Newborn Procedures? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do hospitals do to newborns in connecticut? I have heard nice things about Greenwich hospital although it was by mainstream people. I would like to know if their procedures are at all different from New York's.

Shanese mom of 2ds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Are the eye drops and vitamin K injection mandatory or can you opt of them with no problems?

Shanese mom of 2ds
Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 AM

You can refuse the eye drops, the vitamin K, and the Hepatitis B shot, all of which are routinely done while in the hospital after birth. CT has 3 types of exemptions, philisophical, medical, and religous, although you really don't need to say anything other than "no thanks" to any of the procedures. I don't know about NY...I've heard some crazy stories about CPS, etc, so I don't know what the deal is. I'm in MA, and I refused everything with my ds. All I had to say was "no".

-chelsea dust.gif
Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 PM

The best thing to do is call or if you happen to take a tour of the hospital ask your questions then. Hospitals cannot mandate or force against your will to consent to eye drops, vit k, or hep b. Oftentimes, they will "automatically" do the eye drops and vit k without your permission, so if it's important to you, it's best to voice your opinions in advance or have your partner or labor assistant do it for you.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your responses. In New York it is my understanding that it is not permited to refuse the vitamin K shot or the eye drops. I will seriosly consider delivering in Connecticut.

Shanese mom of 2ds
Old 07-18-2008, 03:03 AM

Correct, if you refuse in NY they can call Child Protective Services. And they're about to pass a bill that you can't homeschool unless you have a teaching license. Nevermind the big ad campaign against co-sleeping. I grew up in upstate NY but am REALLY happy to be raising my child in Mass. (though he was actually born in NH because there are no free-standing birth centers in Mass.). Anyway, be sure to write to your reps about this. If enough New Yorkers on the borders start giving their business to hospitals and midwives in other states, perhaps it will start something. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Agreed with MAVeggiemom. My ILs (and obviously husband) are from NY and even though they live in a pretty crunchy area (New Paltz), it's so mainstream in so many ways it hurts. They're more militant about the vax schedule, they're stricter about homeschooling, and their requirements for a teaching license are a little insane-- I've been a licensed (and award-winning) math teacher in MA for seven years, but because my undergraduate degree is in linguistics, not math, my license wouldn't transfer to NY.

BUT.....they are the only state to license non-nurse midwives. Go figure.

User Tag List