Was my c-section necessary? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first post to the mothering forums. I am recovering from an unplanned c-section four months ago for my first child. I am still battling the the disappointment/anger/regrets. I have yet to complete the birth story of my first child, which I know is an important part to recovery, and I want to keep this post short. But I am battling with that fundamental question of whether my c/s was really necessary or not. Today I got copies of the labor and delivery notes from the hospital, and now I am really am thinking....if I could have just moved, if I could have just had more time....Here are the bare facts:

7:30pm -- Water breaks
10:00pm -- Contractions start, about 15 mins apart
3:00 am -- Contractions 5-6 mins apart, lasting 45-60 seconds
6:00 am -- Contractions 3 mins apart, lasting 60 seconds
7:30 am -- At the hospital, contractions now irregular 5-6 mins apart and then 2 mins apart
Dilated 4-5cm according to the doctor at the time (but now see that his notes say 2-3cm)

Despite approved birth plan, I am told I can not leave the bed, not even to use the restroom, had constant fetal monitoring
Around noon, dilated 5cm, pitocin and epidural started (I have a lot to write about all this, but that is for another time)

1:30 pm -- Nurse puts me on oxygen, saying the fetal heart rate is dropping some, but she says not to worry because his variability is good and that that is what matters most

2:40 -- Dilation: nurse says 7cm, doctor says 5-6cm. Because of the slow progress and the baby showing signs of distress, he says it is time for a c/s.

When I agreed to the c/s, I assumed that there was a change in the variability and other monitored sign.

So now I get the hospital's summary which states: "By the afternoon, she was still only 5 to 6cm and was starting to have intermittent late fetal heart rate decelerations with good recovery and good long-term variability. At this point, the decision was made to proceed with operative delivery."

I really do not know much about the monitored signs, but to me this sounds like performing the c/s was NOT necessary at that time.

What do y'all think?

Any input is much appreciated.
#2 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I could tell you the answer. I am in a similar situaiton 6 months out. I just wanted to comment on your bravery in posting-- I have thought about posting a similar thread, but have never found the courage.

Hugs.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 04:11 PM

getreadyready, not to minimize your questions, but does it really matter? Is it going to help you get through the disappointment to think it was or wasn't necessary?

It took me about a year to get through my disappointment over my c-section. I have to tell you, you might never get the answers you're looking for. How will you ever *really* know?

For me, a good start was focusing on the specific things I was feeling and acknowledging that those feelings are really valid.

1. Disappointment in my body.
2. Disappointment that I wasn't able to give my baby a more peaceful birth.
3. Anger that my baby was taken from me for 3 hours while I was being "monitored."
4. The fear. Overwhelming fear that I was not in control. Fear that I didn't hear my baby cry right away. Fear for future pregnancies.
5. Guilt that I did or didn't do something that caused my c-section.

Of course your stuff is going to be different, but for me, the path to healing started with acknowledging all of those emotions. Anyway, I know that's not the question you asked, but there's my two cents.

And BTW, congrats on your new baby!

#4 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 04:46 PM

I would think it matters. But I have not had a c-section. But I think it's wrong to say it doesn't matter. It matters on many accounts.

OP, of course none of us can really say whether it was necessary or not. However, I did not read anything that made me think it was necessary. I think that your birth could have been handled differently and without the need for cesearan.

I had a home birth. My water broke around 3am on a Saturday. I had my baby at 6pm on Monday. I pushed for 6 hours. Baby and I were fine. The midwife listened to the baby's heartbeat from time to time, and I had full freedom of movement. I was tired and such but not afraid at any time. Baby was born fully alert, apgars 9 and 10, so she was obviously not in distress. I am certain my birth would have ended in a cesearean in a hospital, but I know my birth went just fine without surgery.

