moving that does this sort of thing.

Good luck with the move!
#3 of 8 Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

United and Atlas gave us bids of nearly $8k. Right now we are leaning toward ABF. They would drop a trailer. The guy at United can hook us up with their movers and they could help us load it. Then we would get help on the other side.

We have too much stuff to move in order to do UHaul. I won't be released to drive either. I am having the baby on May 12th via c-section and we are moving out May 20thish.

We found a place in West Lawrence. Now we are waiting for the approval on it which would be Tuesday at the latest.

ETA - Also we nearly 12,000 pounds plus two cars that have to be moved. A UHaul holds like 7,000 pounds. We don't have family or friends here in town to help us to not only load but to drive trucks/vehicles.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 8 Old 05-04-2008, 03:14 PM

I've heard great things about ABF, and i'm pretty sure its cheaper than the other two places you listed. I hope you get it all figured out, and have a peaceful stress-free move...I can't beleive your doing it so soon after having a baby. Thats amazing. West lawrence is nice, we are moving to the nw side of town in the fall. I hope you like it here.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#5 of 8 Old 05-04-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
I've heard great things about ABF, and i'm pretty sure its cheaper than the other two places you listed. I hope you get it all figured out, and have a peaceful stress-free move...I can't beleive your doing it so soon after having a baby. Thats amazing. West lawrence is nice, we are moving to the nw side of town in the fall. I hope you like it here.
We had friends use ABF several years ago from Colorado Springs to Portland with no problems. We need to look at insurance. Not sure if our homeowners will cover it or if we need additional coverage thru ABF.

Hey, question about utilities. Who do I contact for:

Water/Sewer
Gas
Electric
Satelite TV
Internet
Telephone
Cell Phone
Trash

We have our internet/telephone/cell phone/satelite bundled thru Qwest. But Qwest isn't in KS.

#6 of 8 Old 05-04-2008, 06:59 PM

I'm not sure i'm allowed to post telephone #'s, but here they are,

Westar for electric - 800-383-1183
city of lawrence for water/sewer and sanitation - 785-832-7878
Aquila for gas - 800-303-0752
then there is sunflower broadband for cable- 785-841-2100
, i think we also have time warner here too,
then SBC for phone.
As far as satelite i don't know, and cell phones you can probably just keep the same provider you had before if its a well known company like att, or verizon.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#7 of 8 Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

We officially got the townhouse yesterday, so now I have an address to work with.

#8 of 8 Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Dar

Lawrence freenet does internet, too... it's cheaper, and they give free internet to low income people with kids so it's a good cause...

How west are you? It gets a bit suburbia out there, but you can always drive over to the funky east side and hang with Lori and me...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page