Trying To Suck It Up - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am the worse friend and person ever today.

My best friend just had her first baby a few hours ago and I am just sitting here trying not to think about it at all and avoiding the calls coming in. I didn't think I'd have this reaction but when her father called to tell me she was in labor this morning (he spoke with DH) and DH relayed it to me I just wanted to cover my ears and go "lalalalalalala". I know when she gets ahold of me she is going to want to talk about it and I know that as her friend I need to sit there and listen and be receptive so I am really trying to suck it up here but all I want to do is go into my closet and hide.

What the hell is wrong with me? Seriously??!! Am I 5?

Any thoughts on this? How can I make this better?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 PM

I had a similar situation and I told my friend I just wasn't ready to be a supportive, loving ear just then. I let her know I was thrilled for her and I would let her know when Iw as ready to hear the birth story. I did avoid her and her baby for a few weeks so she could get the story out to others so I didn't end up being "vomited" on.

hope she is able to understand.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Maybe a note saying what the pp said. Be honest that you are not capable right now to be there for her.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with her and we had a really nice conversation. She is still trying to process everything (my assessment) so we talked about the birth a little in general terms and about breastfeeding. All in all it was fine and I'm glad I called but I'm also glad I waited until I had psyched myself into it.

Thanks so much for understanding!!!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

User Tag List