Dready Mamas Unite - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 275 Old 11-07-2003, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Dready Mama's

I had to do it, there is a thread for every other kind of mama, so I thought we needed one!!!!

Anyhow, if any of you Mama's wanna talk about the ADVENTURES OF THE DREADY MAMA , and all the fun that goes along, then here we are.

Much Love,
FroggyMama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 275 Old 01-20-2004, 06:28 PM

Who are dready mamas?

peace,
nappyhair
#3 of 275 Old 01-24-2004, 03:03 PM

Ok, Ok, I'll admit it. I have dreads in my head. I've had this batch for 8ish yrs now and there are only 5 (I never let my whole head go up). I've been training them out so that I can cut them out, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it as of yet, though 2 could easily go at any time. They are quite long as is the rest of my hair (like down to my bum).

I actually get a wide range of comments about them....get asked about my religious beliefs, it is assumed I have them only b/c I follow phish around, it is definitely assumed that I buy/sell/smoke pot, stuff like that...you get the idea. Really, I mainly have them b/c it is my hair's tendency to dread up (thick kinky curly hair that weighs down into spiral curls the longer it gets) and frankly, I just think they are neat. I let my first real dreads come in when I was 14, well, not counting the knotty messes my mom used to have to cut out of my head growing up, lol!

If I ever do get the nerve to cut them out then you guys are more than welcome to have all my peyote stitch and glass dready wraps.
#4 of 275 Old 03-28-2004, 12:07 PM

hey! I had to revive this thread and intro. my myself. I'm Julie livin near to Durango Colorado. I've had my locks for about 7 years now. Though my hair grows slow and they're only down to the middle of my back. I love them! I feel like it's an outward expression of my personality. It would be totally inappropriate for me to get out the brush and blowdryer and styling gel because inside, I'm just not a person who fusses over sh*t like that. Does that make sense? Like most things, it sounds better in my head than when I write it!
My dreads have caused lots of trouble for me. I got the boot from my folk's house at the beginning of my sen. year in high school for not combing! How silly is that? And of course gotten harrassed many a time by the cops thinking of course I must be a drug smuggler. In some places I've lived it has been really hard to get a job with this hair. But here in Durango it's been no problem. There are so many dreads here that the ski resort is the only employeer I can think of that doesn't want them and they have to list that in their classified ad! stupid.
Anyhow, I'm at my mom's house in Omaha now taking care of her after she broke her pelvis. This is a pretty big city, but I've only found 2 other dreads, who work at the healthfoods store. But I can't remember the last time so many people asked about my hair! 'Can I touch them?' 'Are they real or extensions?' 'Are you one of those people who worship/follow Bob Marley?' HAHAHA !! I just last week traveled to Memphis and we stopped in some little town in S.E. Missouri and this teenaged kid and his friend came walking down the street passed us and kept saying ' Bob Marley, bob marley' . weird, huh?
My oldest son had dreads for a bit, but after a couple months decided he wanted to become Rasta when he's a grown-up and he'll have dreads then!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#5 of 275 Old 03-29-2004, 01:01 PM

i just yesterday brushed my hair for the first time in years! it was shortish before so i didnt really need to but it was getting dreaded, and not in a nice way, mostly just a big matt on the back. BUt my 15 month old son has the sweetest lil dreads just on the back of his head. they are tiny and perfect and just created themselves. i like them a lot. i would like to dread my hair but i always get frustrated with growing it long enuff so... maybe one day ill be part of your wee tribe. who knows.

fern

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#6 of 275 Old 03-29-2004, 07:18 PM

Well, i want to post here too. I HAD locks for 11 years and cut them 2 years ago. I am sterting to grow them back and feel-- finally, some mamas I can relate to.

My dh and dh are beautiful dreadys, but dd has me condition her hair and comb it weekly.

I feel fortunate where I live to be able to go down the street and NOT be the main attraction in town. We lived in nowheresville before and now moved to Asheville-- major acceptance difference.

