Mothering Forum banner

Overloaded Sensory Mamas w/ sensory kids tribe.

3K views 148 replies 17 participants last post by  Kitsune6 
#1 ·
I know that here at mdc there are many mama's that have sensory/special needs themselves or/and children with sensory issues too.

This thread is for all of those mamas

I usually have infinite patience for my ds but lately he has been driving me insane. PMS sensory mama + sensory kid = MAMA HAVING AN OUT OF BODY!!!

Let's let the anger/pain/stress all out!

#3 ·
My ds is 7. He is a wonderfull fun loving sweet boy but...... He has a mean streak like no tomorow. He is very over wellmed by loud noise. Kids in the lunch room, clapping,wistleing(sp?). socks and taggs drive him nuts. He has never had the proper diagnosis. but there is no doudt in my mind that he is way sensitive.

He also had a speed processing disorder as well as a long term working memory disorder.

#4 ·
Man, last night was ROUGH for me!

As I said in the SN forum, I had to lay w/ the baby and nurse him with a pillow over my head to drown out the noise.

:

DS and I are both aspies, dd has SPD (looking into AS for her, too), and it appears that dh and the baby are NT. Odd, because I thought dh was the aspie till I figured out that it was me. HAHAHA!

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
DS and I are both aspies, dd has SPD (looking into AS for her, too), and it appears that dh and the baby are NT. Odd, because I thought dh was the aspie till I figured out that it was me. HAHAHA!

Today is starting out much better but DS (SPD suspected PDD-nos) has been soooo grumpy the last few days. The meltdowns we are sharing are out of control. He melts down, I freak out. I just wish AF would show up so I'd mellow out a bit. I have been trying to make myself breathe deeply and that's helping.

#6 ·
My big kids are off at school and won't be home for a little over an hour. We shall see how that plays out when they get here.

My day has gone ok. I couldn't sleep last night, but I finally managed to get to bed at 1 and fall asleep soon after.

Otherwise, it's been a good day. No excessive noises or other sensory overloads.

#7 ·
i've been on sensory overload for days, it feels like. too much noise, too much to do, too much in a hurry... too much kids! my 3yo is down for a nap, but the 3 older kids are due home in about 20 min, and i am dreading them coming home. i feel guilty that i feel that way, but i can't help it. i know what will happen, they'll come in, demanding snacks, fight over the tv, fight over who sits where on the couch, fight over who uses the bathroom first... i've got to get dinner started, there's friends visiting tonite, my house is a mess... and i just don't care! i seriously need a vacation, and this weekend i'm supposed to be going to a rodeo with a gf of mine, without kids, but now another friend is throwing a jealous fit... sorry, i'm sure a lot of this doesn't really belong here, but it's all part of what's making me freak out right now. i keep trying to take deep breaths, but it's not really helping. anybody got any other ideas?

#8 ·
OMG, Damona. Like you need one more childish act to add to the chaos already!
The friend needs to grow up.

So the kids got home, we left for chiro immediately, then had to go pick up milk (we buy it raw), stopped off to have dinner, a friend's sis dropped off friend and he ate cookies w/ us (dinner would have taken too long because we were done when he showed up), then we all piled into the car and drove over to the friend's house to get his gym bag, and then dh finally got to our house and dropped off the baby and me. Thank God.

I sent the big ones to the gym w/ dh and friend. Oh, friend is being carted around by us because he's SN, too. HAHAHA!!! It's everywhere!!!
: (He has epilepsy.)

anyway, the baby and I are home, he is chilling out in his saucer, I'm sitting here online and listening to Blue October. Nice. Soothing. Kinda wishing my cousin would get online because we like to talk smack to each other about our fave basketball teams (I'm a die-hard Spurs fan, he's a die-hard Pistons fan) and generally just waste time.

I'm enjoying the lower energy level of my environment. Now once I can relax a little I'll be able to feel centered enough to pick up this apartment.

The futon's been open for days so that dh and I could watch a movie while the baby played on it w/ us by his side and he could roll all over it safely without launching himself face first into the coffee table. That would be a bad thing.

Then the dishes need to be done and laundry needs to be done. DD has entirely too many clothes. It's freakishly scary.

#10 ·
:

Someone poke me in the eye with a sharp stick, please!!!
:

Kids are whining and it is setting me off BADLY. They are also refusing to KEEP their butts in bed.

I feel sick to my stomach and dd is crying and upset over not feeling loved enough, thinking the boys are getting more love and then older ds is refusing to stay in bed, griping about a stupid light.

I don't understand WHY she feels like she doesn't get enough love. I really don't. All she could come up with was that dh pulled ds1 around by his feet for a minute and then he didn't pull her by her feet. Ok, bummer, that sucks. Dh should have pulled her around, too, but he did it to get ds out of our bedroom because we were running late.

but that was it. I don't know what to do about it. Any advice??