I am sorry you did not get the birth you wanted, and I think you have every right to your feelings. Please feel free to work them out on this forum. A healthy baby may be the most important thing, but it's not the ONLY important thing. There is a reason that women are part of a tide of discontent in this country, as there really is something wrong with the medical maternity model.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#5 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 PM

I agree that it matters. A lot. I know my c/s was unnecessary. That evil lying OB thinks it was necessary. So I guess it depends on who you ask and what you believe.

Obviously, I still have a lot of anger. I am a little angry at myself, although I have forgiven me. I will not forgive the OB or the state of obstetrics in America today. Their interventions cause the need for surgery.

My story is similar enough to yours. My HBAC almost 2 years afterwards helped a lot with the healing... not sure if that is an option for you.

The American c/s rate is between 30-40%. About 5% are medically necessary. You might never know which category you fall into. We have a far worse mother/infant mortality rate than any other developed countries. It is horrid and unbelievable.

Reading books and these forums helped me a lot. I tried the ICAN forums, but it is wicked confusing and overwhelming.

I haven't written my first birth story either. I don't really want to put it in writing and have my son read about all my anger surrounding his birth. He is wonderful and healthy and smart and caring.

Take care mama.
#6 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
l
#7 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It matters. It's the difference between having made the choice to suffer through a necessary surgery to save your son's life, and being duped by a scalpel happy OB.

I don't understand how it doesn't matter.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#8 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Just edited my original post because I left out a really important word. Originally, I said:

"to me this sounds like performing the c/s was necessary at that time"

Is that Freudian slip? I wish I felt that way...

I meant that I think it was NOT necessary.
----------

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far. I really appreciate it.

I do understand what justKate is saying in a way. Yes, the question is important, but it is just the beginning. It is the original question, the one that leads to all others, starts the process of working through it all. But the answer is never really known; for many, at least for me, I imagine, there will always be a fuziness.

I do not think my c/s was medically necessary at the moment my OB talked me into it (although at the time I did). However, I will never know if I went on laboring if I would have avoided one altogether. I simply wish now that I labored longer and got to the point where if there was a c/s, I would be feeling more confident in its necessity.

For me, asking if my c/s was necessary, is the question that lead me to these forums, guided me to ask for my medical records, and is the first step to healing. For a few months I tried not to ask the question, to discount the question, asking if it really matters, to just move on...but asking the question, at least for me, has been the next step in moving on.
#9 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Late decels are a sign on foetal distress but, without seeing your trace, I can't say how distressed your baby seemed.

The things which stand out to me more are the complete bed rest and continuous monitoring. Do you know what the rationale for those things were? As others have said, it is impossible to know but if I had to guess I would say that they contributed more to the slower progress which lead to the less reassuring CTG.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
It matters. It's the difference between having made the choice to suffer through a necessary surgery to save your son's life, and being duped by a scalpel happy OB.

I don't understand how it doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreadyready View Post
I do understand what justKate is saying in a way. Yes, the question is important, but it is just the beginning. It is the original question, the one that leads to all others, starts the process of working through it all. But the answer is never really known; for many, at least for me, I imagine, there will always be a fuziness.

I do not think my c/s was medically necessary at the moment my OB talked me into it (although at the time I did). However, I will never know if I went on laboring if I would have avoided one altogether. I simply wish now that I labored longer and got to the point where if there was a c/s, I would be feeling more confident in its necessity.

For me, asking if my c/s was necessary, is the question that lead me to these forums, guided me to ask for my medical records, and is the first step to healing. For a few months I tried not to ask the question, to discount the question, asking if it really matters, to just move on...but asking the question, at least for me, has been the next step in moving on.
OP, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound crass. It does matter, but I was just trying to say (not very effectively) that both necessary (to save life) and unnecessary (the doc has a golf game scheduled for the next morning and rushes you) can be really traumatic for both mama and baby. So whether it was or wasn't, your feelings of trauma are still valid and need to be worked through.

The unnecessary vs. necessary question was too big for me, and I've decided that i'll never get an answer, so I tried to focus on managing the emotions that I could tackle. That's where I'm coming from. I didn't mean to minimize, and I agree that this is the starting point. I'm sorry that it came across that way.

