Can anyone tell me about the Zion, IL area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! Dh is offered a job in Zion, IL! Haven't found anything by doing a search. Can anyone tell me about this area or any nearby towns? Anyone live around here? I'm interested in finding out about:

Organic Stores/Food/Co-ops
Homeschooling/Unschooling groups
Homebirth Midwives
No Vax friendly doctors
Babywearing group
Attachment Parenting group
Playgroups
Any Continuum Concept-ish mamas?
Raw Milk Source
What is fun to do with kids around the area?

Thanks!
jessica

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You mean Zion (the Chicago suburb) or Mt. Zion (small town near Decatur)?
#3 of 9 Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Zion, the chicago suburb

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#4 of 9 Old 05-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post
Zion, the chicago suburb
its a dump, there is nothing there. gurnee is like 15 min away, thats the best thing.

DS 5-11-06
#5 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 AM
CEG

I live near Zion. I like the area. We moved there about 6 months ago from a busier NW suburb (Schaumburg). It's nice because it is a little slower- you do not have to fight traffic to go to the grocery store, you can jog/walk without people trying to run over you, and our neighborhood has a nice small-town feel. The home prices are much lower here compared with other areas around here. It's close enough to Chicago (an hour-ish, more or less depending on traffic) that if you want to fight traffic you can. I commute to the city regularly and it isn't too bad.

Gurnee is close by as another poster said, so you can find a mall and any chain restaurants/stores that you are looking for there. There is also a Six Flags and a new indoor water park. We did some house hunting in Gurnee and I didn't care for it much- there are a lot of run-down, scary neighborhoods and the town as a whole strikes me as dirty. Depends on where you look, I am sure. Some other nearby communities to Zion that I am familiar with are Kenosha, WI and Antioch, IL. There are lots of very small towns throughout the area.
#6 of 9 Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM

I've got alot of info for you about the topics you are interested in. I don't have time to post them this minute, but will try to get to it soon. Feel free to PM me if I forget. Another alternative would be to join the Lake County Attachment Parenting group and ask questions there. It's a very helpful, supportive group. You can find their info at the AP website.

In a nutshell, they (Lake County) have all you are looking for except the CC group (or at least I'm not aware of it).
#7 of 9 Old 05-09-2008, 04:09 PM

My friend lives in Zion.I only know 2 things though.There are lots of homeschoolers and they(not the homeschoolers) are getting ready to tear down the power plant.

#8 of 9 Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Gurnee is a busier burb, Antioch is bit smaller and not surrounded by malls.. It's a pretty area surrounded by lakes.

Others to look into: Lake Villa, Lindenhurst, Fox Lake
#9 of 9 Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM

we live nearby Zion (in Libertyville - we really like it there - good schools, close to outdoorsy things, etc.).

There is a decent # of an AP community. Do a search on meetup for the holistic parenting group that is "based" out of Zion - and then of course the Lake county AP group. There is also a homebirth meetup group based in near by Grayslake. There is also a lake county baby wearers group - and a homeschooling group. There is a LOT of overlap in membership between these groups - but at least they all exist!

i think the most well-known no-vax/AP friendly dr. in the area is Dr. Elvove in Libertyville. He has a website if you want to do a search...

best of luck with your decision!

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page