Mothering Forum banner

i'm in rutland, vt... and i need buddies!!

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  j.lucymuses 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!
I was posting here about a year ago and then my life got craaaazy. We have moved from Castleton to Rutland and even though I grew up in the area I had been away for a long time and don't know anyone here (except you, Sue
).

I am currently reading a book called The MomsTown's Stay-At-Home-Mom's Guide to Getting it All. It's about finding and giving yourself time as a mom and helping you get on the road to living your passions. I am a wannabe writer and have several other projects in the works that may or may not become a career path for me.

The reason I mention this is, I would love to have other like-minded moms to chat with about these kind of things - maybe even work through the book together if someone was interested. I'm not usually a "self-help" kinda gal but I have been home with the kids for 4 years now and I'm feeling the itch of needing more. Making friends at the same time would be an added bonus!

If anyone is in Rutland (or near enough to warrant the drive), please let me know. I have a 5 yr old DD and 20 mth DS.

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.lucymuses View Post
Hi everyone!
I was posting here about a year ago and then my life got craaaazy. We have moved from Castleton to Rutland and even though I grew up in the area I had been away for a long time and don't know anyone here (except you, Sue
).

I am currently reading a book called The MomsTown's Stay-At-Home-Mom's Guide to Getting it All. It's about finding and giving yourself time as a mom and helping you get on the road to living your passions. I am a wannabe writer and have several other projects in the works that may or may not become a career path for me.

The reason I mention this is, I would love to have other like-minded moms to chat with about these kind of things - maybe even work through the book together if someone was interested. I'm not usually a "self-help" kinda gal but I have been home with the kids for 4 years now and I'm feeling the itch of needing more. Making friends at the same time would be an added bonus!

If anyone is in Rutland (or near enough to warrant the drive), please let me know. I have a 5 yr old DD and 20 mth DS.
Cool book suggestion! I am nowhere near Rutland (in Southern NH) but if I get my hands on this book, I will post to this thread again.

#3 ·
I'm near Rutland! About 25 minutes away, actually. One of my closest friends lives there, so I find myself there once in awhile.

I have a 10 yo and an almost 3 yo and one due in January.

-And I love books....I'm a librarian. I don't have tons of consistant time during the day (between my 2 jobs and the 10 yo's activities) but I can mostly make my own hours, so it's easy for me to do fun things any time, for the most part.

#4 ·
Molly (box of rain), I remember chatting with you when I was posting last year. We almost moved to your town (won't say name in case you don't want me to) because I love it - had a offer on a house behind the police station - but it fell through and we decided being in rutland would be better anyway. My husband can now walk to work and I can walk with my babes to one of 4 coffee shops - a small joy in my life
(Anyone ever want to meet at Back Home Again for a iced mate? It's coolest place in town!) Growing up here in the 80s and then living in happenin' Burlington for 10 years kind of biased my opinion against rutland, but I'm getting used to living here... slowly.

I live near a big park (the blue one) so if you're ever in town and the kids need some play time, let me know.

#7 ·
Hi Krismarie! The last time I saw you was at a Poultney festival of some kind and your boys were asleep on a blanket by your stall. I thought, wow, my kids would NEVER lay down in the middle of all this, let alone sleep. I was impressed

Yup, if you're in town let me know.

#8 ·
I am about 20-25 minutes from Rutland, Vermont also. My husband and I also love the Back Home Again Cafe. We are semi-regulars. The one guy knows what we order. I am new here but my husband grew up here. I have found it hard to make friends. Most of my friends are an hour + away.

#9 ·
I live near Rutland and have a 13 yr old, 10 yr old and 3 yr old. I am a WOHM so not much free time for coffee, but if folks meet up at the Back Home and it happens to be a Wed (my day off!) or a weekend, I'll be there! A bunch of us used to head there once a month after La Leche League meetings on the 1st Wed. NOt sure if that is still happening as I haven't been to a LLL meeting for a while.