I hope that you can get the answers that you're looking for so that you can start healing.

#11 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think everyone has to process traumatic events differently. I had a (very different) traumatic event in my life, and I definitely had to go through a period of asking why it happened. Asking why and exploring the alternatives to a choice it was too late to make allowed me to safely begin to express my feelings. Years later, why it happened is no longer important to me, but if I hadn't explored that at the time, I would not have healed.

Looking at your record, it doesn't seem very necessary. Just sounds like a typical slow first birth, compounded by not being able to move. My first labor was 26 hours with 3 hours of pushing - but I had a patient midwife who simply covered the clock and continued to support me. It sounds like you did have a cut-happy doctor and you simply reached the end of his/her patience.

This doesn't mean that you should blame yourself, though - the key for me in healing from my trauma was to simply accept and explore each feeling as it came, and try not to label it as good or bad.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#12 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM

For me, trying to figure out whether or not my c-section was "necessary" has been like falling down a bottomless pit of second guessing and self doubt, and like justKate, I've found it more healing to just focus on how to process things so that I can be more present with my life.

For me, I know that I'm not going to give birth again. So figuring out "what happened" isn't going to help me avoid mistakes a second time around. The question of "was it necessary?" inevitably leads me to "who should I blame?" and unfortunately, the answer I usually come up with is "me." That just isn't helpful to my healing, and so I try not to go there.

Of course, others will have other experiences and other reasons for needing to understand in great detail what happened, why it happened, how it could have been prevented, and how to move forward.

Everyone's healing journey is different. If seeking an answer to the question "was is necessary?" is helping you process your experience, get support, connect with others, etc, then go for it. Ultimately it may be less important to get a definitive answer than to take the next step of the journey.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#13 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 PM

When a doctor presents you with his/her opinion when you are in labor that you MUST have a c/s, it is mentally not possible to go through a total cost/benefit analysis at the time. When scary words are thrown about, when you are writhing in pain, forced to lie down or sit uncomfortably, and have people constantly poking and prodding you, it is very hard to judge the facts for their validity. If you feel like you were misled, then you were. I believe women have great intuition about their bodies. But again, when you are in such a vulnerable position, it is nearly impossible to convince anyone else of your capabilities or wants. Being angry at the OB and hospital staff is absolutely legitimate. But you shouldn't be angry at yourself that you couldn't see past the scary words thrown at you.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#14 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 PM

I think your first healing step came with getting your records. I did with my first but have yet to do with my second, and this thread reminds me I should.

Have you talked to the OB about her thoughts? Or about future births? That may give you some more information. With my first birth, my birth records recorded the reason for the c-section as "non-reassuring fetal status." Now, knowing more now, was there more I could have done to avoid that c-section? Sure. Would I change it now? Probably not.

When I discussed it with my OB after, she deemed me an ideal VBAC candidate. At my first appt for my next pregnancy, she told me that I could die in a VBAC attempt, she had to tell me, but that I would more likely get hit by a car and die in the parking lot than in a VBAC. That helped me realize she wasn't scalpel happy and that my case, though maybe not 100 percent necessary, was a case that somewhat necessitated a ceasarian delivery. I'd talk to your doc. At least then you'll know if you need to start looking for a new doc or midwife for next time.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#15 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 11:02 PM

I have to caution believing that records tell the whole story. Medical records vary in detail greatly and just because what was told to you was not written in the record does not mean that it was not the truth. When it comes to taking someone to court, if it isn't recorded it didn't happen, but we all know that real life and going to court aren't the same thing.

So ask yourself, if what you were told in the moment was true - do you feel like you made the best decision you could in the situation? Because that is what makes the section necessary or unnecessary.