I just wanted to send my greetings and loving vibes- I am very preggo at this time and writing too much is difficult for me-- I can not complete a thought to easily!!!!!!!!!1
I will check in again soopeacefully waiting mystery #3-- Maria
#7 of 275 Old 03-29-2004, 11:17 PM

Funny to see this thread again! Just the other night my oldest son and I were last minute shopping for my niece's birthday gift and these high school aged girls were kinda following us from aisle to aisle. I knew exactly what they were looking at. Finally, one of them got up the nerve to stop me and ask me about my dreads, as she casually picked up "the beast" and felt it, lol. Classic. Barring preggo bellies, whenever else in life do people just touch you at random?! :LOL

Hey dready*mama-I'm a Julie also.

MamaFern-that cracked me up about the matt-the biggest dread I have ever seen was on this dude I used to see on phish tour. He let a bunch all grow together into one big fatty. It wasn't a pretty fatty either, lol. It was just big, er uh, wide, rather.

Oh, and mamas, I still haven't cut them out. I think I'm gonna wait til they're a decade old.
#8 of 275 Old 03-30-2004, 12:27 AM

When I lived in SF there was a guy that had a big "beaver" dread... Hey mamas, I am dready at heart. I had dreads for years, although I cut them off and now have long straight hair that wants to dread...although i have vowed not to grow them untill i have my own land.
#9 of 275 Old 03-30-2004, 02:07 AM

Well, I used to have dreads and I still am engaged in a daily battle with dreads. I have very thick, curly hair and it naturally dreads up on its own. If I don't condition and comb it out daily, I start getting them and if I wait too long I have to cut them out. I don't want dreads right now but plan on letting the whole mess dread up after I gain my credentials to be a midwife. I figure by the time that happens, I can have my on business and not have to worry about trying to gain employment with dreads. It is not an easy feat. I think it is so weird how differently you are treated just beause of a haristyle. So many assumptions based upon whether or not you have knots in your hair... humans are such odd creatures. LOL
#10 of 275 Old 03-30-2004, 04:30 AM

I wish that my hair would dread on it's own. I have thin, blonde hair, so I have to make my dreads myself. I had a head full of "knots" when my dughter was born, but it just lookied so nasty, so I started making some "real dreads" with dready boy wax. I kept it for a month or two, then brushed it out. It's hard when your hair has a "different agenda" then what you want.

I love bob marl.y (who doesn't, that has dreads?:LOL) and in one of his songs, *knotty dread*, he sings "knotty dreadlock in the babylon, knotty dread, roots knotty, roots knotty".... That just makes me sooooo want to have dreads!!! I like to shake things up, and sometimes feel that my messy, but not dready blonde hair is giving other people the wrong impression of what I feel like on the inside.

DOWN WITH BABYLON! LET"S GET DOWN TO THE ROOTS!
#11 of 275 Old 03-30-2004, 01:49 PM

I had the super straight thin hair, too. My trick was to stop using conditioner when I washed it and when I moved to Florida after high school, and went in the ocean every day, my hair was a jungle all of a sudden!
I remember seeing a girl on phish lot all the time who had 3 dreads. That looked incredoubly uncomfortable. how would you even sleep on that? I wish there were other dread mamas here in Durango I could hook up with. There is a really strange white rasta phenomenon here. Not too-surprisingly there are no black people here to school them. So they harsh dreads who have just arrived in the area if they are not rasta. But i've learned just to make fun of them right back for thinking they are black:LOL and they don't give me shit anymore. Am I allowed to type that? I don't mean to dis the ras crew, but you know, changing your last name to X just makes me wanna laugh. hahaha
Also, mamas with long dreads, how the hell do I style this head? Since I live in a rasta dread culture, everyone here just wears tams (bonnets they are affectionatly called here). I can't remember how folks styled them on tour since it's been a while since I lived in a city where shows came through. I take two locks from behind my ears and pull them to the back and knot them. When I'm lazy, it just gets to a ponytail. My fave was when they were wee lil sprouts and I could make pig-tails that stuck straight out!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#12 of 275 Old 03-31-2004, 07:49 PM
Red

I don't have dreads, but I do have some questions and no one to ask. I hope you don't mind if I ask here. I'm trying to deal with my own ignorance!

