Office in West Caldwell, NJ
Morristown Memorial Hospital
http://www.avalonmidwives.com/

-or-

The Center for Women's Health at Avon
Office in Avon By The Sea, NJ
Monmouth Medical Center
http://www.midwivesrus.org/

I'm due for my annual and hoping to get to know a new group before we TTC again. I've been researching since I had my DS in Feb '07 with the Hackettstown Midwives (who can't do VBAC's). I've narrowed it down from a larger list based on insurance coverage and their ability to do 1st time VBAC's. They're both about an hour away from me, so location isn't really a factor (I'm in Somerset, NJ). I've read great things about both groups (on this forum and on HMN), but just can't seem to make the final decision.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can only share info re: Avalon. I started going to them in March when I found out I was preggo w/ #2. So far they have been GREAT. I am also hoping for a VBAC and they have been very patient w/ answering ALL my questions. I just set up a tour of Morristown Hosp at end of month. So we will see how that goes. I will meet w/ Avalon's back-up doc. when I am closer to due date...just in case I need another C/S.
Other little things...I NEVER wait more than 5 minutes in the waiting room; they do everything in the office (bloodwork, u/s); midwives really spend alot of time w/ me at each visit-as I always remember more questions I have!

Don't know if this helps at all....GOOD LUCK w/ your decision.
Brenda
#3 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 04:59 PM

There is a woman on the ICAN list who is planning to vbac with Avalon midwives any day now. I've also chatted with a woman on another site happily planning a vbac with them in a couple months. Are you still in Somerset? Have you thought about checking out Pam and Louise at Midwifery Care in Pennington? They are also an hour away and their vbac rate is insanely high. I think all of their vbacs were successful last year and they had a LOT of vbacs.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#4 of 10 Old 06-14-2008, 04:30 PM

I just delivered my second DS with Avalon, and although I didn't get my VBAC, I had a very positive experience. As a previous poster said, you never wait for more than a couple of minutes to see someone, and they spend time with you making sure all your questions are answered. All four midwives stopped in at some point to see me while I was in the hospital, which was very nice. And Morristown is like a luxury hotel -- I truly enjoyed my experience there (as much as one can enjoy being in hospital) and once I made my intentions known (rooming in, no bottle, exclusive BF) the staff was extremely supportive. (Example: every time the nurse came in, DS would be nursing, and she'd say, "Is he nursing AGAIN?" -- I braced myself for something negative, and she just said, "That's great, your milk will come in quickly!" -- and it did!)

FWIW, the reason my VBAC (probably) failed was because DS had a double nuchal cord, which likely contributed to him not descending. I never got past 4 cm, even after about 12 hours of real (and unmedicated!) labor with strong contractions. Joann (the younger one) was very calm and patient through all of it, and sat with me during the c/s and afterward, while I was getting sewn up and my husband was with the baby.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#5 of 10 Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Have you only had the one previous c-section?

I visited the Avalon midwives once, before I was pregnant, and asked about having a vba2c and was told no, and that "nobody will touch you." Lonnie Morris in Fort Lee said she'd do a vba2c with me, but is honestly not very supportive about it to my surprise and is wavering. (I attempted my last vbac with her and ended up with another c-section.)

Linda Perry in Caldwell I think, is a homebirth midwife and also does vbacs in the hospital with an attending physician who is very supportive of Linda's agency and care.

I don't know anything about Avon.
#6 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of your responses...and stories!

I am still in Somerset, and would have loved to have gone to Pam and Louise (based on what I've read about them on MDC), but they're not in my insurance plan. I also considered Linda Perry - same deal. We thought long and hard about going out-of-network, but decided not to (at least for now), since there seem to be in-network options. If we end up not liking those options though, I will definitely reconsider.

I've only had one c-section, which ruled out another group...the Midwives of Denville, who don't do 1st time VBAC's.

It's great to hear that Morristown was so wonderful...I've heard mixed reviews in the past, but that was before the renovation. It's also nice to know that Avalon will do bloodwork in their office...that's getting harder and harder to find these days.

I ended up making an appointment with Avalon. I'll post again after my appointment and let you all know how it went.

Thanks again!!
#7 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 PM

Jenny, please share your experience with Avalon after your visit because I'm in Middlesex Cty. and also considering them! Thanks!
#8 of 10 Old 07-02-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I just had my first appointment with the Avalon Midwives last night...

I saw JoAnn Yates, and she really was just wonderful. My appointment was about an hour long and we talked for the first 30 minutes about my history, previous pregnancy, birth, etc. She was very warm and personable...I felt like I'd known her for years.

From what I could tell, she was the only one working that night, other than the receptionist (who was also very nice). There was another woman leaving while I was filling out my paperwork, but the appointments were spread out enough that there was absolutely no feeling of being rushed. Like some of the other posters have shared, there was also no wait. It was so personal, it was *almost* like having a home visit.

JoAnn said they had 6 successful VBAC's in June, so that was very comforting to hear. She said I'm a great candidate for one myself, so I'll be trying my hardest when the time comes.

Thanks again to everyone for their responses. I'm so happy with my decision to see them!
#9 of 10 Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Jenny, thanks for posting about your first visit with Avalon! Sounds like you had a very positive experience with them. I am trying to concieve and hope to use either Avalon or midwives of Hunterdon who I have also heard very good things about. I understand that Avalon has two offices - one in Morristown and one in West Caldwell. Which office did you see them at? If I use them, I am hoping to see them at their Morristown office.
#10 of 10 Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I saw them in their Morristown office last night, which is so much more convenient for me. I work and live very close to 287, so I just took that all the way up to Morristown...they're not far from the exit.

It's definitely not their main office though...when I tried to pay my co-pay with my FSA card, the receptionist told me that they don't have a credit card machine at that office, so she had to jot down the info and run it through in West Caldwell today. I should have asked about bloodwork and u/s...I'm not sure if they do that in both offices, or just West Caldwell?

Definitely let me know which group you end up seeing. Best of luck TTC!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page