c-section numbness??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an emergency c-section over 1.5 weeks ago. The center of my lower abdomen right above the incision is completely numb and the sides are very sore. Is the numbness from the epidural? Has anyone else experienced this. The doctor did not explain that this could happen. I have an appointment tomorrow. But until then I was wondering why it is there. I am finding it to be quite disturbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

As disturbing as it feels, yes, it is normal. They cut nerves and skin and moved muscle to get your baby out. The area around my incision was numb for quite a while. It's pretty much back to normal but is hypersensitive to touch. Speaking with other moms who have had c-sections, it seems normal.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:25 PM

It's something that is "normal" for all major abdominal surgery, but YES, it SUCKS. It's because all of the nerves were cut. Thankfully, my MD-mother was with me when I was in the hospital, and she helped me cope (or try to cope) with all the nasty side effects. Mine was a medical emergency, as well, so I had no preparation in advance, either.

Mine was 3 weeks ago, and every day, it changes how it feels, but the numbness is still very disturbing. I've heard from friends who had necessary c-s 1 & 5 years ago, and their bellies still have varying degrees of numbness and weird feelings.

take care
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. i wish someone had warned me-I would have been more calm about it.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 AM

yeah--at 1+ year mine is still numb

it sucks

nobody warned me about it either

ETA--it's normal....
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 PM

jessaroo,

I had c-section numbness too right after my surgery. It felt like the skin was put back in the wrong place. I started taking evening primrose oil and massaging the incision scar and at three months the numbness was gone. Now, 7.5 months later, my scar is very soft and flexible with no numbness or pain. It doesn't feel any worse than the texture of a stretchmark.

I could feel the EPO thinning out my scar within a week. You have to wait until your scar is good and healed before you start massaging. I waited eight weeks. When you massage your scar, use some belly butter or vitamin e oil and try to pinch and roll the scar in your fingers. It hurts, but the massage will help break down tough scar tissue.

mothering my beautiful crash cesarean
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM

I still have some numbness after almost 2 years. I've had 4 sections, though, plus a laparotomy that left a scar from my sternum to my pelvis.... so, my nerves are pretty much shot in the tummy area.

I would also recommend vit E oil.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 PM

It's normal, and both recovery time and degree of recovery vary from person to person and from surgery to surgery.

I've had four c-sections.

After my first "emergency" one, the numbness lasted several weeks (or possibly months - it's been a long time and details are sketchy). I know that by the time I went back to work at 5 months pp, the only numbness left was the actual scar line.

After my second section, which was scheduled and labour-free, the numbness was bad for about 3 months. I had pain in one end of the incision for about 8 or 9 months. It was intermittent, but very painful. I acquired a permanent (probably) band of numbness that extends about 1/4"-1/2" above and below the scar.

After my third section, I had numbness on my left side, from my navel to the end of my incision. It extended up to my navel, and was also internal. It affected my entire pelvis, so that I couldn't feel my clitoris, my vagina, or most of that area. That was 3.5 years ago, and I've never regained full bladder sensation. I think my other sensations are back to what they were, but it may be the "new normal". It's been too long for me to say.

After my fourth section (emergency after HBAC transfer), the numbness from number three never went away, but it didn't get any worse. I had/have the usual (for me, at least) band of numbness above and below my incision.

I have another section coming up in June, and I'm wondering what that recovery will be like. It's obvious to me that there's no way to tell based on past experience.

I'm not surprised nobody warned you. I've never had a doctor, or any other medpro, mention a single possible negative effect of a c-section.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-06-2009, 03:19 AM

I had the same problem after my section. My leg and hip were also numb in areas fer almost a week. It totally suxs but its not unheard of. I would still tell your Dr. about it just to put your mind totally at easy. You just need time to heal, hun. It will get better day by day......
Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am glad to know I am not alone. I just wish the docotr had explained it as a side affect before I was sent home. He made it seem like no big deal. I kniw it is just a little numbness, but it felt pretty disturbing when I began to notice it and wasn't sure if it was normal.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaroo View Post
I am glad to know I am not alone. I just wish the docotr had explained it as a side affect before I was sent home. He made it seem like no big deal. I kniw it is just a little numbness, but it felt pretty disturbing when I began to notice it and wasn't sure if it was normal.
I've never felt like it's "just a little numbness". I really hate being numb, in any way, and the permanence of this really bugs me. I, too, wish I'd been warned, but in my case, it wouldn't have mattered. I refused my first section, and they did it, anyway...don't think informed consent was the priority.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-29-2014, 12:11 AM

Hello my baby is 4 months already and since having my secind c-sec I have experienced complete numbness in my lower regions its had a massive effect ob our once healthy sex life im really worried as its effecting our marriage any advice please
Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My cousin has had problems with circulation in her legs since her c/sec. She says she thinks it is from the lymph nodes in her groin failing to drain. I am not sure. Her doctor tells her it is all in her head, but I know she did not have such heavy legs before her baby was born.

She does not have varicosities, just heavier legs and ankles, and yes, numbness.

User Tag List