I have never told my story on a forum like this. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Abrielle is almost 2. I had an ok birth, by hospital standards. But it was not what I wanted. It was not my dream and I am afraid this one will not be either. Someday I will get my homebirth. Here is my story:

My daughter dropped to about a 0 station by 29 weeks gestation. I was still working full time, in a bad/unsupportive marriage, and had a lot of reservations about the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy. However I was happy to welcome her because I had a hard time getting pregnant. I guess my poor views of pregnancy don't help. In high school I had 2 m/c's, one of which was a result of severe domestic/dating violence with my then BF. I was beaten and left in a parking lot bleeding and miscarrying a 12 week fetus. I have had 6 pregnancies (including the current) and only 1 live birth so far (I will be having my daughter in August, though).

So, at 29 weeks, the preterm labor and dialation started. I had been planning a HB, but was seeing contingency care at the local hospital. I ended up with reoccuring Bacterial Vaginosis which put me into preterm labor 6 times prior to reaching 35 weeks. By that time I was in so much pain from carrying a baby that low and just tired all together.

I worked untili was 39 weeks pregnant because we needed the money. I had my membranes stripped at 38 weeks and then again at 39 weeks and 5 days. I went into labor that day. My labor started at about 2 pm on Friday, April 20th 2007. after having the stripping done. It didn't regulate into normal contractions until about 4 AM Saturday morning, though. By then I was having bloody show and my contractions were about 10 minutes apart. I labored at home with my friend Lisa, then my mother, until my MW showed up at around 3 PM. She checked me and I was 4 CM dialated. I continued to labor and have intensified contractions, although everytime I got in the water, it would make them slow a bit. By 10 PM on Saturday, my contractions were about every minute-2 minutes and lasting 3 minutes, they would peak three times or just stay up at a peak through the whole contraction. I could not move off of my birth ball. I could not sleep and I was in so much pain. My mother and husband were little to no help. My midwives and doula were trying to rest downstairs. At about 2 AM I started to feel like I needed to take a poop and was screaming about pressure. When I told my midwife something was wrong, my body was bearing down and it was hurting INSIDE. She had her assistant mw check me and I was swelling shut. We tried blue and black cohosh, but at 3 AM we all talked and decided we needed to make it stop or make it go. I was exhausted and my mother and husband wanted me to transfer. Alone with them upstairs I caved and went to the hospital. We arrived at about 3:30 AM at the hospital, my contractions made the labor and delivery nurse stare in AWE at the monitor. I had a muscle spasm with a 3 minute peaking contraction and almost fell off the bed. I then asked for an epidural and the pitocin. I just wanted this OVER with.

My MW at the hospital was very sympathetic and respectful. I had a great labor and delivery nurse too. I had the stadol at around 4 AM and then my light epidural at 5 AM, then they started my pitocin and I slept until 7 AM. My water broke on it's own at 8:30 AM and I went from 5 CM to 10 CM by 10 AM.

I was allowed to move and push in any position, I was respected and not counted at or yelled at to push. It was respectful and as gentle as possible. I did not tear, I felt everything to push since my epidural had worn off by then.

After the birth I did not breatfeed successfully, I had PPD and was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. My daughter was allergic to seemingly everything and I felt like a huge failure. I couldn't even cloth diaper her successfully.

I just needed to get this out. I know my birth was a cake walk compared to some, but I just feel like it was not what I wanted. It was not my dream. I was a bad mom on top of it for resenting her and the birth. I have never recovered from that feeling and it follows me now with this pregnancy. I feel as though I will be a failure. My situation is horrible and I have little to no support and feel very alone.

I am hoping this can help me heal a bit.

Thanks for listening.
#2 of 5 Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 AM

I resented ds1 sometimes after the cesarean & it took me months to feel anything for him other than responsibility. I still feel guilty about that, but he's a pretty happy kid most of the time.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-28-2009, 01:22 AM

I am sorry it wasnt the birth you had hoped for

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#4 of 5 Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Sweetie, that does not sound like a "cake walk." It's okay to acknowledge that it was really hard. It sounds like you have been through a lot and you are a very strong woman. I'm sorry you are feeling alone. I hope you can find someone to talk to about it.

Hugs!
#5 of 5 Old 04-03-2009, 07:34 PM

BIG HUGS Torre!

What kind of support system do you have going for you now?

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page