What do hospitals do to newborns in NYstate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi NY mamas,

I am new to the state and due to give birth in August. Wondering if anyone can tell me what NY state makes mandatory in terms of newborn testing/vacs for hospital births. Also, can I simply decline on paper or am I in for a huge fight? Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am in central NY if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The hospital in our town (we're from Northern NY) is infamous for calling CPS and having custody temporarily removed if you refuse the eye goop, the Vit K, or the foot prick (I forget their proper names, sorry). They have no problem with declining the Hep B shot. The midwife who did my pre-natal care has been trying to help her clients refuse these for years and never had luck but it may just be a local thing. At any rate, it convinced me to homebirth and I'm sure glad I did!

Have a wonderful birth and welcome to NYS!!

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#3 of 17 Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM

If you are within an hour or so of Ithaca, there are homebirth midwives available.
#4 of 17 Old 06-10-2008, 11:45 AM

As far as I know you can't get around eye goop and vit k injection, although you can ask for them to be delayed. This is one of the reasons I chose to homebirth actually.

You CAN refuse Hep B, I think you can refuse the bath, sending baby to nursery, etc. but you need to be vigilant. Don't ever let the baby out of you or your partner's sight or preferably hands. And ask what they are doing and feel free to refuse (other than probly vit K and eye goop, which can result in CPS hotlining).
#5 of 17 Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Can't do a homebirth.

I'll be delivering at Arnot Ogden in Elmira.

So what's with the CPS thing? Is it really that bad? Will they bring in CPS if the baby is in your/your partner's hands the entire time? I had heard this but didn't know if it was just a myth. Sounds scary.

Thanks for the replies.
#6 of 17 Old 06-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Vit k, eye ointment, and the blood draw are all state law as I understand it. You can immediatly remove the eye ointment (bring a washcloth and have your partner or doula be prepared). You can hold the baby for an hour (you have the right to delay one hour for those treatments) and then you can hold the baby or even nurse the baby while they do the treatments.

Congrats!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#7 of 17 Old 06-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan'sMom View Post
As far as I know you can't get around eye goop and vit k injection, although you can ask for them to be delayed. This is one of the reasons I chose to homebirth actually.

You CAN refuse Hep B, I think you can refuse the bath, sending baby to nursery, etc. but you need to be vigilant. Don't ever let the baby out of you or your partner's sight or preferably hands. And ask what they are doing and feel free to refuse (other than probly vit K and eye goop, which can result in CPS hotlining).
This was my experience.
#8 of 17 Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM

At the time I knew nothing, except that a nurse pretty much convinced us (behind closed doors) that if we say yes to the HebB shot there in the hospital, that Dd would end up getting 4 in the first year instead of 3. So, we said no to the HebB shot there in the hospital. I didn't have any problems at all.

Kristin, Lactivist and co-sleeping SAHM. My daughter is 6 yrs old, and my son is 22 mos old. Would love baby #3 shy.gif

selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif lactivist.gif dust.gif

#9 of 17 Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 AM

sort of off topic but whats with the eye goop? in UK we dont do anything to babies in hospital except Vit K.
i had DS1 nad DD2 have the injections DS1 as that was the way it was dont in 02 and DD2 as both DD1 and DS2 had nasty reactions to the drops so i asked for a Vit K shot and the Pedi agreed.
here we get the Heel Prick test at 6-7 days, at home, by a MW not at hospital and all vax are done at the baby clinic.

Kiz
#10 of 17 Old 06-11-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

OneMagicMummy - I'm a british expat and let's just say - pregnancy and childbirth is handled VERY differently here. There's really no comparison. Midwifery care is the exception not the norm. There's no home visits etc. And that's just the beginning.
#11 of 17 Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM

Wow! I am shocked that they call CPS in NY for that. In NJ, I just signed an informed refusal and other than a disapproving scowl from the nurse that was it. We did do the heel stick, but not the eye drops or the Vitamin K.

Remind me never to birth there....

Kelly, blessed to be with Stephen, and mama to three little ladies with huge hearts:, lotsa energy:, and curious minds.
#12 of 17 Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

If you have a boy, they are very likely to offer circumcision. Even if you have told them no in advance. In Philadelphia, PA, we were offered circumcision 6 times by some overzealous medical professionals. You will want to make a bassinet sign that says "no circumcision".

With the Hep B shot, you just say no, we will be doing that at the doctor's office. They have no system to verify compliance, and no way to force it.
#13 of 17 Old 06-15-2008, 11:27 PM

Unfortunately, Vit K and eye goop fall under law without exemption in NYS - unlike Hep B vax, which you can legally refuse. Choose a hospital that offers rooming in, and keep your baby with you or a trusted family member at all times.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#14 of 17 Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 PM

I'm surprised by the responses! I had no problem refusing Hep B, Vit K, and eye ointment when my first was born in the hospital. They did say that they were required to call CPS, but I never heard anything about it after that.

You may want to give your hospital a call and ask what their policy is.
#15 of 17 Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM

When we lived there we were able to delay the vit k and eye goo without any problems, and declined the hepB without any issues. As far as I know they are mandated to contact CPS if you decline the vit k and eye goo. I delivered at a hospital way upstate that was more like a birth center than a hospital because they were quite progressive in terms of natural birth. They also discouraged circumcision and made all parents who were considering it watch a detailed video explaining the procedure (not pretty). We did our DS's first bath and assisted with newborn procedures and such. As others have said you can remove the eye goo, the nurses wiped it off for us after putting it in. The hospitals in NY really cover the entire spectrum.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#16 of 17 Old 06-19-2008, 06:29 PM

I birthed at Arnot Ogden in 2003, and there were no exemptions for the eye goo, vit K or the heel stick test. : But we did try to wipe off the eye goo. And we didn't do any shots or circ, no problem.

punk rock mom to Milo, my unschooling anarchist snuggle buddy :
#17 of 17 Old 06-19-2008, 07:12 PM

I had no problems associated with refusing the Heb B vax. The first time was at Lourdes in Binghamton. They didn't even offer it. They suggest starting at 2 months. The second time I delivered at Wilson in Johnson City and they asked me if I wanted it at discharge, or if I wanted to delay. I said I would delay and they gave me no problems. Both hospitals are in the southern tier area./Broome County.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page