Dready Mamas Unite - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 275 Old 04-04-2004, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
love2all, Sorry OT;Where are you? I am also in the mts of NC. In Boone actually. We just moved here from Asheville so I could finish school closer to my parents for some help with the kids.

I am a former dready, when I found out I was pregnant with dd I cut my hair it was in a sense a rebirth for me. I was traveling and doing tour so it got rid of some of the negative aspects of the scene you guys are talking about. It was amazing the difference in the way people treated me. Anyhow, I was thinking about letting my hair dread again after i finish school and buy land. My dd's hair is to her waist, she goes through a period of about once a month of wanting her hair to dread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 275 Old 04-04-2004, 02:32 PM

Hi ya'll! I have the kind of hair that turns into dreads overnight! I have let it go before off and on, and at the end of this summer I am gonna grow out my locks.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#33 of 275 Old 04-07-2004, 11:22 AM

I believe I just went in the MOST awkward place to have locks. I drove my mom to the hairdresser on prom day I had to get her all settled and bring in the wheelchair, etc. So these girls (probably 40 or so) we're giving me this horrible 'What the hell are YOU doing here' look, probably hoping I was there to get them cut off!

Damn, why does my kid have to obsessed with buzz cuts lately? He had the cutest lil locks and then decided with his best girl friend that a buzz cut would be much cooler (after they were talked out of mohawks!). So we gave em scissors and they are these short haired military looking kids now! aagh!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#34 of 275 Old 04-08-2004, 12:45 AM

Maekati-I am in Asheville. Pretty much dread capital of the south-east. Also OT- I heard about a public charter school based on Waldorf being opened in Boone. Heard that rumor or have any info?? I would love to move to a smaller town, as you konw Asheville is getting huge.
#35 of 275 Old 04-11-2004, 01:19 PM

Former dready here.....Had dreads for 8 or 9 years. I love dreads and often think about just letting it go...probably will sometime in the future. My littlest son has some dreads and my oldest used to have dreads now he just wants long hair, mohawk, ect...My middle son likes it short.
I live in Asheville too! I know lots of dready families and children here.
#36 of 275 Old 04-11-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hippiemom2
Phishmama, you just explained the reason that I don't go to phish shows anymore. I like the music but don't care for the scene too much. I travelled in the deadhead/rainbow circuit and I just felt more accepted at those type of gatherings than I did at the phish shows. I have experienced the shows with both dreads and just curly and the time I went with dreads was sooooo weird. Every five minutes someone was trying to score something. I explained that I was not dealing and they would look at me like I just didn't think they were cool enough or something. Like I was just holding out... grrrrr It just made me so mad. I had dreads at plenty of dead shows/ rainbow gatherings and didn't have that same vibe attached to it. It was almost like because I had dreads, I was in on some secret knowledge or something. Humans are really crazy creatures. .
That was so perfectly said!! I dont really care for the vibe of the Phish scene,and sadly a lot of that vibe is moving into the Dead scene. Not a summer goes by where I dont have friends dying on tour from pure idiocy...but thats another topic, for another place i suppose. Anyways....I have had dreads for only 3 years,and love em to death!!And I am soo glad there are others here!!
#37 of 275 Old 04-11-2004, 11:32 PM

Hi Everyone, and a special hi to all you asheville mamas, I am here too!

I have dreads, this is the second time. so does my partner. we have decided that we arent gonna let dd have em till she asks for them. i hope she wants them though. she would be soooo cute. she is only 10 months now and has about 1 inch of hair so it will be awhile.

Quote:
Do they get smelly?

