Mothering Forum banner

?'s on schools in Bozeman

387 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gentleearthmama 
#1 ·
I could use some info on schools in Bozeman.

Ds, 7 yo (going into 2 nd grade), is expressing interest in going to school rather than home school. My first choice is still to HS, but I told him I would look into schools in Bozeman. DH is up there now and is accepting the job offer. Yah!! We are planning on moving up there sometime during the first 2 weeks of August. Anyway, ds has severe food allergies which makes any school setting difficult. I especially hesitate to send him to public school. Our experiences so far w/public school has been undesirable, hence the fact I want to HS.

My question: My first choice for him would be Montessori but we really cannot afford the high tution. We are not Christian, so most of the private schools are out of the qestion, and probably too expensive. I've tried looking up each public schol online, but the information I get from each website is very limited. Any ideas/reconmendations for specific schools I might look into? Because of the allergies, I feel more comfortable with a small school population, but I wonder if any of the schools are peanut free or more food allergy accomadating than others.

Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi it's me again! I must say the schools here are AMAZING. Bozeman HS is 10th nationwide which is in itself no small feat.

We just started districting, which means you go to the school near the area you live. Hawthorne school is artsy, known for the arts, etc. So you would have to live in their area to go there. My kids go to Morning star because that is where we live, and is fine. Emily Dickinson is sposed to be strict. Gosh can't remember, but the one near MSU had more diverse though transient population due to grad students.

Anyway, wherever you go you will be okay, our neighbor's kids have severe epi pen allergies and aside from bringing your own lunch, no problem. I feel really really lucky to live here so far, I have helped in the classrooms and the teachers really are great so far. Montana has an excellent school system with a 95% grad rate from hs.

#3 ·
Apparently there is a public montessori school called Cottonwood Montessori, 10 miles south of bozeman. If you live in the district, your children could go there just like any public school. If not, they can still go, you just have to pay out of district fee, which is cheaper than a private school tuition. Its a very small school. As far as I know, most or all the other public schools are set up that you have to go to the one you live closest to.
As far as public schools go, the ones here are all good from what I hear. I had major worries about it at first, but after touring the school in our neighborhood, I realized how much nicer it was than the public school I grew up in. I too, planned on homeschooling, but my child does better in group settings with a teacher besides me.
People here are pretty hip to food allergies. Seems like in general people understand and respect it. At some schools they even have a peanut-free table in the lunchroom.
Good luck. And if you do homeschool, there is a great hs network here. I think they even have a club that does outings and such.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.