Mothering Forum banner

Maybe I do need counseling

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Barefoot~Baker 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about it now. I cannot even read birth stories anymore. A friend just had a baby and when I started reading her birth story, I tensed up, held my breath, and felt panicked. A couple of times I ventured into Birth and Beyond only to have the same thing happen. My doula emailed me info on the hospital that I had my c-section in, asking me to write a letter because of some issues that they are having, and I can't even deal with it. I had to skim the email.

I don't feel that I have to urgently get help, but, I guess I should probably do so soon.

#2 ·
I think that's a good idea. There are parts of DS's birth that still haunt me and I think it would have been helpful for me to seek some counseling over it (also ds having health problems increased all the anxiety). Does your doula have any recommendations for a good therapist?

#3 ·
Counseling can be GREAT! Especially if you find the right counselor. I have been twice in my life: the first time was helpful but not nearly as much as the second time - and actually the second time was with a male counselor, so you'd think it would be the other way around, with my being a woman. But not so.

I would certainly recommend it. Afterward you feel very "taken apart" and it's kind of like having the filing cabinet in your head tipped over, and all the papers tipped out - then afterward you job is to put them back in the correct order instead of in the crazy mess they were in before counseling.

All in all it's a good idea - just plain good. Helped me enormously, and hopefully it will help you as well!

*HUGE hugs* mama - don't be afraid! XxXxX

#4 ·
I came to the same realization this weekend.
I have been having very intense flashbacks that leave me unable to breathe and very panicked. I cannot read birthstories and will not engage pregnant co-workers in any discussion about their impending birth.

I have been having panic attacks lately about the kids too. Like, a week ago I had to get out of bed in the middle of the night to make sure my toddler was still breathing. I was convinced we were all dying from carbonmonoxide poisoning. Similary incidents have been happening a lot recently. It is really hard for me to admit I need help though always has been.

#5 ·
Counseling is a good thing. I had just crammed down a bunch of stuff about my birth in the name of "I'm not having any more kids, so I don't have to ever deal with this again anyway." Turns out I'm having another, and it forced me to face my traumas. It's worth facing.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
I think that's a good idea. There are parts of DS's birth that still haunt me and I think it would have been helpful for me to seek some counseling over it (also ds having health problems increased all the anxiety). Does your doula have any recommendations for a good therapist?
Thanks for the support everyone. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow afternoon and I'm going to email my doula today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.