Anger over birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello folks:

I had a beautiful, healthy and amazing boy on August 21st. I hadn't posted here after the birth because I still feel a bit traumatized over it.

Essentially, I had a UP and was planning upon a UC. I labored at home for close to three days and my water refused to break. After being up for 72+ hours, my husband took me to the hospital. Initially, the nurses were kind, but when I was moved to labor and delivery, I did get lectured at by a nurse for not subjecting myself to a battery of tests, pre-natal visits, etc. I had been up for days and she kept telling me that she would not call the doctor until my water broke. I was given pitocin and after "surviving" on that for 5 hours, I got an epidural. It wasn't until my little one started to get distressed that a doctor was brought in and I ended up with an emergency c-section for all of my laboring efforts. Naturally, I was drug-tested and visited by a social worker because, you know, you'd have to be insane and completely irresponsible to have an UP.

After this garbage, a family row was started over our decision not to circumsize our son. Family members were prevailing upon me to "just do it" and suggesting that I was cruel for not doing so. My husband's father even intimated that our son would never get into heaven. It got so bad and I was so upset (both because of the disrespect and hormones), we told the nurses that no one was allowed to visit the room anymore.

So, this happened back in August and I try not to think about my son's birth. I get so angry when I do. Angry at the hospital and so angry at family members. A part of me feels a bit damaged and that there's this resentment just bubbling below the surface.

Needless to say, my son is so incredibly handsome, robust and healthy. I suppose that makes me feel some consolation.

Frantic, fabulous, single mama to two wonderful boys.dizzy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 AM

cruel to not circumsize? ... that just blows my mind.

You are a really good mommy and you made the best decisions for your son. Just forget what all those other people say.

(())
#3 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 AM

oh mama, that's awful. You're amazing for all you endured to bring your boy earthside. If your husband's father is Christian I found this with google.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#4 of 7 Old 01-03-2009, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much. I think that posting my story here has been healing for me.

Frantic, fabulous, single mama to two wonderful boys.dizzy.gif

#5 of 7 Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I had been up for days and she kept telling me that she would not call the doctor until my water broke
Okay, that's just ridiculous. When babies are born in the caul, does this nurse catch them herself rather than calling the doctor, since the water hasn't broken yet??

My water didn't break during birth #2 until after pushing had begun, and baby was born at most 30 min later. If they had waited to call my midwife, she would never have been there in time. So that nurse should be disciplined and if you had the energy/appetite to do so, a letter of complaint about her to the hospital is not a crazy idea.

I'm very sorry for your terrible experience. Who knows how differently things could have gone if you had recieved support, compassion and patience in that hospital rather than judgment, ignorance and negativity?
#6 of 7 Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 AM

#7 of 7 Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 AM

I always feel so weepy when someone has birth trauma. I wish you healing. Good vibes being sent your way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page