I live in an area that's mostly white, but where there are quite a few people with dreads. My first question is partly answered above, but I was wondering about the two styles of dreads I've noticed. Some are just there, others are obviously formed. Is there any difference in the reason why?

And why? i mean, is there a way to know if someone is a Rasta, or just into the hairdo? And when it's really matted and tangled and hanging, is this a choice, or something that just isn't being 'cared for'. I mean no insult, I just would like to understand, and I don't.

If I understand the above posts, some people have them because they like Marley or Phish?

TIA
#13 of 275 Old 03-31-2004, 08:20 PM

Some folks do put alot of effort in to forming dreads (waxes, etc) but those are definately not rasta because ras is all about the natural. Black rastas are easy to tell because their locks are much nappier, while non-ras are perfectly formed, just for the style of it, i suppose. Other than that, it's hard to tell unless a white ras is wearing a bunch of halie selassie (sp?) stuff and the red, green, gold, black stripes. Although, even then it's hard to tell, cause lots of hippies just want to pretend they're ras and really have no idea what it's about so they'll go around praising HIM (his imperial majesty) and wear the colors just to be 'cool'. Since Bob Marley is got so commercialized, it does seem pretty cool to 'put dreads in'. Just gotta ask I guess. It won't be insulting, trust me, we get it all the time
I think most folk have the dreads, unless you are ras, are hippies and just coincidentally like phish or grateful dead or alternative culture. It's pretty accepted in those circles and we don't get grief about it or even a second glance if you're in a place where it's normal (shows & our towns it appears!).
ah chere~don't mean to give no disrespect to the momas who made their dreads, just explainen is all

#14 of 275 Old 03-31-2004, 10:04 PM

If I lived near the ocean, I would probably be able to have "authentic" dreads. My ex has a head full of little dreadys, but it's from bed head, and I like to call his dreads bed dreads. He has the kind of hair that likes to form dreads.

I don't think it's fair, dreadymomma, to assume that people who make their dreads are *trying* to be like a real rasta, or hippie, or whatever. Some people need the dread wax, or they would have a rat's nest to deal with.

I would not consider myself rasta, by any stretch, but I really dig bob marley, and I feel like he was a prophet. His songs make me have chills. I like having dreads because they make me "stand out" from the crowd, and feel rebelious. I'm not going to goop my hair up with hairspray and wash it 3 times a day. Again, if I only lived near the ocean, I would be able to have those "real dreads".

What is your take on separating dreads? Is that deemed styling them, or making them? Or what about trying to round out the "beaver dreads"?

It's really got a lot of politics attached to it, hey?
#15 of 275 Old 03-31-2004, 10:15 PM

When I had dreads, it was more about comfort than anything else. I just wanted to stop trying to comb out all the knots. It hurts and I didn't want to have to deal with it. I was living out of my RV going to a bunch of shows and just didn't have the access to a daily shower, and tons of shampoo and conditioner to maintain a dread free hairstyle. Also, there are some who have dreads because of the Celtic priestess' traditions of having dreads. A friend of mine who has really huge dreads tries to explain it that way whenever she gets a bunch of crap from people making fun of her for being white with dreads. I think that dreads tend to make you stick out from the crowd and part of that is answering questions about your hair to strangers.

I preferred to form my dreads so that I wouldn't get huge nappy ones. I found the bigger ones to be too uncomfortable to sleep on. I thought the smaller ones helped out whenever I needed to look "normal" for a job interview. (It was easier to put on a scarf, or a hat, and have them look like my normal bushy, curly hair) As far as styling them, I would pull them back occasionally but mostly let them fly with the breeze. WAAAAHHHHOOOOEEEEE!!!! Man I really miss those dreads whenever I am dancing. I really dug the way the felt when I was dancing.

