Anyone else ever experienced pelvic separation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a vbac 2.5 wks ago and am so happy to have achieved this! It was wonderful to hold my DS immediately and enjoy a turkey sandwich with milk, avoiding all things that go along with major surgery, including the incision!

However, I experienced some pelvic separation that my OB said was "exaggerated" (beyond the norm), though it's not really considered a normal thing to happen. I think I might have had some slight SPD going on in the last months before birth. Anyway, I also had a stretched femoral nerve that is now much better. The pelvic separation still causes me a lot of pain. Have any of you had this happen to you and how long did it take to get back to normal?

I can't sleep on either side as it makes my pelvis sore almost immediately in certain places (the pubic symphysis and the pelvic areas just inside the top of my thighs). I can't even sit with my pelvis uneven (tilted to one side)! I have to sit up straight or lie flat on my back or stomach in bed! This makes side-lying nursing impossible, so I have to sit up every time. : I've been told it can take a long time for my pelvis to "lock back in."

Is there anything at all I can do?

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM

I would strongly suggest that you see a chiropractor who has worked with this in the past. I have seen it be enormously helpful to several women experiencing what you are. One of them could not walk for some weeks after birth (after a very painful pregnancy to begin with) and then used a walker for months. Between pregnancies, she discovered chiropractic and exercises to do--2nd pregnancy was much less painful, and then she was about and about immediately afterward and ecstatic about it. She saw a chiro about 1/2 dozen times during 2nd half of pregnancy--don't know if she went back after that 2nd baby, didn't seem to me that it was needed from what she reported.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I don't think we have any chiro's in the area that specialize in pregnancy or related issues and wonder how to go about finding one? I'm sure my OB would give me a referral if I could find one.

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 PM

someone in your local ICAN or LLL chapter might be able to help you find a chiro that can help you. I've had the pubic symphesis thing in each of my pregnancies, starting earlier and earlier every time, and finally saw a chiro last time around. it was such a help.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
Old 04-25-2009, 01:27 AM

You don't necessarily need a chiro who 'specializes' in pregnancy--just one who has some training in it, and who has some experience already. Many chiropractors, in my experience, do have that training and offer services for pregnant/postpartum women. I'd just ask around--and even go to your yellow pages locally, and start calling. I did that a year or so ago, when I was looking for one to recommend to my clients in a particular town--found a few that worked out. I just asked--did s/he have training in working with pregnancy and post partum pelvic issues? If so, did s/he work much with this population?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 AM

I had this with my last birth and I think it took about a month for the pain to subside. I will definitely be looking for a chiro this time around!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM

I had awful SPD with my first pregnancy, tried a chiro with my second who made it *worse* , and then had great success with this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelv...1577551&sr=8-1
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 AM

I actually had this during my birth 4/18/09

I pushed for 3 hours.

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 PM

If you can't find a chiropractor look for a doctor of osteopathic medicine that performs osteopathic manipulative therapy. It is the only thing that helped me through three pregnancies. You'll start to feel better almost immediately - especially if they can teach you a few exercises to do every day at home to help your pelvis stay in alignment.

Best wishes!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice! I haven't been to a chiro yet, and am wondering if there's a way to find out what these "exercises" are that help keep the pelvis in alignment without paying for an office visit? I'm 5.5 weeks out and still in as much pain as I was right after the birth!

User Tag List