Does it make your head itch? Mine gets itchy if I don't shampoo it for a while...with 4 kids I average 1 wash a week

Is it hard to maintain them? LIke when you get new growth through?
Currently mine are kind of moldy and when they get wet they smell like mildew. I have started using tea tree shampoo and i think it is helping. also i blow them dry to try and get them as dry as possible. i dont think i will need to do this once it is warm and i am outside more. i also think a trip to the ocean would be a miracle cure for them. my head doesnt itch at all but it did the last time i had them. i think for me the key is keeping my scalp clean and using shampoo instead of soap. the first time i had em i used dr. bronners and i think it was just too harsh and drying. my boyfriend gets disgusting crusty dandruff so he is now using shampoo and conditioner 2 times a week. it is working wonders. i always thought you couldnt use conditioner on dreads but once you have them i dont see why not. seems to be fine and is keeping his scalp happy. i use it from time to time also. oh and i brush the ends of mine every now and then too! i think i may be the only dready in the world that does this! i have curly hair and i like how i have curls at the end of my dreads and i dont want them to go away so from time to time i comb them. i never did that the first time, i was way more hard core. now i just do what i want! the question about new growth is a good one. very interesting concept. how do dreads work? i mean when you think about it it is strange how they keep growing in to dreadlocks with out any effort. the hair up top is loose and not dreaded for about an inch or so and then the dread starts, you would almost think eventually they would grow out but they dont! i think that is so cool.

I too have done tour and rainbow and agree with the whole vibe thing. it goes both ways ya know. when i had dreads everyone called me "sister" or "mama" then when i cut them off i had kids at gatherings explaining to me that they "traveled, didnt have jobs... etc..." like i was clueless and had no idea of the lifestyle! you dont have to be dirty and dready to be down! ha.

anyway, much love to you all. this thread was fun to read.
#38 of 275 Old 04-12-2004, 09:02 AM

love2all- Yes they are in the process of getting a Charter school open in Boone. I do not know if you are familiar with Evergreen in Asheville, but they will be using the same curriculum and it will be based on that school. I am so excited about it, it is scheduled to open the year my daughter will be ready to go to kindergarten. I was going to move back to Asheville when I finished school just to take my kids to Evergreen. I agree that Asheville is getting too big for me. Boone is great it has such a small town friendly atmosphere. Oh, and they are getting a new natural food market downtown that I am excited about. ANd there is also this great opportunity for renting if you are low income or going to school. PM me and I will tell you all about it if you are interested.
#39 of 275 Old 04-13-2004, 10:28 AM

WE did it!!!!!!!
Baby boy, born at home on monday 10:32 am
7lbs14oz
blond beautiful and soooo perfect!!!

peace all-- maria
#40 of 275 Old 04-13-2004, 11:29 AM

:
yayayay!!! Welcome to the world lil one!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#41 of 275 Old 04-13-2004, 11:42 AM

Congrats. Enjoy your babymoon!!
#42 of 275 Old 04-13-2004, 02:40 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! WAAAAHHOOOOEEEE!!

:

I am just now figuring out the smilies! Can you tell? LOL

PapaJon- Sorry, this is off topic but how do you like living in Athens. I have visited there a few times when I lived in Ohio about 7 years ago. I always fantasized that if I moved back to Ohio to be closer to my family, I would move to Athens. Isn't that close to Nelsonville, and Old Man's Cave, etc? I thought it was a lot like Yellow Springs (I am a former Antioch student).

Just wondering.

Peace,
Shelbi
#43 of 275 Old 04-13-2004, 04:57 PM

congratulations on your new little life!!!!

I'm new here and figured this was a good thread to start in..
I don't have a full head of dreads anymore.just a couple that hang out and sport beautiful beads and such...i used to have a full head but i chopped them off in a ..."moment..." just before my first son was born. My husband had a head full aswell but got rid just after our son was born.
My little man Kaleb who is 3 has a big head full of long curly hair...and he is always mistaken for a girl!!
We just had another boy, at home , Ezra Skye, on Janurary 10 2004.