Peace,
Shelbi
#16 of 275 Old 04-01-2004, 12:58 AM

hippiemama~ that's cool about the celtic priestess' havin locks!
jaza~ ahhshit, see I knew I was gonna just jump straight from da frypan into da fire! ha! I actually have had lots of lil sprouts come to be since living away from the ocean. Silly police cuttin em out cause of beads that just wouldn't come loose and then I had a big ole beav tail in the back that just made my head ache to sleep on it so I had to cut that apart and it ended up just falling out. So I'm all for seperating cause I'm dread for COMFORT and for fun (yay for the feel of dancin and the pics always make me giggle of kids dancin with the locks flyin all around!:LOL), not to make a statement. But I used to condition after shampooin and stopped the condition and now my thin straight hair just knots right up!

ah yay, and ya'll got any thoughts on good shampoo for my itchy head in the dryest part of the country out here? I used to use nature's gate teatree but I don't like the SLS in it so I now use Jason organic but its not really makin the itch stop. what do ya'll use? is that a weird question or what?...only on a dread forum!AYEE!

#17 of 275 Old 04-01-2004, 04:00 AM

I don't have any suggestions except sometimes I would take mineral oil and apply it to the scalp (I know it is difficult but if you take a Q-tip you can manage to get through to the scalp). It would help relieve the itchiness that comes with winter in the midwest (where I grew up). Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions.

Peace,
Shelbi
#18 of 275 Old 04-01-2004, 04:41 AM

I have been thinking of starting a thread to see if anyone here has dreads and to get their opinion of them!!

I have very long thick curly hair that dreads itself in a day of washing/conditioning/deknotting. My hairdresser suggested I get dreads to keep the mass under control!! Unfortunately, I would have to go to Melbourne to get them and fork out $400 .

Can someone tell me..

Do they get smelly?

Does it make your head itch? Mine gets itchy if I don't shampoo it for a while...with 4 kids I average 1 wash a week

Is it hard to maintain them? LIke when you get new growth through?

Sorry if I sound totally naive, but there is noone I know to ask!!!!!!:
#19 of 275 Old 04-01-2004, 11:55 AM

hippiemom~ I was always under the impression mineral oil is bad for you? I'm in the midwest right now visitin my mom, and so maybe that's why it's itchy, never thought of that...hmmm...

cinna-mum~ hahaha i think that's really random a hairdresser would suggest dreads! although i wouldn't pay to have someone put them in! esp. since your hair dreads so easily, it wouldn't be a fuss, except just to keep em seperated.

They're not at all smelly if you keep washin your hair like you regularly do. Just don't use conditioner until they are good and formed. For some reason, when I first wanted a natty hairdo, I thought I would just stop washing my hair and let nature take over. ick! I was the biggest greaseball! Thank goodness I figured out to wash it!

Not hard to maintain. Just as they start to form, keep them seperated to how big/small you want them to be. That can hurt a bit, but otherwise you'll end up with a huge rats nest of hair! You gotta keep seperatin them every once-in-a-while cause new hair will grow in and grow into the old locks.

#20 of 275 Old 04-01-2004, 12:25 PM

I'm sorry, mamas, but my preggo hormones have me going over here and I spit my drink out laughing so hard over unkempt beav' hair and bed dreads!!!!