If you feel lied to or bullied, I think that should be processed and considered separate from the decision to proceed with the section. If you did the best you could with the knowledge you had, you did the right thing. Don't beat yourself up about it.
#16 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

To answer katelove's question: The "rationale" for being bedridden was that my water had broken and that there was a risk of cord prolapse. (Since I couldn't get out of bed, I didn't even think about questioning the constant monitoring. Now I know better.)

Of course, my OB had approved the birth plan beforehand and said it was all good as long as there was nothing unusual. Heavens knows, having your water break during labor is not something I would consider unusual!

I now see how I should have questioned my OB a lot more as he read over the birth plan. He just said OK, its all good, as long as nothing is unusual. I should have said OK, good, but let's go one-by-one and you explain to me what are those circumstances that would prevent me from getting "my wishes."

Now the problem with the rationale being a risk of cord prolapse was my son's head was already engaged (+1 station). Unfortunately, I was too busy laboring to even think to argue.
#17 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreadyready View Post
To answer katelove's question: The "rationale" for being bedridden was that my water had broken and that there was a risk of cord prolapse. (Since I couldn't get out of bed, I didn't even think about questioning the constant monitoring. Now I know better.)

Of course, my OB had approved the birth plan beforehand and said it was all good as long as there was nothing unusual. Heavens knows, having your water break during labor is not something I would consider unusual!

I now see how I should have questioned my OB a lot more as he read over the birth plan. He just said OK, its all good, as long as nothing is unusual. I should have said OK, good, but let's go one-by-one and you explain to me what are those circumstances that would prevent me from getting "my wishes."

Now the problem with the rationale being a risk of cord prolapse was my son's head was already engaged (+1 station). Unfortunately, I was too busy laboring to even think to argue.
Wow. It sounds like the doctor or the hospital policies directly deceived you. You can't have a prolapse when the head is engaged. This kind of maternity care makes me so upset b/c they are lying to women when they are too vulnerable to defend themselves.

#18 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just my first post, and I already I feel so grateful for the support and feedback from y'all. Thanks so very much again.

I worried about posting to this forum since I do not know if I consider my c/s as "traumatic." I just didn't know where else to post. I definitely have some troubling, painful feelings about it, but when I read what others have experienced...my situation is truly small potatoes. (So if there is a better place for me to post about all this, please let me know.)

Earlier I had posted on another forum about my experience with self-hypnosis during labor and I wrote this:

Once at the hospital I think the hypnobirthing helped me to stay in a positive, truly joyful place...however, in my case, I think it also led me to be less resistant to the doctor and nurses. I was not in a place to argue with them. It did not even cross my mind to argue or fight for my birth plan. Every now and then I would bitch to my husband about something, but since I wasn't raising a raucous I guess he thought everything was alright. I was totally in the "go with the flow" zone, and while it felt good at the time, I am left baffled by how it didn't even cross my mind to argue.

Even when it crossed my mind that my doctor had already decided on c/s, that he really just wanted to wrap this up because it is Friday afternoon and not his weekend to work. Even then, it was like this thought zipped through my mind, but it did not stick. It didn't lead to action. I was just happily going with the flow.

However, I truly believe that with hypnnobirthing I was able to experience the true joy of the day without feeling traumatized about the c/s (that came later). Even after the surgery, I was telling everyone how good everything went, how it all made sense. I even was saying how glad I was that I got the epidural when I did.

[But now I regret it not just because it just took my one step closer to a c/s, but also because I asked for it just because they were augmenting with Pitocin. I always assumed that one goes with the other. I had yet to feel any real pain, I didn't need it. I had just heard so many nightmare stories about Pitocin. Now I know better. Now I hate that I cut short that awesome feeling of labor.]

So even with my day ending in a c/s, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that everything just flowed so smoothly. Which in the end is what I wanted, what I had visualized. So it was again very much a success in that way.

