Valdosta mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all,
I'm completely new here but I'm really excited to finally be on this forum. My name is Nikki, I'm from Dallas, TX (currently my husband is stationed here in the middle of no where, but we move back in July!). I have an 11 week old little boy.
I'm dying to meet other moms in the area with the same ideals on child rearing. If you are familiar with south Georgia, then you know that Valdosta is REALLY small and its hard to find a mom who has a natural approach to her parenting style here (atleast it has been for me!).

Anyone close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HEY! You wont find many moms down our way, unfortunatley. I actually gave up on this tribe as everyone seems so far away from me. I live in Blackshear, near Waycross. Its about an hour from Dosta'. My brother lives in Valdosta and works at DFCS there! I never ever have been to valdosta, even though its close as my ds doesnt do too good in the car. If you ever come down my way I would love to meet you, just pm me!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitions View Post
HEY! You wont find many moms down our way, unfortunatley. I actually gave up on this tribe as everyone seems so far away from me.
wow! is it really that bad? that makes me SO sad. i really want to move down that way.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkiwendy View Post
wow! is it really that bad? that makes me SO sad. i really want to move down that way.
It REALLY is.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkiwendy
It is but if you can find at least one person, you are doing good! I actually met a friend by accident who is like us, she lives the next town over, however her son and my son dont get along, so we dont meet up much.\

ACtually I love my town. Its very small townish, but at the same time the people are very nice and very understanding of things like non vax, etc. I also have a GREAT ped 9 miles away that is anti vax! Rare around here! If you are thinking of moving south ga, our town is great. It is near savannah(about an hour away) and an hour from st. simons(think beaches), an hour from valdosta(think malls) and an hour from jackonsville, fl(zoos, museums, all sorts of stuff to do there) but small townish enough. The schools are really good around here, there is a park in our town, a health food store, no book store but there is a locally owned one in the mall, 9 miles away. There are a lot of farmers markets around here, and a raw milk dairy just 25 miles away.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is but if you can find at least one person, you are doing good! I actually met a friend by accident who is like us, she lives the next town over, however her son and my son dont get along, so we dont meet up much.\

ACtually I love my town. Its very small townish, but at the same time the people are very nice and very understanding of things like non vax, etc. I also have a GREAT ped 9 miles away that is anti vax! Rare around here! If you are thinking of moving south ga, our town is great. It is near savannah(about an hour away) and an hour from st. simons(think beaches), an hour from valdosta(think malls) and an hour from jackonsville, fl(zoos, museums, all sorts of stuff to do there) but small townish enough. The schools are really good around here, there is a park in our town, a health food store, no book store but there is a locally owned one in the mall, 9 miles away. There are a lot of farmers markets around here, and a raw milk dairy just 25 miles away.
That sounds dreamy, where abouts are you?
Who is your pedi, btw?
Old 05-10-2008, 01:03 AM

Hey -

My folks and extended family are in Nashville, GA (up near Adel) - so I visit Valdosta often. IO also have a friend who is from Blackshear - small world. But I live in Atlanta. Just saying Hi - always good to know there are some crunchy folks down way south!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Wow who is your friend--i probably know who it is! LOL I know everyone around here

Quote:
. That sounds dreamy, where abouts are you?
Who is your pedi, btw?
I live in Blackshear, my ped is Dr. Kelly Solms, at pineview pediatrics in Waycross. Shes great, she out of Augusta, moved here about 3 years ago. I LOVE HER!

Old 05-10-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Okay, whew! I knew I didn't want to go to Valdosta, but I was really disheartened that there might not be anywhere else around there where we might be happy. My family is from St. Simons, Sea Islnad, Jeckyll Island - Valdosta was actually just a military move that stuck. So, I started looking at land on Realtor.com around there. Are there any areas I should avoid. We're planning on unschooling, but I'd hate to not have a backup plan, as my dd is SN and will need speech therapy for some time, likely provided through the school system (I guess).

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Are there any areas I should avoid. We're planning on unschooling, but I'd hate to not have a backup plan, as my dd is SN and will need speech therapy for some time, likely provided through the school system (I guess).

for the areas around here, here is the lowdown:
waycross--AVOID, bad school systems, town is becoming not so popular as well, good to shop there, but thats about it.
patterson--very very small town, not much there but GREAT school system, in fact i think it ranks 5th in the best public schools in ga
hoboken--also very very small but excellent schools there too
nahunta--small town, very nice, but quite ruralish--plus side only 25 miles from st. simons and great school system
douglas--bad area alltogether--avoid
alma--drug central--avoid
homerville--nice area, schools okay-ish
baxley--very nice town, small but great school area
offerman--too small
jesup--NICE town, midsize, great schools, great people, closer to savannah,hinesville
hinesville--too military, schools are not so great there..only about 20 miles from savannah though--great therapies

in my town there is a horse therapy ranch that just opened that is great too

Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 PM

forgot to add that if you do move to our area, we have a GREAT homeschool group(non christiany_

Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 PM

::

Okay, I'm packing! I just need a couple of friends - after all, I've got MDC !

We are SO desperate to be in a small town - I mean DESPERATE!!!!! We are so OVER Memphis. We've fought the good fight, and we're exhausted - can't take it anymore. And now, with a lo, we gotta go. I just love GA, and thought it would be a great fit since we have family there and it wouldn't be as much of a shock in that way.

Anyhow. THANK YOU SO MUCH! YOU MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Also there are more areas i forgot to uncover(just thought about those as i was cooking dinner)

folkston--about 40 miles from jacksonville, close to the beach, small town, not sure about the schools though
of course you know about st.simons/brunswick..st. simons is lovely but oh so expensive, if you can afford it--go for it!
savannah is nice in some areas..my sister lives in pooler its nice but she says everything is so expensive there.

everything is pretty cheap around here.i have a 3 bedroom/den/living room, 3 bath house with a chain link fence/carport, brick house i might add, paid $76,000 for it, and thats in town!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:01 PM

#$%@$#%@#!! i keep forgetting to add stuff! here is the link for the homeschool group around here.it just started not too long ago by my friend, its a nice group of people. i am not planning on homeschooling but i do attend this group from time to time just so ds can have someone to play with, plus they dont mind me being there!
www.homeschoolersofsouthgeorgia.com have a look!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Mama View Post
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Originally Posted by kalkiwendy<br>
wow! is it really that bad? that makes me SO sad. i really want to move down that way.</td>
</tr></table></div>
It is but if you can find at least one person, you are doing good! I actually met a friend by accident who is like us, she lives the next town over, however her son and my son dont get along, so we dont meet up much.\<br><br>
What pediatrician do you use? Thanks!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
She might not reply, this thread is more than six years old.

User Tag List