retained placenta, infections, hemorrhaging @ 2 weeks PP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last Thursday was a scary day.

I had been recovering beautifully after deliver our precious little girl on January 8th. Feeling great, bleeding was slowing right down, no pains, etc.
Thursday I started cramping a bit- passed it off. Until I stood up after dinner, felt the urge too push & out came a tennis ball sized chunk of placenta.

After being rushed to the ER my bleeding slowed down, they ordered an u/s for the next day at 1pm.

1pm (Friday) I get my ultrasound. Sat in the ER waiting for the results for 6 HOURS. That's the ONLY bad thing I have to say about this hospital (which was NOT the one I had delivered at BTW.)

In walks my angel doctor. I honestly can say I would marry this man if I wasn't already married to my soulmate. I will remember him forever and start crying everytime I think about him and how well he took care of me.

To make it short. Between Friday night & yesterday night (Tuesday) when I finally walked back into my house for the first time in days I literally thought I reached the end of my road.

I was rushed for a D&C because of an excessive amount of "matter" still inside my uterus. At 8:30 I came out of the surgery, started cramping & bleeding excessively - dropping clots around 1AM and put on I don't even know how many kinds of meds to stop the bleeding (er, slow it more like it) until they could get things figured out again.

I don't remember a lot of Saturday. The afternoon came and I was all of a sudden rushed for another ultrasound, xray and then straight to the OR - I remember signing a consent for a hysterectomy 'if need be' (it was NOT his first choice - he really didn't want to do it.)

After all was said and done they didn't do the hyst - they inserted a balloon into my uterus to put pressure on the infected area where the placenta had been in the hopes of clotting it - my uterus had turned to mush, didn't know what to do anymore. I was still bleeding - during that surgery they had removed 2 LITRES of blood from me and this was on top of all the other blood loss. I thought I would never be heading home to my babes.

I was given 6 pints of blood over the next 2 days. Another surgery (and another consent signed for a hysterectomy in case it was needed) to removed the balloon. Bedrest for 2 days.

If you've read this far I thank you more then you'll ever know.

My big question is...

I'm home now. How do I deal with this? He's given me his personal cell phone number with *strict* instructions to call him if I have any, any concerns... I'm so happy to be home with my family but I'm not enjoying being home. I gaze at my little bundle of joy and feel overwhelming love for her but I'm afraid to move off the couch, I'm afraid to cough.

I'm bleeding "scantly" as he & my mom described. When I left yesterday I was barely bleeding but woke up today with a bit more and was freaking out - I couldn't control myself and ended up calling him. He reassured me and said he'd call back at the end of the day. He did - said he'd meet me at the ER to check me but right then I knew I was ok "for now"...

Please some - emotionally I can't do this. I go pee every 20 mins to check my pad. (which btw wasn't even full from lunch til dinner - very light but red.)

Mama to 2 little men (2004 & 2005) and a little lady who just arrived january 8th
Always remembering our little angels up above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Perpetually exhausted single mother by choice to one little girl (2/06)
#3 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 03:36 PM

You just go ahead and stay on that couch! You will need TIME to recover from what was not only very scary, but also somewhat physically traumatizing. Remember that even though our bodies are amazingly made and can heal from much by way of injury and illness, there is a very real sense of vulnerability and fragility that can follow such events as you have just been through. It is a very much physical vulnerability, not just about emotions. Your body needs time to heal and recover, just as your mind does--so give yourself that time generously. As days pass and your bleeding remains 'normal', your angst about your condition will begin to fade some--and also, with good tender care your body will get past it's sense of invasion and trauma, begin to heal and feel it's strength again. No need to worry about calling your doc--bless him for giving you full access to him!

Let yourself rest, and let your feelings be what they are--it all sounds normal to me. In time, the body will heal and regain it's strength, and your emotions will settle again.
#4 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Yikes, I had to have a D&C for placental fragments after my first baby and I might be in the same situation again for my third (born last week). I was in the hospital on Sat with bleeding and pieces of membrane, but they wouldn't do an ultrasound because the OB on call determined (through a Physican's Assistant) that I was stable and that I could wait to see my midwife, in other words, he didn't want to do the D&C. Anyway, I too have been freaking out everytime my I have red blood (of course, I did not have to deal with the crazy surgeries and threatened hysterectomies) but I think it sounds like you're going to be okay. I don't think the doctor would have let you go home if you weren't stable and since you no longer have fragments, you should be fine. I'm sorry you've had so much to deal with, but please just rest and let your uterus heal. Sending you love and healing prayers!

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#5 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 PM

That sounds so scary! I am so sorry.

Please be gentle with yourself with this recovery. You don't *need* to be Just Fine for a while. You've been through so much.

s

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#6 of 6 Old 02-03-2010, 03:34 AM

Just wanted to say Get Well Soon and give you a hug! You are strong and will heal beautifully.

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page