Need info about Somerset Medical Center births - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am currently 27 weeks pregnant and live in North Plainfield, NJ, and I am looking to switch practices. I currently go to Summit Medical Group in Warren, NJ. I found out the other day that the chances of my OB actually delivering me are next to none, plus Overlook Hospital doesn't seem particularly natural birth friendly.

My hubby works in Somerset Medical Center and says the L&D there is very nice and they have labor tubs too. I have called Brunswick Hill OB GYN because I know they have a couple midwives on staff there that deliver at Somerset. They have to review my records before they take me in though. This is my fourth PG and I am very low risk, no complications. I want to have a complete natural birth this time around in a hospital setting. I have heard about Hunterdon Medical Center as well. I want to find out about Somerset first though since hubby already works there...anyone dealt with that hospital or Brunswick Hills OB.midwive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Brunswick Hill no longer offers midwife assisted deliveries. 2 of their midwives left and the 3rd isn't allow to attend deliveries anymore. The doctors only deliver at St Peter's unless you have a scheduled c-section; then you can opt for Somerset.

I wouldn't bother with the other midwife at Somerset either.

I'm not sure if you can use the laboring tubs at Somerset unless you have someone (medical) there with you at all time. I'm not positive about that - I used the BH midwives for my first birth (bullied into a c-section) and I thought I remembered someone about needing a midwife with you the whole time.

Somerset also doesn't have LC on staff anymore.

Personally, I'd go with Hunterdon. They have great midwives on staff. You can definitely use their laboring tub. They have birthing balls, encourage eating/drinking in labor, natural birth, birth plans, doulas etc.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I am so concerned that I am not going to have the experience I want. I have definitly heard about Hunterdon. Do the midwives work through the hospital there or do I have to call a practice?
I definitly want to use the laboring tub, and I heard they are very natral birth -friendly. Did you birth there?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:10 PM

The midwives are affiliated with All Women's Health Care (which also has a group of doctors). Their office is right at the hospital but they are their own practice.

Their information is:
1100 Wescott Drive
Doctor's Office Building
Flemington, NJ 08822

Office: 908-788-6469
Fax: 908-788-6483

I didn't birth at Hunteron but I took Hypnobirthing there. I got great info from the nurse who taught the course. The nurses LOVE natural births there. They actually get disappointed when women come in wanting an epidural right away. I was so impressed with their set up though - they have HUGE rooms, beautiful laboring tub, birthing balls, refrigerators in the room (to encourage eating and drinking during labor), etc. They are hypnosis-friend, doula-friendly and birth plan-friendly. In fact, they gave me a sample birth plan during the hypnobirthing class which I thought was so cool. The nurse also had a list of area doulas.

The c-section rate at Hunterdon is on the higher side (about 35%) but that's due to a couple doctors; not the midwives.

Just throwing this out there but if you really want all natural, have you considered a homebirth? The midwives that I used for my second birth do mostly homebirths but I had to be in the hospital since I was a vbac.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif

Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again...I gave them a call and am waiting to hear back from them. Its so reassuring to hear that they discourage epidurals, etc...and HUnterdon Medical Center is still pretty close to me. I can't do a homebirth since I rent the apt. we live in and its not very conducive for that. I would if I could....I heard about the hypnosis and am curious to hear more about it. I want to schedule a tour.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:55 PM

When I took the hypnosis class, the instructor actually said it wasn't that long that you couldn't even get an epidural at Hunterdon.

The director of childbirth education is super nice. Even though i didn't birth there, I took the Hypnobirthing, Happiest Baby on the Block and even got my car seat checked there. She would always call me back when I left a message. If you go on their website, there is a number you can call to arrange for a tour. In fact, I think they will set you up with someone to answer all of your questions about birthing there. They also have information about their HypnoBirthing course. The instructor is really awesome! She will definitely give you the inside scoop on having a great, drug free birth there.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Success!! I have an appt. scheduled for Monday with one of the midwives, Barbara. The receptionist told me she is great. I am sooo excited now and it feels so right inside if you know what I mean...This is my fourth child and I always had easy, fast vaginal births, but I always messed up and got that dang epidural!! I actually chose to be induced with my last and nearly died after birth from a hemorrage (dreaded pitocin), I learned my lesson from that and am ready to do things the right way. Thanks for the information!!....I would have been all over the place had you not pointed me in the right direction. I am already emailing back and forth with one of the consultants about the Hypnobabies class.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:33 PM

Cool! Let me know how it goes! They like to do the hypnobirthing class close to your due date. I think I started it around 31 weeks. The Bridgewater/Hillsborough LLL group has women that have delivered at both places if you want to get anyone else's input/opinion.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for my naivity ...are they a group on here? I would definitly like to talk to a couple of them.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM

La Leche League is a live group to support breastfeeding. The evening group usually meets at the Bridgewater library. The daytime group meets in a different place but you can contact the leader for location. Here is their info: http://www.geocities.com/lllhillsbridge/

I think it's a great idea to attend before your baby arrives so you know the leaders ahead of time and know who to contact for support. Also, if you decide to go to Somerset Medical Center, the leaders can help you out since they don't have lactation consultants on staff anymore.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey! I'm in North Plainfield, too! PM me anytime...

