Shady Grove Fertility Center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping that my next pregnancy sticks, but if it doesn't I'm seriously considering going to a fertility center. Does anyone here have any experiences with Shady Grove?

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM

are you speaking of the one located at AAMC? I saw a fertility doctor there that was beyond the best doc I've ever met. He had ideas and advice that no other doctor had ever mentioned and his exam found stuff that no other doctor had found in over a decade! After seeing him it only took me 6 months to conceive. I had been trying for over 2 years prior to him and was about to do another surgery (I had endometriosis, well, still do, but it's way better now)
#3 of 11 Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 PM

DH and I went to the Columbia office of Shady Grove Fertility and had a wonderful experience. Dr. Osheroff listened to our concerns, gave us our options and really let DH and I make our own treatment decisions. I'm used to doctors dictating your treatment plan, so it was quite refreshing. My OB told me I had 0% chance of being able to get pregnant, so we decided to start fairly agressively with IVF. It worked on the first try - I'm now 31 weeks pregnant with twins! Good luck!
#4 of 11 Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

MommyHawk - Thank you for your input. I'm not sure if it is or not. I just know it's called Shady Grove Fertility Center. You're experience sounds really awesome! Would you mind letting me know (either here or via PM) your doctor's name?

I don't know if we are going to go that route yet. I hope we don't have to but there's a possibility we will be going.

We conceive really fast... It's like my husband simply sneezes in my direction and all the sudden I'm pregnant. The problem is our embryos have trouble sticking around past 6 or 7 weeks. I've have had two chemical pregnancies (this would be our first kid). We're trying one more time and hope the 3rd pregnancy will finally stick (my awesome doctor found borderline low progesterone and has me on supplements).

If we don't get pregnant by the end of this summer or if I have another mc during this next pregnancy, it's been recommended we visit Shady Grove just to make sure we get basic things sorted out (dh is 40 & I am 34) before it gets too late to do anything.

LoveMyCorgis- Thank you for your input, too, and super congrats on the twins! I think it's wonderful your doctor has given you the freedom to choose what to do. He sounds like my sort of doctor.

Part of my fear of going to a fertility center was worrying about being hassled into an expensive unnecessary treatment. Last year, I had a bad experience with a ob/gyn who refused to believe me when I told her I had a mc. She hassled and pressured me to get a hysteroscopy without running any tests during proper times in my cycle (ex- she had me get a hystersonagram right before my AF - which is apparently a big no no, plus she never ran hormone tests during specific times in my cycle).

She also completely ignored me when I said my periods had all be normal for years. She kept calling the MC an "irregular period." When I told her we had a positive on the HPT right before I lost it, she said that didn't mean anything bc they didn't get a positive in the office (I had come in over a week after the mc) I know hysteroscopies are supposed to be minor surgeries, but it seriously felt like she was pressuring me into to get one for the $$$ as she never paid attention to anything on my chart and sort of acted condescending to me. If I can't trust someone's motives, I don't want them cutting into my body.

I have a new OB/GYN this year (in Columbia). She is VERY awesome.

#5 of 11 Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Lil_Mamma View Post
I have a new OB/GYN this year (in Columbia). She is VERY awesome.
I'm sorry to hear about your sticky problems. : And the #$%!#$% doctor. May I ask who your new OB/GYN is? [pm if you feel more comfy]

My DH and i went to Shady Grove about... 5 years ago I guess it was. We went to an office in Bethesda i think it was. I didn't feel pressured, but she didn't really pay attention to my charts, and Rx'ed clomid before getting the results of DH's SA back. 2 problems with that: 1) my understanding of clomid is that it helps with ovulation, and I don't have any problems ovulating [I DO have luteal phase problems which I have STILL not gotten a doctor to address, other than putting me on the pill :] and 2) turns out my DH has some serious sperm issues, and the urologist he saw said he had a ridiculously low chance of impregnating me even with the clomid. As luck would have it, we got pregnant that month without any intervention, but in all, I wasn't impressed with my SG experience. Wasn't bad, but I didn't really feel like it was helpful in our situation. YMMV.

good luck!
#6 of 11 Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM

I'm sorry. I looked for the doc's name, but I can't find or or seem to remember it. He was good looking and young, if that helps
#7 of 11 Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 PM

I used shady grove 8 years ago as a surrogate. I was monitored in Annapolis by dr Mottla and went out to Rockville for my transfer. I thought they were awesome. As a midwife I have a lot of clients that start there and come to me after they are pregnant and I have never seen anyone dissatisfied. I think you would like them.
#8 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 PM

I went to Shady Grove Rockville and Annapolis (for two different pregnancies). I had Dr. Chang in Rockville - he was professional and knew his stuff, but was not particularly warm or friendly. My most recent experience at the Annapolis office was much better. I had Dr. McKeeby and really, really liked him. Very friendly, easy to talk to, and certainly did a good job (I'm pregnant!).

#9 of 11 Old 06-12-2008, 09:53 PM

I also went to Shady Grove and saw Dr. Osheroff. I went to their facilities in both Rockville and Annapolis. The staff treated me and my DH very, very well in both places. Dr. Osheroff planned for us to do IUI with ICSE but we had a "spontaneous" conception the cycle before I was supposed to start the drugs and get the show on the road. I was so happy with the way we were treated there that it made me hate my slip-shod OB office even more and I soon left them for BirthCare.

If you decide to pursue it, I hope you also have good experiences with your care there. :

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#10 of 11 Old 06-21-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I may not need to go at this point, but I'm not going to say for sure until February.

Ovulated very early (a couple days after AF) and got pregnant again kind of by mistake (didn't listen to my body...thought I couldn't O that early).

This time it looks like the prometrium I'm on may be helping. My HCG levels are actually going up (I was 300+ on Monday, and 1000+ on Wednesday)! This is the first time, I've had two BFPs on HPTs, too.

I don't know what's ahead...but if I can celebrate Independence Day while still pregnant I can say it's the longest pregnancy I've had. From there, I hope to make it to the end of my 1st trimester (August). Then I want to make it to Thanksgiving (end of the 2nd trimester). Then I want to celebrate my birthday pregnant (1-3 weeks before it's due).

I'm trying to be careful and not put all my hope in it yet, but I have a good feeling...

Maybe it's because I got my first BFP for this pregnancy on Friday the 13th (we got married on April Fool's so it's appropriate). Maybe it's because it's the 3rd pregnancy (we believe 3 is a lucky number). For some reason I think this one could be it.

#11 of 11 Old 06-21-2008, 04:54 PM

I saw this thread pop up on the main FYT page and peeked in b/c I know Shady Grove's reputation, and I live about 2000 miles away....

This blogger (http://julia.typepad.com/), who happens to live near me (in Minnesota) basically refused to go anywhere but Shady Grove for her IVF cycles. And as you'll see from her blog, she had great success.

FWIW, I had years of infertility myself...and found that there's a world of difference between an OB/GYN and an RE (reproductive endocrinologist). IMO most OBs are WAY out of their depth when it comes to infertility.

I hope you won't need an RE after all. But if you need help getting pregnant, an RE is definitely the better choice.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page