Looking for Non-Toxic Furniture - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-01-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know a good place for solid-wood furniture without scary toxins, either finished or unfinished? And not too expensive. We're in Philly, so someplace local is fine, or someplace that will ship to Philly. Specifically, we're looking to buy a dresser for the baby's room. I'm not into any of the dressers that IKEA has right now. We're hoping to find something for under $1000.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM

I don't have any specific stores for you. We try to purchase vintage or antique furniture from craigslist, yard sales, thrift shops. That way you can find solid wood furniture that doesn't have toxins. Any smells from varnish, etc. is long gone. The price is usually right too.
#3 of 3 Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 PM

There are a lot of stores around the Lancaster area...a lot of the Amish and Mennonites do excellent work with wood and some do sell furniture. I can't think of any names offhand at the moment, but if you need more info pm me and I can ask around for you. Also, there is a store called Reed's Country Furniture in and around the Norristown area. It's on 202, not too far from 73 and Germantown Pike. I always drool when I drive by because they have very nice looking stuff. I believe there is still a store in Montgomeryville that sells "naked furniture" -- wood that hasn't been stained or painted. It's on 309, at Five Points, a minute from the Montgomeryville Mall. I hope that was a little helpful.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page