Tell me about the Syracuse area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is a good place to live with children? It doesn't necessarily have to be in Syracuse. Our kids are going to be 3 and 5. We spend at least an hour outside every day, so access to nature is a plus. We want to get into snow shoeing this winter. My DH will be teaching at SU, so something near there is appealing.

Where are good places to go to school? My son currently attends a Waldorf school, which is a great fit for out family. We are looking for a school that puts a lot of emphasis on play, without focusing on academics. We will homeschool if we can't find a school for our son like this.

Some of my passions are homebirth, LLL/breastfeeding, insight meditation, yoga, knitting, and spending time outdoors. My husband is into biofuels. We are currently members of a UU congregation. We like belonging to a CSA. Any tips on where to live or find folks with similar interests, good resources for kids, or just general cool things would be much appreciated.

Warmly,
ZM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-11-2008, 10:39 AM

Hi there! Fayetteville is the home of Green Lakes State Park which is a very nice area for spending time outdoors. It's not too far from SU either. It's a fairly spendy area to live though from what I understand.

Can't help you on the schools. Our kids attend in ********* and it's a pretty good system, but it doesn't sound like what you're after.

Good luck settling in and finding all of the things you need!

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#3 of 5 Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The university area is populated with professors and their kids, students and a variety of other people and you can easily get by on foot.
It is a very convenient villagey type neighborhood.
**The Montessori school (pre-k thru 6th grade) is in walking distance (or a few minute drive). (A Waldorf is in Ithaca)
**The public school - I hear good things about it, but most of the city schools have a low rating (My son will be entering 1st grade in the fall, so I am just gathering information).
**There is a large play yard park (Barry Park) where many moms and kids congregate.
**There is a creek, pond and forest off of this park, with a hiking trail (good for snowshoeing / cross country skiing / walking)
**There is also the Morningside Heights Park / Reservoir in the neighborhood. Inside the woods you can find 125 historic cobblestone steps leading up the hill, or you can walk up the road to the reservoir and then down a hiking trail. There is also a community garden in this park. One can rent a plot and grow grow grow.
**The Syracuse Food Coop is located in this area (organic / local food that meets all ones needs)
**There are a couple CSAs that delivery to the city. (or a 1/2 - 45 minute drive) (Grindstone Farm; Wake Robin Farm)
**The housing market is doing great in this area (Syracuse was named 4th in the County to see the greatest price gains this year by CNN") Houses in the university area range 120,000 - 174,000 and 200,000+ (1500 square feet, 3 bed 1.5 bath) .
**The neighborhood is oldish (built in the 1920 circa) and there are hills and dales throughout and lots of trees.
**There are non-intrusive yet handy strip malls within a 5 minute drive (grocery store, liquor, pharmacy, bagels, hardware etc)
**There is also a yoga studio (Morningside Yoga) in the area, a few houses away from Barry park.

There is a nearby neighborhood (Westcott) which is host to neighborhood restaurants and a little bit of action....(and the off streets are filled with HUGE trees and old victorian houses that have been rehabilitated ... when one comes up for sale the go quick)

Downside
**The property taxes are exuberant ("Onondaga County residents pay some of the highest taxes in the nation" by value of house)

**There was a recent article in the paper concerning home birthing and although it can be done, there are challenges...midwives have to be signed on by a doctor and doctors don't want to do this due to liabilities (something like that). There are midwives that do homebirths that work out of Ithaca that make the drive to Syracuse.

**And although the neighbourhood is described as above and true in my eyes, one has to walk the streets to appreciate it. At first site, one might see old houses that require lots of work (some homes are purposefully left undone, in hopes of lower tax assessment; some are student rentals). A closer look reveals more homes that are cared for and loved and looked after.

~from a local

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 5 Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM

Check out Westcott area, for sure! Lots of nice houses for sale, and great place for "crunchy" living in Syracuse for all the reasons above! Tipperary Hill is wonderful, too, and you could have us for neighbors

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#5 of 5 Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM

There is the Montessori School in Syracuse and the New School in Dewitt.

Green Lakes State Park is an awesome park to snowshoe, swim, visit. Its Beautiful. The Erie Canal is all great for cross country skiing or to walk in the summer.

There are alot of nice outdoor places to visit.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page