#11 ·
I wish I had some advice. DD (NT) is constantly telling me that I don't give her enough attention and that I love DS more. DS is more work and I try to have some special time with her but she's all about everything must be exactly equal. It's really hard. I know that sometimes I lean on her a lot more than I should.

Today has been good BUT DH leaves tomorrow morning for a 5 day trip to St. Louis. great. sigh.

#13 ·
I'm here!

Hey...the house is shaking. It's either a train going by or an earthquake.
brb

ETA: Guess it was a train. The train tracks aren't even close to here though. Weird.

I'm so sensitive that I feel the slightest shaking. And the running fridge seems so freaking loud to me. And while I'm complaining, why can't keyboards have soft, rubbery keys so that they don't make so much noise when I type?

#17 ·
Glad to know I'm not alone in dealing w/ the unfair-love perception. Poor kids.
I told her we'd work on it and that she should remind us when she doesn't feel like she's getting enough love. Hopefully, it will work.

I'm also one that doesn't sleep well. I hate it. My mind just goes and goes and goes. Actually, since starting Lexapro it's better. Not 100%, but definitely better!

#18 ·
so... we ended up having a really good weekend at the rodeo. i got to calm down and breathe for a little while. i'm normally not real good with crowds and lots of guys around me, but i did ok. i was actually pretty proud of myself!

and then i came home. crumbs, popcorn, papers, toys, shoes... everything you could think of was strewn across the floor. 2 kids fighting, one whining, and my DH says "so, what are you making for dinner?" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i could feel the muscles in my shoulders tightening instantly. sheesh.

today was good though, up til just before bedtime. we did errands (dh drove, i hate driving), kids got home, it wasn't too bad... then after dinner we announced that it was time to clean up and the whining started. i was going nuts. my oldest is one of those people who takes everything very personally and if i asked him to pick up a piece of paper he'd whine that ds2 and ds3 needed to pick up something to, to be fair! i love him very very much, but there are days i just can't deal with him!

#22 ·
ds1, 9.5yo, adhd and has some sensory issues (easily overstimulated). likes to be by himself, at least, when he's on his meds. if he's not... wow. you ever see over the hedge? you know who hammy the squirrel is? yeah.

ds2, 7 (in a few weeks), pdd-nos and adhd. needs a lot of deep pressure/heavy work type activity. has very little understanding of personal space. shuts down if overwhelmed.

ds3, 5, pdd-nos (tested 1 point above the cutoff for what the dr referred to as "true" autism). has a LOT of sensory needs. will run in circles, crash to the floor, run into walls, etc. for a long time he would only eat crunchy textured and strong or spicy flavoured foods. he's gotten better, but he's still picky.

ds4, 3, NT as far as we know, but had a little occupational and speech therapy to bring him up to speed with his age. seems to seek a lot of deep pressure stuff, but no signs of autism. he's also fond of screaming and making strange noises, loudly.

so.... this is what we do. the boys do a lot of wrestling, with each other and their dad. there's a lot of pillow fights, crash landings on the couch, etc. we walk most places in town, the kids carry their backpacks to carry stuff home from the store for me (that counts as heavy work!) we also do some supplements and the gfcf diet (which helped #3 and #4 but didn't do much for the older ones, so they eat gfcf at home but get school lunch). we saw a dan! dr for #1 and #3 and they kind of slid 2 and 4 in while we were there, but i just can't afford to do everything that they have recommended, no matter how helpful it may be.

i haven't found any magic tricks yet, nothing that makes all the behaviors stop and my children little angels. it just ain't out there. i can only wish it was! right this second, my oldest is having a whiny fit about having to watch his lil brother in the backyard cuz i can't leave the other 2 in here by themselves and they don't want to go out. so he is having a cow, right there outside the back door. argh.

eta: i really am long-winded, aren't i? :))

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie'sMama View Post
What are you all doing for your sensory kiddos issues?

Biomedical? Diets? Supplements? NeuroSensory Center? DAN! ? Lots of TLC?

- very tired mom of DS#1 with SPD (8)
DS #2 seems NT (Almost 6)
DS #3 speech delay and who knows what else (22 months)
We tried the gf/cf diet with no success. DS takes a multi vit and an omega 3 vit. He has OT for his sensory issues. He's a seeker

We do a lot of heavy work, swinging and jumping. We also do a lot of texture stuff like beans and sand.

And of course lots of TLC

#26 ·
subbing for now. i've got pms right now too. and dp's being bitchy/anxious besides. and my kid is "spirited" to the maxxx.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.