I REALLY want to have another (biological) baby. I REALLY don't want to give birth again. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just putting that out there. I think it makes me feel a bit better just to "say it out loud," as it were.

There are no easy answers. At some point, the urge to be pregnant/have a baby again will be stronger than the fear/anxiety/anger/reluctance surrounding birthing again. And then WTH do I do? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Right there with you! Although it's the pregnancy and post-partum bits that have me freaked out too, not just the birth.

Here's hoping we get through it.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#3 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 AM

That's how I'm feeling right now too. We are definitely planning to have more kids but with what I just went through this last one I get really anxious even thinking of going through labor again (enough that I think of just scheduling c/s for future kids, even though I know that's not what I really want). I'm hoping that by the time we are ready to ttc again that I will feel better about it.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#4 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 AM

Right there with you......and the scary thing is that even though ds turns 1 this month, I am already having STRONG urges to have another.....WTH?? I'm not sure at all what to do...I've even started planning/looking into local hospitals so I can get drugs.....but then I think of the negatives associated with that....nto to mention my daughter in law just had a baby and got an apidural that DIDN'T work...and I start freaking out thinking about what if I give up everything and go to the hospital ( which would be awful for me..just driving by it makes me ill...I HATE hospitals) and then still don't get the pain relief I need.....it's just an awful, awful choice and I don't know why on earth giving birth has to be so horrible.

CPST
#5 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 03:34 AM

Yep me too. My lo is only 7 months old but I feel really strongly that we will soon be expecting again. I DONT want to pregnant and I really DONT want to give birth. I know that if I ever get pregnant again it will be nine months of worry and "what ifs" followed by years of anger, guilt, and sadness.
#6 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Right there with you......and the scary thing is that even though ds turns 1 this month, I am already having STRONG urges to have another.....WTH?? I'm not sure at all what to do...I've even started planning/looking into local hospitals so I can get drugs.....but then I think of the negatives associated with that....nto to mention my daughter in law just had a baby and got an apidural that DIDN'T work...and I start freaking out thinking about what if I give up everything and go to the hospital ( which would be awful for me..just driving by it makes me ill...I HATE hospitals) and then still don't get the pain relief I need.....it's just an awful, awful choice and I don't know why on earth giving birth has to be so horrible.
In so many ways, you and I are completely on the same page (exception being that I'm okay with hospitals). My ds is 9 mos. Still no PPAF but in the last month I've started really thinking about that #3. And we want 4-8 children . . . ><panic><. I can feel the blood draining out of my face just thinking about it.

I go back and forth. Hospital, w/midwives, epidural optional. What if I choose the epi and it doesn't work? That's one of the worst outcomes IMO. Homebirth. But what if it's like birth #2? No, no no no no. Can I accept the risks of the epidural, for me and for the baby? Can I really sign myself up for hours of physical torture? I look at my beautiful baby boy and I know he was worth it. But would it be worth it to do it again? It's a different question.

And I'm still worried about hospital policies and unnecessary intervention. I don't want to be messed with in birth. I know I can't handle myself. I thought maybe I could after birth #2, but really, I get very suggestible. I was good with just my dh, but once a medical person comes into it, I am just a bowl of jello. Which is why I need good support, a good doula and a supportive HCP who will respect my birth plan and desires to the extent possible. I do think my midwives are those people. But both times I've been in labor, I've become so insular. The first birth I arrived at the hospital ready to push, and the second time I called too late for my midwife to get there on time. I know I want a HCP there during transition, because both births that's when I've really needed someone medical/professional to reassure me and help me get through it. But I also have to figure out how to get through my mental block of, "I'm doing fine, let's wait another hour to call."

I got pregnant with #2 when #1 was 14/15 mos. Nice, 2 year gap between them. I'd like either 2 or 3 years between #2 and #3. I did want a little bit bigger gap this time, but OTOH I really like the 2 year difference. Eh, who can plan these things anyway. With how many months TTC it takes, I don't feel like I actually have any control.

I love my babies so much and can't imagine not having more. But I also just dread, dread, dread the thought of giving birth again. How could I possibly have a relaxed birth if I'm hugely anxious going into it? Ugh.
#7 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 PM

I hear you ramona....and for me, it isn't just the awful birth..I've had hyperemesis both times, along with a number of otehr complications which make ythe entire 9 months awful hellish torture....so I am literally sacrificing 3/4 of a year of my life if I want another kid....and during those 9 months, I can not be a good mother AT ALL to the kids I already have....I do nothing but vomit and feel like death the whole entire time, i can't clean ro cook or eat or in any way interact with/play with my kids, or even care for basic needs. I certainly couldn't change diapers. Water makes me vomit for gosh sake.

so...it this awful decision.....it isn't just the mind blowingly awful birth experience potential..its the pottential of a third nightmarish pregnancy, and a full 3/4 of a year out of my and my children's lives where I can do nothing except try not to die. It's a HUGE price to pay..a REALLY huge price......and i look at my great kids, and of course i love them and think they are worth any price, but exactly like you said...signing up to do it AGAIN? that seems....just laughably ludicrous....a sure sign of mental illness.....straight up crazy.

CPST

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page