Oh--and hi Dana! As usual, a fountain of info! Park?

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I've been in NP for awhile now...and your a Heather too...cool!! Its crazy because I still would have been hopelessly searching the internet had it not been for Dana..I'll definitly PM you

Oh and thanks for the LLL info too....I reached out to them and the lady that responded was very helpful.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
Oh--and hi Dana! As usual, a fountain of info! Park?
hi!!! Just let me know when! Have you been to Kid Street Park in Bridgewater? I know that's good 20 minutes from NP but it's a great park. I'm up for other options too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesMaMa View Post
Oh and thanks for the LLL info too....I reached out to them and the lady that responded was very helpful.
Was it Marcy? She just kills me! She answers emails off a blackberry at the speed of light!!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM

I have not birthed at Somerset, my mom works in the ER there. and I have never heard anything good about their L&D staff. Not from my mom, or people I know how birthed there. ( I live in Pa now, but grew up in NP)
My first 2 births I had at Muhlenburg(now closed) with Dr. Beim and Lowe(Lowe is not doing births any longer) And I can not say enough GOOD things about these guys!! I swear they were midwives in men's bodies. I still miss them to this day. The have a practice on Greenbrook Rd in N.P. I think they may one use St. Peters though.
I also had a friend(who is a doula if you need one,lol) who birthed at Hunterdon Medical Center. She RAVED about them!!! She had an unmedicated birth and had so much support and help.....
Good luck on your search, Pm me if you need!! Amy
Old 06-27-2008, 12:19 AM

hey, i am in berkeley heights... i have not heard anything good about somerset medical center either but have heard good things about hunterdon. i use a practice that includes 2 obs and 2 midwives and birth in morristown.. i can't say enough great things about them. i have had 2 beautiful natural births with them. morristown is also great with birthing tubs and beautiful completely redone rooms... let me know if you are interested..

btw.. i also recommend lll groups before the baby is born. we had a very active group in chatham that has unfortunately been put on hold as the leader has a very sick child. westfield had a group for awhile.. that might be closer than bridgewater. you can check out for local groups online. pm me if you have any questions

peace

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
Old 06-27-2008, 06:14 PM

I delivered there with Dr. Gregory Hirsch. AWESOME doctor, totally followed my lead and let me do whatever I want. For instance after the nurse gave me 1 cervical check I said NO MORE thats it, he was like that's fine. I stayed in the shower (sitting on a chair) till I was in transition, and he was fine with that too. Then I got out, went to the bed, and a few pushes later she was born. He is very low-key, and truly, I told dh I was in love with my OB. lol.

The hospital and the nurses, esp Ann, are awesome.

And don't feel bad about missing out on Brunswick Hills MW. They delivered my first and were scary and mean. It took 2 years and a second delivery with a nice practioner to get over how bad my experience eith the midwives were.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismom View Post
hey, i am in berkeley heights... i have not heard anything good about somerset medical center either but have heard good things about hunterdon. i use a practice that includes 2 obs and 2 midwives and birth in morristown.. i can't say enough great things about them. i have had 2 beautiful natural births with them. morristown is also great with birthing tubs and beautiful completely redone rooms... let me know if you are interested..

btw.. i also recommend lll groups before the baby is born. we had a very active group in chatham that has unfortunately been put on hold as the leader has a very sick child. westfield had a group for awhile.. that might be closer than bridgewater. you can check out for local groups online. pm me if you have any questions

peace

jen
what is the name of the practice you use in morristown?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

At this point, I have pretty much ruled out Somerset Medical and am definitly leaning for Hunterdon. I have asked some women on other forums about the hospital, and they all come back with the same positive responses. Its comforting to know that there are at least a couple hospitals in NJ that are accomadating to natural childbirth (I heard about Morristown too...) since I don't really have the option to homebirth. As for a doula, I have officially enlisted my husband as my doula...lol..no really he is an outstanding solid birth partner...I am really counting on him to keep me in perspective. My hopes are to be as mobile as possible with no pressure whatsoever from hospital staff for pain meds are monitors. Well at this point I am just looking forward to meeting the midwife Monday...her name is Barbara Real.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Hey! I'm in NP too! And have been going to Summit Medical Group myself!! I'm at 26 weeks myself, so I kind of jumped out of my skin when I saw your post!