There is quite a discrepency in how I felt then and I how I feel now. But even after DS's birth, I still felt like everything was OK. Not so much now. Now I am feeling all jumbled up again. But in just opening myself up to writing about this, in this outpouring of words, I realized why my feelings of regret/anger are so strong now. This is what I wrote last night to a doula friend (only if she lived nearby!):

I have recently realized that this process of healing would be a lot quicker, with a lot less "mental anguish" if I just knew that my next pregnancy could be like any other pregnancy, that I didn't have to fight so hard for the chance for a VBAC.

After DS's birth, as I was thinking about what I could have done differently, and really feeling bad about not thinking to do things differently, really feeling the weight of the regrets, it did not take long for me to work through it...to realize that this was my first time laboring, that i had to be nice to myself (which really was a new thing for me to say to myself), to simply accept that mistakes were made, to learn from them and be better prepared for the next pregnancy.

But then after my OB said I would be "spinning my wheels" -- after hearing DH's "you got to just accept it" --- well, then those mistakes are suddenly not ones I can just learn from...those are mistakes that have (supposedly ) permanently changed my future, drastically limiting my options. That gives the sense of regret a whole new weight.

Now I am working to lift that weight off me. And this process is helping me to build up my strength for the fight ahead of me, to fight for the right to choose what happens during my next l&d, to fight for the chance to have a baby the way I want.
#19 of 25 Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(((HUGS))) btdt hun

with ds1, the csec was due to the cascade of interventions and i was too young and naiive to understand that. i was sectioned after 44 hours of labor, about 20 something on pit. ds had great strips, he wasnt in any distress at all, but i didnt get past 4cm, the OB threw in the towel.

i had 7.5 yrs between kiddos, so inthat time i became educated and planned a vbac. that didtn happen bc i got stuck with an on-call doc who i didnt know and he bascially said "vbac or baker act, take your pick". ds was never in distress.

so its easy for me to say that no, my csecs were NOT necessary. but then take my sister, a first timer who went to about 41 wks and went in for gel and then pit in the am. rock solid cervix, of course it wasnt gonna go right for her, but she didnt want to listen. the epidural knocked out her dd heartrate and her csec was a crash. so, was her csec necessary? yes, but only bc of what the doctor did to make it necessary.

in your case, i think it doesnt sound like anyones life was in immediate danger. sorry, sweetie. and yes, it DOES matter, bc it will have a huge impact on what choices you make for next time, esp wrt where you choose to birth, and whom you invite to be in attendance. GL!

Bring back the old MDC
#20 of 25 Old 06-14-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hello, everyone,

I originally posted this thread as getreadyready, I have since changed user name. I wanted to follow-up on my story since I now feel like I have all the information needed to confirm that my c/s was not necessary. It is of utmost importance to "prove" that this c/s was unnecessarily preemptive since DH is convinced that it was necessary, baby would be brain-damaged without it. He is now convinced that I can not birth a baby vaginally so any thoughts of a VBAC are insane. See here for those fun details.)

Well, I finally got a copy of the nurses notes. I was particularly interested in knowing the timeline between the Pitocin and the late decels.

First, it is interesting to note that both the dr.'s notes and the nurse's notes do not mention the second time the dr. visited, examined me and told me that Pitocin had to be started. The nurse's notes also do not include when she started the Pitocin, but they do include when I received my IV and epidural. What is up with that?!?!

Well, I still have the time for the Pitocin b/c I got it right before the epidural. (One of those "regrets": I foolishly thought that Pitocin contractions were going to be soooo bad that I shouldn't try to do it without an epidural --silly, silly me).

OK. So...

1:00pm -- Pitocin and then epidural started.

1:45pm -- Late decelerations noted. Oxygen applied.

2:15 -- Dr. notified of late decels with moderate variability and accels present. Dr. "states to leave pitocin on as long as var is good and accels are present but not to go up on it and he will be here shortly."

2:28 - Dr. states "that this baby is not coming out this way and with the late decels, we need to go ahead and do a c/section."

So I now know that when late decels appeared, not only should I had been given oxygen, but the nurse should have instructed me to lay on my left side and the Pitocin should have been turned off.