:LOL

Red-there is this strange heirarchy that has developed over the years on the phish scene and it's kinda like many believe that some of the more hard core"true phans" are the dready kids in the lots. Like they are the headiest kids, with the best drugs for sale and they sell all kinds of stuff to the "custies"-the non dready, not really into phish, just there for the ride and the goodies type of kids. Then again, sometimes dreadies are made fun of and are referred to as wooks or wookies since they resemble chewbacka. These are generalizations or stereotypes, and are laughable at best, imo. I can tell you that I'm always asked for drugs on tour, though, esp greens. I also remember when no one or barely anyone had dreads or even patchy clothes on phish tour...that would be the early '90's. Circa '95 was the patchwork explosion and circa '97 brought in the extasy and dreadies (not necessarily together). Some kids just think you need dreads on phish tour to better fit in or to look super phishy or whatever. It has never been the "come as you are" family community that the dead was, though my hubby and I have tried to show that way, ohhhhhh, have we tried...*sigh*

Dready*mama-When I was low on proteins in my diet my head dried out badly and I had some wicked bad itchy dreads. I'll have to look up some recipes I made for hair conditioners b/c I do distinctly remember stinking up my head at one point, d'oh! I think tea tree oil helped, if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure that one recipe I mixed vit e gel with hemp seed oil and tto and some other goodies to get a conditioner of sorts. I'll have to get back to you, though.

Hippie-that is wild about the Celtic priestess traditions. I didn't know it went that deeply. I know celts and norsemen and the such had dreads, but figured that was due to where they lived and poor hygiene. :LOL
#21 of 275 Old 04-01-2004, 02:10 PM

Hello,

I just found out about my little bun in the oven on Tuesday night (with my first - AIYY!). My buddy, Mountain Mama, suggested to check out this forum cuz she knew I was addicted to a soapmaker's forum.

Anyways, I have dreads and them! I'm also a soapmaker who only makes hemp soap. You can check out my hair and soap at my site www.dobeclean.com. My dread shampoo is called Do Be Dreadful. Keeps my head happy and itchies gone plus river-friendly.

I'm very excited about finding this place and meeting all these interesting women!

Kathy
Hempress of Clean
#22 of 275 Old 04-01-2004, 06:39 PM

Hello: I am not a Dready Mama but my wife is (Mtn Mama) hope I am welcomed if not let me know. Congrats yogagirl. My goddess likes her dreads clean also. (At least there is one thing good about not being on tour).
#23 of 275 Old 04-02-2004, 02:25 AM

Thank you Papa! I need to edit my post to add interesting men too. Cool your goddess is a rock star! (I'm assuming)
#24 of 275 Old 04-02-2004, 02:44 AM

I don't have dreads ,but I wanted to say a few things.
First, dready*mama I grew up in Omaha, left, and am now back trying to get out again. I had to :LOL when I saw some of the comments you have been getting here. It sounds so typical of most folks here.
And phishmama I saw that you mentioned the Phish lots and i would have to agree. I am sort of middle of the road jeans and t-shirt gal and I always thought there was some sort of tension at Phish shows like if you weren't dready, or wearing patchwork or a long skirt you shouldn't be there. I never got it; I mean good music is good music who cares about apperances : anyway, thanks for spreading the

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#25 of 275 Old 04-02-2004, 03:35 AM

Phishmama, you just explained the reason that I don't go to phish shows anymore. I like the music but don't care for the scene too much. I travelled in the deadhead/rainbow circuit and I just felt more accepted at those type of gatherings than I did at the phish shows. I have experienced the shows with both dreads and just curly and the time I went with dreads was sooooo weird. Every five minutes someone was trying to score something. I explained that I was not dealing and they would look at me like I just didn't think they were cool enough or something. Like I was just holding out... grrrrr It just made me so mad. I had dreads at plenty of dead shows/ rainbow gatherings and didn't have that same vibe attached to it. It was almost like because I had dreads, I was in on some secret knowledge or something. Humans are really crazy creatures. Like I said, it is hair. Protein- strings of amino acids that have been constructed by our body and pushed through the pores of our head. But, by the way in which we comb, rake, dye, and otherwise mutilate and contort these proteins we make a statement about our personality that is interpreted by everyone that we come into contact with on a daily basis. Sorry about the ramble, I am taking the second part of anatomy and physiology and just marvel at the complexity of human interactions.