I'm still weighing my birthing options, and unfortunately, I have trouble trusting any practitioner of medicine, MD or holistic, until they prove themselves to me first. What was it about Overlook that made it seem non-natural-birth friendly? I've been trying to get some real information on it because I was planning to deliver there (and bring an army tank if I need to to keep the unnecessary internevers out, which is why I'm searching for a doula.) I'd love to hear any information you might have on it, and you can PM me if you feel more comfortable that way.

I potentially considered homebirth, but someone would have to take my two idiotic cats (which because one is psychotic, cannot come into contact with the other or she'll kill him) for the duration and a few days if not a week or so after. I have a hard enough time getting someone to stop in to pet sit let alone take either of them (the psycho cat bites and scratches, the good cat pukes everywhere and poops on the floor, now try getting someone to take them for a week!!) PLUS I'd need someone to clean the house and NOT use chemical hoo-ha (no one inside or outside of my family gets that I refuse to use chemical cleaners in the house, and this was way before baby.) PLUS I'd need someone to wait on me hand and foot for a few days, and you'd think that would be my husband, but we'd end up eating taco bell for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which isn't exactly the type of stuff I need while healing and breastfeeding!!!

My family and most of my friends think I'm weird for being natural in most of my endeavors in the first place, let alone natural parenting, so I'll have a hard time getting them on board with what I'm doing without having to fight off snippy comments. Not that I'm expecting to get that kind of understanding in a hospital either, but if I scream at them, I don't have to see them at christmastime either LOL! So yeah, still weighing all of my options LOL!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
Sounds like One to One Female Care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanda View Post
I've been trying to get some real information on it because I was planning to deliver there (and bring an army tank if I need to to keep the unnecessary internevers out, which is why I'm searching for a doula.) I'd love to hear any information you might have on it,
If you click on the NJ link in my siggie, you can see birth stats for all NJ hospitals last year (c-s, vbac, episiotomy, epidural rates, etc).

Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myloveelli View Post
Dr. Beim and Lowe(Lowe is not doing births any longer) And I can not say enough GOOD things about these guys!! I swear they were midwives in men's bodies. I still miss them to this day. The have a practice on Greenbrook Rd in N.P. I think they may one use St. Peters though.
I know they do St. Peter's because I'm high risk and the MFM dept. there referred me to him. He's literally walking distance from me.

Quote:
Hey! I'm in NP too! And have been going to Summit Medical Group myself!! I'm at 26 weeks myself, so I kind of jumped out of my skin when I saw your post!
YAY!!! Where are you?? PM me! I was with Summit's Dr. Levey (and nurse Maria) for a while but he didn't know how to handle my condition. He was the only person to properly DIAGNOSE me, though!!!

Muhlenberg is not completely closed yet but don't even think about giving birth there. And I only know one person that gave birth at Overlook and it ended in litigation for a student using forceps (to mother's complete disapproval) and causing nerve damage to the child's arm/shoulder. Child is now 5-1/2 and after years of therapy, is pretty normal.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 AM

Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but I had two of my three births at Somerset Medical, with the midwives from Brunswick-Hills, and I loved them. I had a great experience with the midwives; I didn't know they weren't attending at Somerset anymore! My last birth there was in 2005. All my births were completely natural, with completely supportive midwives, and with the last one I got to the hospital in time to enjoy the labor jacuzzi! It was wonderful. I don't know anything about Hunterdon. Good luck with your choices!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow....thats so cool!! I'm due'ish around 9/21....this is your first baby?
Well, I was seeing Dr. Heffernan at SMG and alternating with Linda (love her) Dr. Heff is a good doc, but waayy to stoic, bossy, military type for me when it comes to the birthing process. She makes a big deal or orders 100 tests over the smallest things. This is is my fourth, I am low-risk all the way, and my birth plan seemed like it was a nuisance to them... so you can see I was starting to get very frustrated with the group. Great docs... but personally not for delivering my child the way I see fit.

Overlook in 2005 at least...was definitly a " are you ready for your epidural?" type place.....nurse staff was not too friendly, they were low-staffed and careless, no lactation support, and just unsupportive in general. I started hemmoraging post-partum and had to alert THEM that it was happening. They never checked me post-partum!! I nearly went into shock in the post-partum unit and the OB that was attending was more pissed and vocal about it that she was "awakened" by the nurses. What she did to me next to stop the hemmorage I would have to PM you for those gory details....It was all-round bad experience for me there....I delivered at JFK for my first two children and was more impressed with my treatment and staff. If you birth there, you may have to bring the tanks!! have you talked about your birth plan at SMG yet??

