A couple of specific questions about POP. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just can't read all of that big long thread.

My newest baby was born 2 weeks ago tomorrow in a ridiculously fast homebirth, nearly UC'd, but instead of pushing the baby out, I panted and blew for more than half an hour with her crowning. This was probably a big mistake. When the midwife got there, my 11 lb 14 oz babe was born in 3 pushes. It was delightful and perfect as births go, but now I'm having some issues.

I didn't tear at all (shock!), but I do have a cystocele, about the size of a large grape, and now that I worked up the courage to further investigate in there, I find that my cervix is pretty low, too. I don't know if it's too soon to worry about a uterine prolapse, I know I need to take a deep breath and realize that I'm still very freshly postpartum, but I have this overwhelming feeling of having ruined my body.

I'm a paramedic, and I really don't want to have to quit doing my job forever (I already don't work at all when I'm pg or nursing, which has been the majority of the past 6 years). I *need* to be able to do heavy lifting. I don't want to be all washed up and done with life at 30. Maybe I'm just hormonal about this stuff right now, but it all seems so dramatic and overwhelming.

Also, and this is completely TMI, but that's where I am right now: am I going to be able to have sex? I would have already if it weren't for these issues, but I'm nervous and don't want to further ruin things down below.

I have an appointment with my midwife later this week, and I'm sure we'll talk about all of these things, but I'm impatient. I need to decide whether to go to the MW's backup doctor, my former OB, or to seek out a uro-gyn for whenever it *is* time to deal with this stuff.

Meanwhile I wait and stew on things. Thank you for any insight you might have for me.

Dana, wife to Marc, mama to Amanda - 12/5/02, Bethany - 6/2/04, Christina - 3/17/06, Daniel - 5/7/07 and Elizabeth 6/1/09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 AM

Hang in there, it's way too early to be thinking about permanent damage. It's normal for everything to be swollen and still a tad 'out of place' at two weeks post partum.
I'm sure your midwife will reassure you when you see her later this week.

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
Old 06-18-2009, 03:53 PM

I agree it is really early to be worried. I've had POP after both of my births, and let me say that two weeks postpartum looked nothing like 6 weeks or 12 weeks, you know? If I'd gone by the size of my rectocele at 2 weeks PP with DD, I'd expect to have to carry it around in a sling under my bum at this point. But really it's well healed now and it's only rarely even noticeable. I think I hear some of your postpartum hormones in your post - I hope you're feeling better about things now.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
I agree it is really early to be worried. I've had POP after both of my births, and let me say that two weeks postpartum looked nothing like 6 weeks or 12 weeks, you know? If I'd gone by the size of my rectocele at 2 weeks PP with DD, I'd expect to have to carry it around in a sling under my bum at this point. But really it's well healed now and it's only rarely even noticeable. I think I hear some of your postpartum hormones in your post - I hope you're feeling better about things now.
I'm feeling better, but still irrationally worried. That was an exceptionally tactful way to point out that the hormones are running the show.

Thanks. I'm going to the mw today, I'm sure she'll have something reassuring to tell me, too.

Dana, wife to Marc, mama to Amanda - 12/5/02, Bethany - 6/2/04, Christina - 3/17/06, Daniel - 5/7/07 and Elizabeth 6/1/09.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckidsmom View Post
I'm feeling better, but still irrationally worried. That was an exceptionally tactful way to point out that the hormones are running the show.
Hey, I try. KUP.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)

User Tag List