I'm a pretty young mum and with my hair and my kids hair(lol) and our clothes we get a lot of looks..... I figure one day my son will want soem crazy colour of hair ...he's always tlaking to the kids with the bright coloured mohawks skateboarding dowtown!! he thinks it's amazing..lol

look forward to talking to you all!!!
#44 of 275 Old 04-15-2004, 03:25 PM

I used to have locks - (we don't call them dreads because it originated from the word dreadful from those that were ignorant and thought we were unclean and did not wash them) - but have cut them. And yes - I did wash them daily - because they were easier to maintain than regular processed hair. Hey - are you guys Rastafarian or do you just have locks? I'm a new member - mother of a 17-month old daughter and a son on the way in July. Peace & Blessings. MamiBeth.
#45 of 275 Old 04-30-2004, 01:38 AM

Daaamn this thread got buried! Just revivin.
Just came home after a month and a half in Omaha where I got at asked at least twice every freakin day about my locks. Glad to be home!!
mamibeth~ proud to NOT be rastafarian.

oh yay, this is a pretty old post, but I'm quite sure the lyrics of Bob are NATTY dread.... not knotty. Sorry, but that was just bugging the hell outta me.

#46 of 275 Old 04-30-2004, 02:28 AM

I don't have locks but I now have one in the back. I was going to cut it but I have made peace with it. I am going to call it Bob and just let it be. I need to get some damn conditioner at the store tomorrow before I have a whole head of them.

Rastafarians are not the only ones who get locks. Sometimes curly haired girls get them especially when living in extremely humid climates

Peace,
Shelbi
#47 of 275 Old 05-03-2004, 01:26 PM

hey dreads~
is this thread slooooowly dying? or can we revive it? hmmm...

what's your scene dreads? punk w/ the bleached/dyed dreads? old head? rasta? isolating your self in your little cabin w/ no contact to the outside world?

I myself am a phish kid. Too young to have been into the dead (jerry died when I was 15) and I just can't get into the vibe of the new Dead or spinoffs. I did phish tour for a few years after H.S. before getting pregnant. I used to go to random jambands, but now we live so far away from a venue that I am sad cause I don't get to swing the locks around dancin!

#48 of 275 Old 05-03-2004, 04:33 PM

Just like I don't have dreads anymore, I don't have a scene anymore. I did Deadtour when Jerry was still alive and then went to Antioch after that. Then, we did a bunch of Rainbow gatherings and travelled around until we became prego then it was time to try and re-enter "civilization". Now, the only time I get to dance much is in my living room with my children. But, that is ok with me. I don't like going out to bars much since I have stopped smoking cigarettes. I love the Dead, and am trying to branch out to other jambands. I like Phish's music but couldn't really get into the scene much. I like the Disco Biscuits a lot though. I haven't seen them live though and would really like to.

Peace,
Shelbi
#49 of 275 Old 05-03-2004, 04:42 PM

I don't have dreads anymore - had them for no particular reason other than the fact that my hair naturally dreads if I don't condition it a lot. I am thinking of doing micro braids or something along that line to keep the mess under control - I love the seeing some of my cyber goth friends with wild colored locks or braids.

I hate the work it is to keep short (hair cuts every 3 weeks). And it is just too wild to let grow and be natural unless I am going for the puff look.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#50 of 275 Old 05-03-2004, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i was Sup Pop dread from 88 to 94 or so. i still miss em. i had bones and beads in bells in my hair and i colored them different colors. i took them out to get a job in an animal clinic.

l o v e d them.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#51 of 275 Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 PM

Here is a list of some cool festivals in Ohio:

* Midwest Music Experience

* Ripplefest

* TAB Fest

* Harvest Jam

* Freedom Festival

A friend of mine took her kids to these and said it was really cool.

Peace,
Shelbi
#52 of 275 Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 AM

Dark Star is playing for three nights at nelson Ledges this july 4th.
it is a grat place for families. i think we will be there, anyone else? Let's connect sistas.
#53 of 275 Old 05-05-2004, 11:18 AM

Where's Nelson Ledges? Maria, if you're going, I'll just have to assume it's nowhere near me??