Glad you're reaching out!

#10 ·
Hi Sri Radha and Lauren!

I had a feeling Back Home would be others' favorite. I'll be home and able to get downtown most afternoons this summer. Mornings are when I work on my own projects. I pick my kids up (from day camp and playschool) around noon then I'm mommy again, but lunch out is always a hit with my two. So, if anyone would like to meet up, let me know.

Sri Radha, I find it hard to make friends also. I'm fine once I've gotten to know someone but making that first connection is always dfficult... I'm an introvert and find it easier to stay home than making small talk with strangers. But I have only recently learned what a difference to life friends make... which is why I'm "reaching out," as Lauren said.

Lauren, when you said about LLL at Back Home, it reminds me of when I was b-fing my youngest. We were living in the deep south and I had made friends with 2 other northern gals who happened to have babies within weeks of me. We'd all meet at the bagel or coffee shop and it never failed that all 3 babies needed feeding at the same time. Those poor southern belles! They didn't know where to look - anywhere but at those crazy yankee hippees

#12 ·
Joanna,

I met you on a blind date to with Kris. I enjoyed chatting with you and would love to get together again. I love the Back Home Again Cafe. My last day of teaching is Friday and I would love to get together. I have a new baby girl too. She is a little over 5 months old. I am interested in the book you are reading too.

Be well

#13 ·
Hi melove (I think I can remember your real life name but I won't mention it
)

Has it really been that long since I saw you last - was it in Manchester? You were still preggo. Congrats on the new babe! Are you still living in the same place? I drive by all the time on the way to my parents.

I'd love to get together. I'm out of town as of tomorrow afternoon. But after Monday 23 I should be able to schedule something.

#14 ·
We aren't living in the same place. We are actually building a home nearby. I am currently staying with my inlaws until the house is done in the fall.

I am also going away but will be back the first week in July. We should plan something soon.

Take care,

Karyn

#15 ·
Karyn - I did remember your name correctly!

Isn't living with parents fun
We did that until we bought this house. We thought about building but I didn't have the patience to wait! We live in an old Victorian; I love the way they actually took pride in little architectural details back then.

I'll look forward to hearing from you in July.

#17 ·
Hey...

Summer's almost over... did we even have a summer? I think it should be renamed rain-mer.

Anyway, I'm still here and just wanted to say hi to anyone's who's around.

There's a great new coffee shop in rutland - terra cafe (or cafe terra) where you can paint pottery with the kids (or not). Good coffee and free wi-fi.

Give me a yell...

#18 ·
We just moved to the Rutland area from Pennsylvania. We're just a bit south, about 10 minutes, right off of 7.

We have 5 kids total (blended family) ages 13, 10, 9, 6 and almost 3. Our schooling preferences are varied, but usually the older two are in public school and the youngers have been home/unschooled. The four oldest will be attending public school this year only because mama needs to regroup and rejuvinate.

It'd be fun to meet up sometime. DH works late a lot, so I don't have many kid-free moments but it might work if we meet at a park or something...

If it ever stops raining, that is. lol

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.lucymuses View Post
Hey...

Summer's almost over... did we even have a summer? I think it should be renamed rain-mer.

Anyway, I'm still here and just wanted to say hi to anyone's who's around.

There's a great new coffee shop in rutland - terra cafe (or cafe terra) where you can paint pottery with the kids (or not). Good coffee and free wi-fi.

Give me a yell...

hey--i just noticed that cafe and wondered what it's about.
we'd love to check it out sometime. summer is just our crazy time...so busy busy. maybe the next rainy day we could meet up (like tomorrow-right?)
what days are you free?? mon, wed, fridays work best for us.

#20 ·
Karen - welcome!

Hi Kris Marie!

Right now I'm kid-free every morning but once school starts I'll be working part time too and who knows what kind of schedule we'll have. Right now the only afternoon I'm able to get out with the kids is Thursday. But after 3pm any day we're available for park "dates."

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.