OB and Pediatrician recommendation in Lawrence? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since we are moving the week after I have my daughter, I will need to follow up with a new OB as soon as we move to check my incision (having a CS). We will also need to follow up with a new Ped. Any recommendations? The insurance we will have is BCBS PPO. Thats all the details I know so far on it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 AM

OB--Joy Murphy. She's not actually an OB, she is a family practice doc who does her own sections, so she could certainly take care of you. She is probably the nicest, most laid back doc around.

For Peds--I'd go with Rundquist. Probably anyone but Loveland in that pediatric group is fine. Loveland is getting too old; I think he needs to retire. I like Rundquist and Van Garsse because when I worked pediatrics, I could call them at any time and they were always kind, reasonable, and interested in my opinion and concerns. The male docs in that group could be aholes at 3am. Rundquist is, well, not more accepting of alternative decisions, but she is more RESPECTFUL of them. She vehemently disagreed with my decision regarding very delayed vaccinations, but she was respected that it was ultimately my decision as the parent. She also gets down on the floor with the kids. I like that.
#3 of 4 Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM

I am wondering the same. To be quite honest I refer to the Pediatrician's office I go to (Dr. Kelly who's in w/ Loveland and Co.) as Disney Land. I go in, it's nuts, I call the line's busy. I like Dr. Kelly, he's relatively supportive of my position as a skeptical of everything mother, however the office is stressful to say the least.
#4 of 4 Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 PM

You have to know how to work the system! LOL!

I hardly EVER go in for an appointment anymore--the walk in clinic is faster and really meets my needs. I mean, I'm not taking them in unless there is something major going on, so by the time I'm seeking care, I want to get meds, I want a chest xray, etc. The walk in clinic is, ironically enough, less stressful for me than the regular hours.

Also, if I think it is something like strep, I'll just ask if I can have a nurse visit, or it I can go straight to the lab for a culture. I never ask for an office visit for things like that.

Sometimes I get really frustrated with that office, but when I have needed to be seen immediately, they did right by us. My youngest, who has asthma, developed pneumonia for the first time ever last year. I got home in the morning from work and found her coughing--dh was like, "Yeah, she's been coughing straight for two hours, a nebulizer treatment didn't even touch it." I was like, HOLY CRAP, she looked a little dusky to me, but I think I was being paranoid...

anyhow, long story short, I basically drove her right to the office, told the people at the front desk that I was scared she wasn't moving enough air and I wanted to be seen RIGHT THEN or I was going straight to the ER, and they took us right back. The nurse brought an oximeter, a doc who wasn't even the doc we were to see stopped in just to make sure she was okay, and then after they determined that she didn't need immediate oxygen or anything, they put us in a room and we had to wait all of something like 8-10 minutes to be seen. They left the oximeter with me so that I could monitor her respiratory status.

Another time I dropped her (long story, she was 3, I was wearing flipflops and running, she was being "combative") and cracked her head open. Poor kid...anyhow, they were right on that, too, though we ended up in the ER for staples.

Finally, my oldest daughter currently identifies as a lesbian, and Rundquist's main concern is how supportive we are of her--as in, are we supportive enough. She is so kind and gentle with her, and that is the main reason we went there--she has a reputation for being great with preteen and teen girls. I really appreciate that.

So, yes, their office can be a zoo parade. That's a lot of practitioners in a little amount of space--five docs and at least two PAs/NPs. That building really isn't big enough for them; I wonder if there are any plans for them to move to a newer part of the hospital? Also, while other offices can and will limit their number of medicaide pts or pts in general, the ped office NEVER closes. Meaning they never stop taking new pts. They also never limit medicaide pts. That's one reason why they are so phenomenally busy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page