#54 of 275 Old 05-05-2004, 12:18 PM

Julie (dreadymama) Nelson Ledges is in Ohio......
wow this thread is loooong!! I don't have dreads but love the scene. tho like you mama's not able to get to shows like I used to due to my lil ones. I hope to see some festies this summer but am unsure how to go about taking kids to a show and still get doWn and have fun. It will be different thats for sure. But I miss my spirit being fed,running around, the wonderful feeling I'd get just being at a show!!! I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#55 of 275 Old 05-09-2004, 11:01 PM

julie-
it is a great place in ohio somewhere,
just checking in to say happy mamas day to all-
i am no good at this nakking thing
loving you mamas- maria
#56 of 275 Old 05-09-2004, 11:55 PM

Hey there!
So glad to have found you all. I was reading the Tour forum and was thinking "ooooo, a dread mama forum." Sweet!
I live in Asheville too. Should all us WNC mamas have a party or something? My whole family rocks dreads. I have midback length not-super-huge- dreads. I started them after Phish NYE 2000 in Florida. I forgot my brush... i thought "i can do it with my fingers"...yeah right! Curly haired mamas, you know all about it. My partner has a 5 year old big ass beaver tail ( you should see the looks!). He actually has six or seven dreads, 1 biggy in the back and a couple free minded stragglers in the front. And my almost 3 yo dd has approx. 13 little dreads in the back. She has me put her "dreadies" in a ponytail and comb the rest of her hair. She insisted on having dreads like mama and daddy, but she still wants her hair to be "pretty for PopPop". I wouldn't have let her, but she was so sincere about it.
I have dreads because my hair looks way worse without them, and because I don't fuse with anything else about the way I look, so why would I fuss with my hair?
I love living in Asheville! I have never felt so comfortable walking down the street anywhere since I started my dreads. No one really says anything about my dd's hair, but sometimes I see them eyeing her up at the local grocery store (not the health food store). She gets really excited when she sees another kid with dreads, which would almost never happen anywhere else.
I don't use shampoo, in my experience it causes moldy, stinky dreads. I simply thouroghly soak my hair once a week and scrub the sh*t out of it. My dreads don't stink and they don't look super skanky either. DD gets shampoo and conditioner b/c she doesn't understand about not wiping food in her hair yet, and i can usually only get her to let me comb the non-dready part every other week.
I have comments about Tour, but I want to keep this relatively short.

Please to meet you all!

Is there a way we can share pics? Dd would LOVE to look at pics of other dready kids!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#57 of 275 Old 05-10-2004, 01:30 AM

What the hell does nak mean? I'm clueless here.
Welcome lovelocks! Good to see more kind mamas here. I wish I knew how to post pics. I think it's come up before, but noone's ever done it. hmmm... maybe time to figure it out!
Everyone have a good Mama's Day? We were going to go to the hot springs, but I realized while DH soaks in the super hot pools, I'll be in the luke warm one holding baby... so we just went on a nice hike instead. Then out for pizza and beer! yay!

oh yay, and decided to not even fantasize about affording the Telluride Bluegrass Festival this year and just go to Taos Solar Music Festival. C'mon down, ya'll!

#58 of 275 Old 05-10-2004, 05:26 AM

to post pics, what I have done is find myself a picture-sharing site. If you go to my pictures link in my sig (I don't have dreads, but my partner does, BTW), you can get to the main site where I started my own thing, and you can too. Nak means nursing at keyboard.
#59 of 275 Old 05-10-2004, 12:20 PM

oh! I diditIdiditIdidit! Thanks mamajaza!
No good pics of my locks (why am I always the one behind the camera?) but you can check out my kiddos!

#60 of 275 Old 05-10-2004, 12:59 PM

mamajaza- awwww your boyfriend is beautiful!!! what a nice family thanks for sharing pics =)

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page