Rectocele remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-24-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am slowly making my way through 47+ pages of the POP support thread, but I would be really grateful if anyone could share any helpful hints for rectoceles exercises. Diet, supplements, splinting etc is all covered....I am hoping for some specific movements or exercises that people have found helpful. Kegaling on your back, your head, whatever has worked. Please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-24-2009, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

18 views and no ideas? Honestly, just really needing some specific exercises / kegals that might help. How on earth do you strengthen the fascia that supports the rectum or the posterior vaginal wall?!
#3 of 7 Old 11-24-2009, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think women are struggling with this because the entire paradigm of "strengthening" endopelvic fascia and connective tissue is misconceived. These are very soft structures - in fact, the entire pelvic interior is rather like a bowl of jello. How would you change the shape of a bowl of jello? You would tip the outer vessel in the direction you wanted it to go and the shear weight of the jello itself would shift its positioning. It is no different with the vagina and pelvic organs. Natural pelvic organ support is a matter of gravity, a tightly closed vaginal space - which has little to do with pelvic floor muscles, the shape of the outer framework from which the organs are suspended, and the weight of the organs themselves. Stopping all straining against toilet seats is a must. Rectocele can be tough, but definitely responsive to natural postural work. Repetitive, supine kegels aggravate rectocele. Learn more at wholewoman.com.

Moonspinner
#4 of 7 Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent, thanks moonspinner! Really appreciate the jello analogy I am spending heaps of time at wholewoman and definitely agree with the postural ideas. I do think that since everything in the pelvis is connected, in one way or another through one form of tissue or another, there might be some ways to redistribute the weight of the 'jello' to change the dynamics in there and hopefully give something like a recotcele a little relief. The advice about avoiding supine kegels is exactly what I am looking for. What is the reasoning behind this? It seems like supine kegels might encourage the bulge *back* towards the rectum rather than up (against gravity) towards the vagina? Just thinking out loud here...
#5 of 7 Old 11-28-2009, 08:44 PM

I have had success with a dose of homeopathic Sepia in 30c potency. One dose lasts a month. It has helped with muscle tone in the perineum area as well as abdomen. It is also very commonly needed in postpartum breastfeeding women - overtired mamas who feel the need to be 'left alone' or 'get away' at times.
kind regards,

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#6 of 7 Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 PM

reviving this thread...I have the same problem and am looking at surgery...what else can be done?

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#7 of 7 Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM

I have had rectocele since DD was born in Oct of 2009.  It has gotten better over time.  I splint, try to remember to do kegels.  I brace myself before sneezing and am careful while lifting.  It hasn't really bothered me much since DD was about 6 mos old, but from time to time it would.  Starting this January, I got serious about running and started barefoot running which is good for your posture.  At the same time, i started doing Peggy Brill's "The Core Program" which is just for women, making sure to include kegels with every work out have been surprised at how  strong the tissues between the vag and anus have gotten.  I started this regimen for overall health and to try and stabilize my lower back/SI joint (hoping to cut down on the chiro bill!) but most definitely welcome the changes down below! 

HTH!

User Tag List