Peace,
Shelbi

P.S. I don't think mineral oil is bad for you but a little goes a long way. I got an itchy head in the midwest every winter I was there. It is so damn dry around there for whatever reason.
#26 of 275 Old 04-02-2004, 10:41 AM

Sorry yogagirl what I ment is that my family is a bunch of deadhead and now that the scene has been changing no longer go to shows. I don't think I could of married a rock star. But my wife has some gorgeous dreads.
#27 of 275 Old 04-02-2004, 12:15 PM

AYEE! I know what ya mean about phish lots. I never did dead, but have done tons of phish. It is weird how many people ask for drugs. And not just on lot. Rest stops, gas stations, grocery stores, family reunions (that's a little awkward), pretty much any public place! haha. I would think on lot, folks would get the clue - hey, I have two lil' kids with me - no I don't have this bag stuffed with pharmies and X, it's actually stuffed with diapers and veggie booty (oops ~did I let it slip that I'm actually a big nerd in disguise)
phishmama~ hook it up with the recipies, i don't think i'm lacking nutrients, so much as living in dry midwest for a spell and mostly arid southwest.
lilmissmama~ i'll be in town another month takin care of my mama with her broke pelvis, so lets get together.

#28 of 275 Old 04-03-2004, 11:08 AM

hey dready mamas. i'm a used to be dready, couldn't keep up with trying to "make" them, with three kids i just didn't have the time to fuss with hair. so i just went no comb and no poo instead after cutting out the several really good dreads i had going .

so anyway that was about a year ago. at that time my 5 year old was dreading with me and then got this hugey so we cut all his hair (at his request of course) and started over. now i totally don't touch his hair to try to make it dread because he has this hair that has always since birth had "bed head" in the back. and now since i just kinda watch it to be sure nothing forms into a big mass it is doing fine on it's own. he's 6 1/2 now and his hair is to his shoulders with about 10 dreads in the back that are natural and not ropey (like he wanted them to be, ya know like in the tarzan cartoon) but he likes having them. other than that he has perfectly silky smooth unkinky hair everywhere else.

so does anyone else have kids with dreads? i think as i was scanning there was mention of a few. i would love to see some pictures. anyway here are my questions. we unschool so his hair doesn't have to be an issue there. but we recently had to take him to the eye dr. (he has lazy eye...20/1200 in the one eye...yikes) and the first thing the nurse says is "she" having a bad hair day? i say no, "he's" letting his hair dread. his name is silas so i don't know why she would assume he was a girl (except that even with short hair he makes an absolutely gorgeous girl). but anyway, do any of you run into people thinking your somehow skuzzy cause your kids looks sorta ratty (to them not me). also what do you do to make sure it stays clean. i personally don't use shampoo so i stopped using any for my kids as well and it's been a little over a month now. i usually just put baking soda in their bath water and the use a cup and i massage the water through the hair and that's it. his hair seems to be dreading even better since i started doing this. i'd like to hear more stories about that sort of thing. any takers.

sorry so long:
#29 of 275 Old 04-03-2004, 12:19 PM

I totally use shampoo. As mentioned in earilier posts, I just don't use conditioner, cause the shampoo makes hair super tangly. When my lil guy had locks, the only grief I got was from my mom who couldn't wait until I cut them, and kept telling Clay that he would look so handsome with "boys" hair: . But I think all us momas with long haired boys can relate to them being called girls. I almost felt guilty that I wasn't dressing him in completely boyish clothes to make the distintion easier (His favorite color is purple, he's not the most testosterone-filled boy I've met )

#30 of 275 Old 04-03-2004, 05:24 PM

My 5 year old is a dready- he is also named Sylas!!!!!!!!!!
His 8 yo sista in the ultimate in unschooling has decided to go to school-- her choice and it has been truely wonderful for her- so she now washes and conditions her hair 1-2x a week.
There are at least 20 other dready families and even some children with locks at this school-- so we actually have found a comunity through this school. strange sometimes where you may find your tribe!!!!!!!!!
peace mamas-maria

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page