That is *unless* the late decels were not so concerning (since there were accels and good variability). It seems to me that the Dr. was not too worried since he ordered the Pit to stay on. Maybe he wanted to make sure there were still late decels going on when he was there to urge the c/s. Who knows...

But I now know that the Pit was not turned off. Other than applying oxygen and moving a little pillow behind my back, nothing else was done to try to troubleshoot the late decels.

Since I had come in with ROM, I think the Dr. had it in his mind that a c/s was going to happen no matter what. Based on the 24 hour deadline, I still had 5 more hours to go to try to get the baby out...but why wait, right? All I know is that the Dr. got lucky that day, I didn't argue and the c/s occurred before the end of the workday on Friday.

Having this information has taken me a few steps further in feeling like I can recover from this.

I am also glad I got the nurses notes b/c when I finally do have the energy to complain to the hospital about their policy of forcing birthing women with ROM to stay in bed and use bedpans, I have hard proof of how their blanket application of policies and their reasoning behind these policies can contradict the medical evidence in front of them.

The nurses notes clearly state that DS's head was engaged, and yet on the next page it states "PT asks about getting up and walking and I explained that we do not do this due to the possibility of the cord slipping down below the head and occluding the umbilical cord which would be an obstetrical emergency which would require a c/section."

To which I would now like to reply, "Your deceitful policy which prevents women from changing positions, emptying their bladders, and helping their babies descend naturally will also lead to c/section."

I also finally found out what DS's Apgar scores were: 9/9!

This again supports the fact that my baby was not as distressed as we were led to believe. Or maybe DS was to able to recover since they finally had to turn the Pit off to prep me for surgery.
#21 of 25 Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Wow. Those details really seem to lay the blame on the hospy and not on your body.

#22 of 25 Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM

I am glad you had the foresight to get the nurses notes! Good for you. I agree with your assessment, and most c/s occur M-F, with Friday by 5 being the usual cutoff time, unless it is a real emergency. I think he just wanted the weekend unencumbered. I don't think I would bother with writing a letter to the hospital, although it can't hurt. Their job isn't to please clients, or even reason with them. Thier job is to earn the most money for the shareholders of the hospital in the least amount of time, and incur the fewest lawsuits. If that means cutting someone open unnecessarily, so be it. Next baby, if your husband ever recovers) should be a homebirth if you can at all arrange it. A VBAC is virtually impossible in most hospitals nowadays. There are a few, rare(God bless them!) docs who really will help moms to birth vaginally after surgery, but they are hard to find. Most homebirth midwives do VBA2C, some do three....I am sorry you got worked over by your OB again.... PS, the pit and lack of movement to better positions I would guess is what caused the decels, probably a pinched cord, which is usually easily remedied...
#23 of 25 Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 PM

I just found a little gem in my hospital records (2.5 years later!): "Type: non-emergent".

Now, I asked DH, did you feel that what they were telling us was that we needed to get Aiden out because of fetal distress and that would be an "emergency"? He said, "yes". Then I showed him the document and the look on his face said it all. He has now said he feels we were lied to although he would still prefer a hospital VBAC. But he completely understands why I don't want to go into that lion's den again!

For me, knowing that the c-section was unnecessary helped me. I don't know why, but it did. Although, the exact "why" is not completely understood, I have learned to accept my c-section and the impact on my life. And some of those impacts have been positive, honestly. Maybe that is how I cope, but I do try to find how shitty things that happen to me make me a better person. Maybe that is the WAY too many years of therapy speaking

Good luck.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#24 of 25 Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 PM

I don't know about yours, but here's my story:

When my mother was in labor with my older brother, her first, she went to the hospital right away. After 12 hours of slow progression, they broke her water and started pitocin. They kept upping the pitocin until they did a C-section for distress. It was an emergency C, so a bad cut, and they didn't let her do a VBAC. So her C was "necessary" in that her baby was in distress, but would he have been in distress if they hadn't broken her water an dstarted pitocin?

