Shady Grove Midwives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone! My friend is about 5 weeks pregnant with her 3rd. She is thinking about making the switch from an OB at Holy Cross (where she had her first two) to the midwives at Shady Grove. Do any of you have experience with the hospital or midwives? She had a c/s with her first and a successful VBAC with her second.

Do they take VBACs? She also was curious if the L&D floor had been updated so that they were all private rooms yet. She is not really interested in a semi-private room....any info you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 AM

I don't have any experience with any of the midwives/OBs, but if I had a major car accident in the parking lot of Shady Grove I would demand to be taken to another hospital.

I hope your friend finds the info she needs
#3 of 13 Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

LOL. That certainly gave me a good chuckle. My friend is very mainstream. She had her first two at Holy Cross with never a bad word about the baby factory Is the issue you have with the hospital that they are too medical or that they are inept? She doesn't have an issue with an over medical facility....

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#4 of 13 Old 05-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Oh were to start.... The staff is completely inept. Over-medical isn't even part of it, for me. It's more along the lines of an experience I had with them and knowing their staff is horrible. I would rather be at Holy Cross if I had to go to a hospital
#5 of 13 Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I was hoping to find a midwife for her, but I think that Shady Grove and Holy Cross are her only two options with Kaiser...

#6 of 13 Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 PM

Sticking up for the staff at Shady Grove here - I had a home birth, but at 35 weeks I wound up in the hospital for a day due to tachycardia, and I have to say that I thought the doctors and nurses were WONDERFUL on the L&D floor. I had 2 nurses during my stay and both were great - the one who discharged me even said as she was filling out the discharge papers, "and we won't see you back here because you are going to have a wonderful home birth!"

I haven't heard much about the Midwifery Care Associates, but I know they do VBACs at the hospital.

Also, to answer your question about rooms - all labor rooms are private and have been completely renovated. The post partum rooms are brand new and all private as well. The post partum rooms are in a new wing of the hospital and while the rooms themselves aren't anything special, the floor itself looks like the lobby of a mid-range hotel. I'm pretty sure that there is also a fold out bed for husbands in the room.
#7 of 13 Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 AM

MCA is a great midwifery practice for those who still want to be in the hospital. If your friend really wants a hospital birth, then I would definitely send her there. Shady Grove is just fine, all l&d rooms are private...and I'm quite sure that all postpartum rooms are private now as well. The midwives will stay with her pretty much the entire time and help her get the birth she wants. The midwives "help" the nurses in assisting a midwife-style birth, if that makes any sense! In other words, even if the nurse is not familiar with midwifery protocols (one example: intermittant monitoring without making the mother get out of the tub) then the midwife will teach and help the nurse to do it. Since the midwives are with the patient throughout the labor, they ensure that the birthplan is followed as much as possible. It's really a good choice!

Oh, and yes, they do VBAC.
#8 of 13 Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 PM

I personally think the former Maternity Center had so much turnover that it is difficult to say how our collective previous experiences would rate against the midwives now. When I was at the Maternity Center it was a mixed bag and most of it awful. It was pretty much like a large Ob practice. As for Shady Grove they were awful. This was before the private rooms, but sharing the room was the least of my worries. They used latex catheters when I am allergic to latex. The one nurse told dragged me into the bathroom when I couldn't walk after my c-section. She was a bully and completely inattentive. I had to fight for everything; even the right to not take Percoset. It was a very traumatic experience. My final nurse was nicer, but I was glad the Dr (yes Dr, I gave up on the midwives) left me go home a day early. I went from wanting a homebirth to ending up with a necessary c-section and realizing that it isn't midwife=good vs doctor=bad. I would not recommend either the hospital or the midwives to anyone. Just my honest opinion. I realize other people had ok outcomes. I just don't know anyone who had a bad outcome who was happy with the way the Maternity Center midwives handled it.
#9 of 13 Old 05-10-2008, 06:30 PM

No hospital is great. No staff is either.

I have had two friends that birthed with midwives there and know of three other women who did with OBs. The nurses and lactation support really depends on who is working with you at the time. Most people I know had a good experience there for it being a hospital. I only heard of one very bad experience and that was more the OBs fault. VBACs are encouraged to my knowledge.

One of my friends with a MW was going for a VBAC, got to 10 cm beautifully without meds or anything and after 2 hours of pushing, the baby just wasn't coming down or out, so they did a C-birth on her. They were great with her and baby during recovery. She nursed very shortly afterwards and to knowledge her baby wasn't given any supplementation and they roomed in the whole time.
#10 of 13 Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 AM

Would she be willing to go to Loudon County, VA? I went to the Loudon Community Midwives down there. They work in a birthing center situated right next to the Loudon Community hospital. I had a great experience there, though I had wanted a homebirth, but because of a medical risk, the homebirth midwife wouldn't take me. That was as close to a hospital as you could get me when I was pregnant , and it worked out great. I've heard nothing but bad things about Shady Grove from various women who have had babies there.
(Forgot to say that I live in MoCo, MD)
Oh, and the labor room in Loudon is private, and the D&R rooms are also private. Hubby and baby can also room in with you! (This wasn't allowed at Shady Grove when I had DS in Dec 2005). At Loudon, the staff worked well with all my "hands off" requests in my birth plan.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#11 of 13 Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
(Forgot to say that I live in MoCo, MD)
Oh, and the labor room in Loudon is private, and the D&R rooms are also private. Hubby and baby can also room in with you! (This wasn't allowed at Shady Grove when I had DS in Dec 2005). At Loudon, the staff worked well with all my "hands off" requests in my birth plan.
I'm almost positive that Shady Grove encourages rooming-in now. When I went on the hospital tour (in case I needed an emergency transfer there) there were no babies in the nursery and the tour guide said they encourage the baby to room in with moms - again this is now that all the post partum rooms are private.

Your friend can also birth with a midwife at Washington Hospital Center if that is a more convenient hospital for her. The DC Birth Center midwives have priveleges there, as well as another independent midwife whose name I forget right now.
#12 of 13 Old 05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
#13 of 13 Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies. I'll see if she has other options. If I'm not mistaken Kaiser is pretty strict on who you can and can't use. If any of the other places are options for her I'll pass along the info.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page