(I rent two floors of a house in NP (by Stonybrook), but my landlord is beneath me...so homebirth is not really an option......)

Quote:

I'm still weighing my birthing options, and unfortunately, I have trouble trusting any practitioner of medicine, MD or holistic, until they prove themselves to me first. What was it about Overlook that made it seem non-natural-birth friendly? I've been trying to get some real information on it because I was planning to deliver there (and bring an army tank if I need to to keep the unnecessary internevers out, which is why I'm searching for a doula.) I'd love to hear any information you might have on it, and you can PM me if you feel more comfortable that way.

I potentially considered homebirth, but someone would have to take my two idiotic cats (which because one is psychotic, cannot come into contact with the other or she'll kill him) for the duration and a few days if not a week or so after. I have a hard enough time getting someone to stop in to pet sit let alone take either of them (the psycho cat bites and scratches, the good cat pukes everywhere and poops on the floor, now try getting someone to take them for a week!!) PLUS I'd need someone to clean the house and NOT use chemical hoo-ha (no one inside or outside of my family gets that I refuse to use chemical cleaners in the house, and this was way before baby.) PLUS I'd need someone to wait on me hand and foot for a few days, and you'd think that would be my husband, but we'd end up eating taco bell for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which isn't exactly the type of stuff I need while healing and breastfeeding!!!

My family and most of my friends think I'm weird for being natural in most of my endeavors in the first place, let alone natural parenting, so I'll have a hard time getting them on board with what I'm doing without having to fight off snippy comments. Not that I'm expecting to get that kind of understanding in a hospital either, but if I scream at them, I don't have to see them at christmastime either LOL! So yeah, still weighing all of my options LOL!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for having those stats in your siggie....wow
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 PM

I had been searching for a new OB because the one that I had started giving me really bad vibes, not creepy vibes, but he seemed to not know nearly as much as I think a doctor should and was very dismissive. He was out of Union. After a long conversation with a close friend that had a really traumatic delivery (I can't remember the details, but the end result was that she was stitched up incorrectly and it caused significant problems until she had it corrected by another OB years later), I learned we had the same doctor!! ACK! So I was going to search for a new OB to begin with, and then I got preggers.

I actually did a search of patient review sites of doctors. My doctor got no good kudos, which didn't surprise me. I had seen Dr. Heff in the list and she had good reviews, but there was mention of her being, as you say, stoic and the like, and I needed someone that would listen to me and answer my endless questions (if I actually have to bring a question up to a doctor, I've run out of resources!) So I've been going to another doctor from the group that got good reviews for being compassionate and listening, which thus far she has been. So we shall see how that progresses!

As for hospitals, I have a certain distrust of them all in general, but that's not unusual for me. Doctor, hospital, dentist, contractor, they all have to earn my trust. They don't get any freebies LOL! After my mother died in Union hospital, I have even less trust that things are just going to go fine as long as you go with the flow, as she seemed to think. Her death probably could have been avoided but my mom kept refusing our offers to get her better, more focused care. She had cancer, kept going back to doctors that kept dismissing her complications as nothing serious (until it got worse), and really needed to be in a place that specializes in cancer treatment. But that was her choice. I fully intend to make better choices! My husband had his knee surgery at Overlook, and I certainly got a better vibe there than Union, but for all I know, that could be like getting a better vibe from Lucifer than you do Satan LOL! So I'm trying to get as many personal reviews as possible.

The only other woman I know of that gave birth there had a scheduled C-section, but that was the friend that had to have reconstructive surgery after the fiasco. So thanks for the info!

I'm due on or about October 5th (right during my favorite time of year!!) I still have to put together my birth plan, but I may do what with a doula (working on selecting one of those right now!) I know what I want to have happen, but I need someone to give me the "reality cluebat" so that I'm well prepared. I've read a lot of different resources about birth, but I want someone who's been there and done that who can work with me when it comes to "I see you have this in your plan, but what do you want to have happen should ____ occur?" Otherwise I could end up fighting like a screaming banshee over something that I really need to seriously consider. I can be a stubborn pain in the butt like that
Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
sorry I have been busy and not online in a few days.... the practice is One to One Female Care... The midwives are Tina and Allyson... both excellent!! I really recommend them and can not imagine birthing anywhere or with anyone else (except maybe in my own living room with my dh ). My last baby was born in the caul.... obviously my midwife was very hands-off or this would not have been possible. I had no cervical checks and was allowed to trust my body's wisdom. I never was pressured to have any tests and actually LOVED my prenatal visits because it was soooo nice to see them. I know of many people who have travelled from far away to birth with them at Morristown. Any other questions, please pm... I could go on and on

peace

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)

User Tag List