Is this Ob/Gyn one to recommend for a natural birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read a few threads mentioning Dr. Jacqueline Turner in Missouri and she was also on the list of Obs recommended by my family physician. I'm wondering if anyone has had her and could give a more in-depth idea of her practice? From what I gather, she performs natural childbirths in the hospital?

What about just pre-natal care? Ultrasounds? This is a 1st time, low risk pregnancy.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#2 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 01:10 AM

where are you?
#3 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Well, I've only worked with Dr. Turner 3 times as a doula, but I really liked her. She seemed very laid back for an OB. She will do births at MoBap but really prefers Barnes, so thats something to keep in mind. She will do water births at Barnes which is why so many people hire her. You'll hear some mixed opinions about her, but IMO there is no perfect OB here. I would interview as many of the NCB friendly OBs as you can and pick the one that you like the most. Theres an old thread here that has lots of different opinions about local OBs.

You will see her nurse practitioner for a lot of your prenatal care, and like any OB, office visits will be short and cursory. Thats just how it is.

I'm not sure what you are asking about US. Do you want to avoid it? Do you want one in the office?
#4 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizafava View Post
Well, I've only worked with Dr. Turner 3 times as a doula, but I really liked her. She seemed very laid back for an OB. She will do births at MoBap but really prefers Barnes, so thats something to keep in mind. She will do water births at Barnes which is why so many people hire her. You'll hear some mixed opinions about her, but IMO there is no perfect OB here. I would interview as many of the NCB friendly OBs as you can and pick the one that you like the most. Theres an old thread here that has lots of different opinions about local OBs.

You will see her nurse practitioner for a lot of your prenatal care, and like any OB, office visits will be short and cursory. Thats just how it is.

I'm not sure what you are asking about US. Do you want to avoid it? Do you want one in the office?

I am very interested in a natural waterbirth, so it's great to hear that she does those. Do you mean Barnes-Jewish in St. Peters?

I was just hoping to get more details, which you have provided, thanks! She was highly recommended by my current physician, but he didn't go into detail.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#5 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, it might help if I give some background:

I'm planning for a natural waterbirth at home, but I am not crunchy enough to go without an OB for prenatal visits. (For example I want an ultrasound and sex verification). I will also need an OB for pregnancy verification for my employment.

I do think she would be a choice b/c she will do ncb at a hospital, which sounds like a great backup. So, I guess my most specific question is how easily can you visit her for prenatal care, but not necessarily for finishing the job so to say?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#6 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 AM

There is a B-J in St Peters, yes, but also one (the Main One?) at I-64 and Kingshighway. I don't know for sure, but I think Turner works from the latter B-J Anyone know for sure?
#7 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
There is a B-J in St Peters, yes, but also one (the Main One?) at I-64 and Kingshighway. I don't know for sure, but I think Turner works from the latter B-J Anyone know for sure?
Yes, Dr. Turner is at Barnes in STL city, on Kingshighway and 40. I've been her patient for 7 years, she delivered both my girls. I love her and her nurse practitioner! (She has a partner now who I don't know as well.) I wanted to have DD2 naturally and she was very supportive. She worked well with my doula (a PP!). I labored at home and went to Barnes for the birth. She was very supportive of that plan. She has a very calming presence which helps me since I tend to be high-anxiety! I feel like she is very pro-woman, very strong, very honest. One of the main things I like about her and her entire staff, is I feel like she evaluates me wholistically(is that a word?), she doesn't just examine my reproductive system, you know? For example, I went in yesterday for my annual exam and it felt more like a chat with an old friend. (I saw her NP, Kelly.) She asked how I'm feeling emotionally. How I feel about my new(ish) baby. How I'm getting along with my husband, etc. I have a history of PPD so it's important to me to have a dr. who looks beyond the medical stuff. For more info, please feel free to PM me!

Christina, proud mama of 2 strong, brilliant, creative, kind, beautiful girls from A to Z. Wife of 11 years to best friend and awesome papa, Brian. :::
#8 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Sorry, I am sooo city oriented Yeah, Turner just works at Barnes at Kingshighway and I-64. I don't think water births happen at the one in St. Peters, but I could be wrong about that. I'm not sure how the next I-64 shut down will affect where she goes, but I know thats a big reason why she was discouraging patients from going to MoBap. If you have a MW I would talk to them about hospital preferences in case of a transfer.
#9 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 01:14 PM

The hwy shut-down is one reason she encourages Barnes (her office is in the hospital so she can get to births there so quickly which was important in my case! A. was born an hour or so after I arrived!) However, it is also Dr. T.'s opinion that natural births are more likely at Barnes as opposed to MoBap which is the other reason she recommended Barnes for me.

Christina, proud mama of 2 strong, brilliant, creative, kind, beautiful girls from A to Z. Wife of 11 years to best friend and awesome papa, Brian. :::
#10 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're planning a homebirth, have you considered working w/ some of the docs that approve of homebirth and are happy to be "official" backup"?? That is what I would do.
#11 of 15 Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post
If you're planning a homebirth, have you considered working w/ some of the docs that approve of homebirth and are happy to be "official" backup"?? That is what I would do.
You don't by chance have a list of such docs? Maybe PM if they can't be posted?

I'm in the O'Fallon/St. Charles area so Barnes STL is almost an hour away without traffic.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#12 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post
Honestly, I don't think there are any OBs like this in StL these days. There used to be one, but he's not practicing now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP: The above is something to keep in mind with your plan. You would likely need to keep your plan quiet. Most (all?) OBs around here will not take you on as a patient if they suspect you are planning a homebirth.

Trying to get my bearings...
#13 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Ellie'sMom;11423968]Honestly, I don't think there are any OBs like this in StL these days. There used to be one, but he's not practicing now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
QUOTE]

There are a few that we've just found out about.......new developments!!
#14 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 PM

Maybe it is fairest to the OB if you keep home birth plans quiet. They will take a huge amount of crap from colleagues (and quite possibly be driven from practice) if it gets out that they support home birth, or even accept patients who are planning to homebirth. If you don't tell them, then it doesn't place them in a sticky spot.
#15 of 15 Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
Maybe it is fairest to the OB if you keep home birth plans quiet. They will take a huge amount of crap from colleagues (and quite possibly be driven from practice) if it gets out that they support home birth, or even accept patients who are planning to homebirth. If you don't tell them, then it doesn't place them in a sticky spot.

Oh, I didn't think I would be advertising it at all. I just wanted to have routine pre-natal care not only to make sure everything is okay, but also so that I have an attending OB if a hospital birth is needed. I would hate to walk into a hospital around here without an OB to back up our requests (e.g. no pain meds, rooming in, refusal of vax).

I didn't think a doctor would react too well if I said, "Well, doc, we want a homebirth, but we need you just in case!"

Mama to expecting Babe 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page