Home birth in Houston with medicaid? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 06-19-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only birthing center that isn't an hour away is North Houston and I didnt like the vibe when I went there today. It was really crowded and I didnt have a great experience with the office staff. I am just wondering if Medicaid pays for home births? If not, do you have any estimates on the labor part, maybe I could just pay for it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 PM

I don't think there are any homebirth midwives currently accepting medicaid. and north houston is the only birth center that does.

Last I checked, homebirth midwives were running around $2500-$6000+ depending on who it is.

-Angela
#3 of 26 Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM

Are you talking about just paying for the midwife to be there in labor and no prenatal?
#4 of 26 Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain View Post
Are you talking about just paying for the midwife to be there in labor and no prenatal?
Wondering that as well. I don't know of any midwives who will do that.

-Angela
#5 of 26 Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

no i meant pay cash for her to come to my home and deliver my baby and let medicaid pay for my prenatal care.

Rite Of Passage and North Houston Medical Center both accept medicaid, but ROP is 45 minutes away and I'm worried about driving there in labor. Any advice on that?
#6 of 26 Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepremiers View Post
no i meant pay cash for her to come to my home and deliver my baby and let medicaid pay for my prenatal care.

Rite Of Passage and North Houston Medical Center both accept medicaid, but ROP is 45 minutes away and I'm worried about driving there in labor. Any advice on that?
Again, I don't know of any homebirth midwives who will attend a delivery for someone they have not done prenatal care for.

Personally, going anywhere in labor sounds terrible to me.

Try calling some midwives and see if anyone can work out a payment plan with you.

-Angela
#7 of 26 Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 PM

I think you need to start calling midwives and see what they are willing to do.
#8 of 26 Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM

I am not sure of any midwives that will just see you for the birth, but then again I have never asked with that as a need. I would call around there are a lot of good midwives in the area that will work with women to give them a safe birth.
#9 of 26 Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am not sure of any midwives that will just see you for the birth, but then again I have never asked with that as a need. I would call around there are a lot of good midwives in the area that will work with women to give them a safe birth.

I don't want to only be seen for the birth. I only want to pay cash for the birth.

I want a midwife who accepts medicaid. I will pay for the home birth myself and use my medicaid for the prenatal care.
#10 of 26 Old 06-21-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepremiers View Post
I don't want to only be seen for the birth. I only want to pay cash for the birth.

I want a midwife who accepts medicaid. I will pay for the home birth myself and use my medicaid for the prenatal care.
No homebirth midwives in town currently accept medicaid. That's the problem. Not for birth, not for prenatal.

And if you did prenatal elsewhere, I don't know of any homebirth midwife in town who would *see* you for only the birth. Make sense?

-Angela
#11 of 26 Old 06-22-2008, 12:59 AM

Actually midwives who take late transfers MAY very well take you just for the birth if you have prenatal care (with records) from elsewhere. (PM if you want a name of a midwife I know who has done this.)
#12 of 26 Old 06-22-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Actually midwives who take late transfers MAY very well take you just for the birth if you have prenatal care (with records) from elsewhere. (PM if you want a name of a midwife I know who has done this.)
BUT, I don't know of any that charge less for this... I know of several who will do this, but to my knowledge they still charge their full fee (or very close to it)

-Angela
#13 of 26 Old 06-22-2008, 01:09 AM

True enough. Some will give a more substantial discount, but it's still going to be expensive.
#14 of 26 Old 06-22-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
True enough. Some will give a more substantial discount, but it's still going to be expensive.
So, if you're still going to pay the full pricetag, might as well get the superior care to go along with it

-Angela
#15 of 26 Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 AM

Of course. But if you need testing that can be more easily gotten "paid for" than there are more complicated options.
#16 of 26 Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
No homebirth midwives in town currently accept medicaid. That's the problem. Not for birth, not for prenatal.

And if you did prenatal elsewhere, I don't know of any homebirth midwife in town who would *see* you for only the birth. Make sense?

-Angela

Ok, i understand what you are saying!
#17 of 26 Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM

BUT, do call around. Many midwives in town will be willing to work something out to find a way for you to have a homebirth. Whether it's a payment plan, a reduced fee or even barter or trade- they want all women to have the birth they want.

good luck!

-Angela
#18 of 26 Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM

I live near Austin,Tx about 3 hours from houston. I too am on Medicaid & looked into Midwives here as well, but not many take the regular medicaid. I found one who would take the insurance ,but I'd have to pay cash for the rest& I can't afford 2,500 to 5,000. Medicaide only pays for bloodwork, shots if needed(Rh shots,glucose tests etc) but the rest is not covered by medicaide in the homebirthing. So I am seeing a doctor & delivering at a hospital ,for this is baby#4, plus i am having a tubal after delivery (health reasons)so I know midwives do not work in that area. Look around I am sure someone could help.Ask exacally what medicaid will cover for them since houston might differ from Austin.
#19 of 26 Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 AM

have you checked out reunion birth center in kingwood? I am giving birth there and I LOVE my midwives! check out reunionmidwives.com
They really are wonderful and give great prenatal care. It's about an hour drive for me, but totally worth it IMO.
#20 of 26 Old 06-25-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmommy83 View Post
have you checked out reunion birth center in kingwood? I am giving birth there and I LOVE my midwives! check out reunionmidwives.com
They really are wonderful and give great prenatal care. It's about an hour drive for me, but totally worth it IMO.
The website seems to not work.

I'd love to hear more... somehow never heard of them.

-Angela
#21 of 26 Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 AM

I think ReunionMidwives is relatively new. I think they have only been around for a year or so. According to their website, they opened in September 07. I live in the area and haven't heard anything about them good or bad. When they were just starting out, I saw a lot of posts on one of the local websites and they sound like a typical birth center. The website has almost no information so it is hard to say one way or the other.

Try http://www.reunionmidwives.com/index.html
#22 of 26 Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 AM

their web server seems to be down...the website you just listed doesn't look anything like the one I've seen, maybe it was their trial run?

They have been open since October of last year...really the best thing to do is call and talk to Janet or Polly..they really are wonderful and will answer any questions you might have. I've been going there for a few months now and I cannot wait to give birth! They are becoming more and more busy now, I think they are up to 3-4 births a month...they are new so still picking up business, but both have been in the industry for a long time and are very experienced. Try their site again tomorrow, i can't get it to come up either!
#23 of 26 Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 AM

oh BTW...this is a video of one of their first births in the center...if you want to see:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5pBnS9SG8IU
#24 of 26 Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 AM

I know of at least one Houston-area midwife who will submit homebirth claims to Medicaid from personal experience. How much you might get covered is another story entirely. I'm seeing her with my current pregnancy, so this is CURRENT information. PM me and I'll tell you more about it.
#25 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jackie Griggs in Pasadena does HB and used to take medicaid-- maybe she still does???

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#26 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessab23 View Post
Jackie Griggs in Pasadena does HB and used to take medicaid-- maybe she still does???

She's not taking medicaid right now.

-Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page