My birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Overall the birth of my daughter was a nightmare....literally I've had nightmares from it. My problems can be related to a procedure the doc. did and I have strong suspicions that the dr. did this procedure merely to get me out of the hospital room 10 min's faster.

I know it's long but I could really use the moral support and helpful comments.

So here's what happened.

I arrived at the hospital well on my way into labor with my second. I had just spent the entire night up with contractions and now at 3 in the afternoon was in dire need of some much needed sleep. I'm really not a pain medicine type person but requested some pain meds just so I could get some sleep. I was still woozy and not really coherent when my doc came in and wanted to examine me. Without saying anything to me or my DH he broke my water knowing full well that I did not want that to be done. There was no reason for this my contractions were gradually picking up and getting stronger and more frequent on their own. After that the contractions were excruciating.

Irregardless of me telling the nurses that the baby was on it's way I was ignored and dd was halfway born before anyone finally got to the room(which was only 13 minutes after telling the nurse she was on her way). My doc really only delivered her hips and feet. They let me have my baby for about 45 sec's before the doc told me he had to "examine me for uterine tears". Hubby and I had never heard of this and we thought something was wrong and that is why doc. felt the need to do this. There was really no blood or anything to make him think a uterine tear had occurred, in fact I hadn't torn at all during the delivery.

The doc ended up inserting his hand through my cervix up into my uterus. Up until this point I felt fine, actually I felt pretty great. I was simply numb down there. But when he went to do this I felt like someone was sticking a hot iron rod through me and I was burning from the inside out. Honestly through the broken back and raging kidney infection that almost killed me that I had experienced in the past this didn't compare at all. The doc scooped out my uterus, took out my placenta and boy oh boy was I bleeding then.

It's been about 10 months since dd birth and since then I've had nightmares about being rapped by my doc's arm and the nurses holding down my legs and not letting me move. Up until now I've merely thought that while his reasoning behind the procedure didn't add up that it was a necessary procedure because something must have been wrong that I wasn't aware of then and I've brushed these thoughts and nightmares aside.

Recently though I found out the real reason for the procedure.

I was talking with my friend a few months ago she had just delivered a baby at the same hospital...Needless to say a different doc then my own (but at the same practice as there is only one practice in the area) performed the same procedure on her but told her he had to do it to remove the placenta. This was 5 minutes after she gave birth.

What happened to me makes a lot more sense now. He did take the placenta out and it did feel like he was scooping out my uterus. This makes me really really MAD!!!! They put me (us) through this incredibly horrible procedure just because they wanted to clear the room out 10 minutes faster.

I looked up information on the procedures to removing a retained placenta and yup it's the same thing. Only it's considered an "only do it if you must type procedure". Doc's are supposed to wait at least 45 min's before doing this procedure, and are instructed to try nipple stimulation, nursing and uterine massage before resorting to this procedure. AND IT'S DONE UNDER GENERAL ANESTHETIC OR EPIDURAL TO RELIEVE PAIN. I had no such thing. This is archaic that they would put a women through this who just delivered a baby. Honest to God that was the most painful thing I've ever been through in my entire life my pain tolerance is VERY high as well. If it says anything I broke my back and didn't take any type of pain meds for it.

I feel so violated right now.....I feel like I was completely taken advantage of. My doctor who is supposed to have my best interests at heart clearly did not have them at heart at all. Not only did he put me through an incredibly painful procedure without the proper pain management but the procedure was UNNECESSARY. I feel like I have been raped.

Right now I have a judge friend tell me that while it will probably go nowhere because this "doc" will hide behind his med license, that I should file criminal assault charges against him. On one hand I would love to do this and was moving in this direction for the past 2 months or so but I'm not sure if I have the emotional stamina to go through all of that. I'm considering setting up an appt with this "doc" and basically telling him that I know that he lied to me and how much harm this has caused me (I have PTSD) and my family. Basically I want to knock his ego down a few pegs and make him think twice before he does such a selfish thing again. Maybe I won't accomplish that but I think it may make me feel better then going through the legal system that will probably get me nowhere. Which avenue would you ladies go through?

I know my story is not one iota as bad as some of the ones the Mama's on this board have experienced. But it's been driving me crazy and talking about it does help. (yes I'm getting counseling fyi) So while it may not be the most horrible thing you've ever heard thanks for listening. ((((((Hugs)))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my gosh. That is awful. I'm so sorry.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 AM

Yowza!! That is beyond horrible. Frankly I think you should sue the hospital and the Ob. For real. It might make them think twice before doing that to someone else.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I am so sorry you had to endure that, mama!!

Sue them til their eyeballs bleed! Yeah, yeah torte reform and all that, but he should be arrested for criminal assault, and as that will never happen, he needs to suffer some sanctions and never, ever be able to do that to another woman. Ever.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

User Tag List