Transferred to Hospital and became statistic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-09-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like we're having DC2 and it's causing me to revisit my birth with DC1. (Although I do that fairly often.)

I went to the only MW in town with a birth center. I read Ina May Gaskin, hung out on MDC, got as educated as possible (I thought).

My labor was awful. DS was posterior and it was excruciating. As I reflect now, which is hard to do from the "fog of war," it seems like the MW kept running against my instincts. I kept deferring to her as an issue of trust.

Here are some examples.

It was midnight when labor was in full swing. I wanted to keep walking around, and she told me I needed to rest. Walking is always therapeutic for me. But instead I was in bed with bad pain.

At some point she pushed my cervix open the last centimeter or so.

She shot me up with nubain so I could rest again.

Then she broke my waters which later I decided was the ultimate insult.

We pushed for 2 hours, then she said, oops, you've timed out of our center. We have to go to the hospital.

The OB gave the ol' CPD diagnosis. And I believe at that point nothing else could have been done. It was too late to reverse the AROM effects. The c/s actually went as well as one could hope. The staff was compassionate and competent.

The MW made one feeble attempt at follow-up. She called to say she would visit and then never showed up. Just pay in full for her services.

It's hard for me to connect with a lot of VBAC stuff because so few are birth center transfers. I've definitely healed a lot, but now wonder how I can trust any provider again, or myself...
#2 of 4 Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 PM

That sounds so similar to my story too.

Only midwife in town (pretty much in the country), homebirth, not a birth centre, DD turned posterior during labour (which I only figured out later) Laboured for ages, felt like one never-ending contraction, midwife very unsupportive, got cervical lip ( my midwife didn't even bother to try to push it out of the way) finally transferred to hospital when midwife got impatient. Probably would have ended up with a C-section but they wanted to really *punish* me so I had an episiotomy and high forceps delivery with no pain meds at all.

It frustrates me so much, because looking back on it I probably just needed more time and useful support. But I didn't know what was going on at the time - I was in so much pain I actually couldn't speak.

I'm so sorry that you went through all that.

It seems that so many of the traumatic births I read about involve posterior presentation. Which is strange given that it's a pretty common phenomenon these days that more 'care providers' aren't better informed about how to help a mom to deal with it, and to have the patience to wait it out.

Oh, and congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope that you have a lovely healing birth :

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#3 of 4 Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Banned

My jaw honestly dropped and my eyebrows shot up reading what your midwife did to you. I'm so sorry
#4 of 4 Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnAir View Post
That sounds so similar to my story too.

Only midwife in town (pretty much in the country), homebirth, not a birth centre, DD turned posterior during labour (which I only figured out later) Laboured for ages, felt like one never-ending contraction, midwife very unsupportive, got cervical lip ( my midwife didn't even bother to try to push it out of the way) finally transferred to hospital when midwife got impatient. Probably would have ended up with a C-section but they wanted to really *punish* me so I had an episiotomy and high forceps delivery with no pain meds at all.

It frustrates me so much, because looking back on it I probably just needed more time and useful support. But I didn't know what was going on at the time - I was in so much pain I actually couldn't speak.

I'm so sorry that you went through all that.

It seems that so many of the traumatic births I read about involve posterior presentation. Which is strange given that it's a pretty common phenomenon these days that more 'care providers' aren't better informed about how to help a mom to deal with it, and to have the patience to wait it out.

Oh, and congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope that you have a lovely healing birth :
I can't even think of what to say. That's just horrible.

Thanks for your thoughts...you and everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page