Because of this, I stayed home with each of my labors until the very end. And am I glad I did! With DS1, I went into "labor" at 10 pm on Sunday. By 8 pm Monday, contractions were 3 minutes apart, 1.5 minutes long. My water broke 10 pm TUESDAY, and there was meconium, so I went to the hospital. I was 8 cm when I went in. I was still 8 cm at 2 am, when my midwife pushed me to take an epidural since I hadn't slept from Sunday and she was afraid I wouldn't be able to push. Being me, I insisted on reading the whole disclosure, but contractions were nearly continuous so it took nearly two hours -- by which time I'd started pushing so the question was moot.

With #2, I started having regular contractions maybe 9 pm on Friday. 10 am or so Saturday, I checked myself and I was 5 or 6 cm dilated. I went in to the hospital at 10:30 pm when I felt like I was going to die (transition) and gave birth at 11:30.

Because I had so little time from when transition started to when I gave birth with #2, DH and I felt like it would be prudent to go to the hospital earlier with #3. I was in active labor from Thursday mid-afternoon. I had talked with my doctors about coming in to the office to be checked in labor if I so wanted; they said fine originally, but when I called the office Friday morning they insisted I go to the hospital because it was clear to them from my voice (again, 1.5 minute contractions every 2-3 minutes) that I was in active labor. I refused, but I did check myself -- 6 cm, Friday 10 am.

I went in at 4 pm, and measured 7 cm. I told them I had a while to give birth because I knew I hadn't hit transition yet, but the doc and nurses rushed me to L&D expecting me to give birth in minutes, it seemed. At 7:35 I was just hitting transition when the doc checked me, still at 7 cm. She went into a whole long rant about how I had to submit ot interventions, I was going to have a C-section anyway, no one could stall that long and have labor start up again naturally. Mind you, there were zero indications of trouble, baby was doing just fine. I told her my first two births had also been long, stalled labors. She insisted that because in each case I didn't get to the hospital until 8 centimeters, I must have not been in active labor until then. Huh?

DH refused to let her bully me and lo and behold -- DS was born ON HIS OWN perfectly healthy with no interventions at 8:30.

Can you imagine what she would have done if I'd come in at 10 am when the practice had insisted and dilated only one centimeter between 10 am and 7 pm? Ther'es only so much bullying I can resist when I'm having constant, severe contractions. I have no doubt that had I been in the hospital from the morning this baby would have been a C.

The upside is that DH is now finally willing to pay out of pocket for a midwife for next time. He doesn't want to have to deal with that again.
#25 of 25 Old 06-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Oh, and one more thing.

She first checked me, said I hadn't progressed in 3.5 hours, and she needed to break my waters and/or pitocin to get things moving again. DH pressed her on why she needed to move along if baby wasn't in distress, and she added this little tidbit: She said my cervix was getting thicker, and if I didn't dilate soon I'd need a C-section for sure. She did not, however, record any thickening of the cervix, nor did she mention it until we pushed her.

I asked the head of the practice at my PP apt (which I refused to have with this doc as she was just plain obnoxious while we argued about interventions, rolling her eyes at the nurse, and the only thing she said to me when she came back in to catch the baby (which she barely did) was "don't yell at me!" when I reminded her not to tug on the cord) what that could have meant. He ssaid that when a cervix thickens later in labor, it often means there is cephalopelvic disproportion and that the mother will need a C-section. I asked why, in that case, intervention would help. He said it would not, but it would move up the timetable for the C-- if the doc thought I'd need a C anyway, she probably didn't want to wait until the middle of the night to do it.

So no medically principaled reason and I don't even believe that it was the case. And if she had mentioned CPD I would have laughed at her. This was, after all, my third baby, and the other two had been birthed in 10 and 5 minutes of pushing respectively despite #2 having a head in the 95th percentile. Just not credible. This baby, incidentally, was born in less than 3 minutes of pushing, which is why the doc ran in just as he was being born.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page