Was my c-section necessary? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-15-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first post to the mothering forums. I am recovering from an unplanned c-section four months ago for my first child. I am still battling the the disappointment/anger/regrets. I have yet to complete the birth story of my first child, which I know is an important part to recovery, and I want to keep this post short. But I am battling with that fundamental question of whether my c/s was really necessary or not. Today I got copies of the labor and delivery notes from the hospital, and now I am really am thinking....if I could have just moved, if I could have just had more time....Here are the bare facts:

7:30pm -- Water breaks
10:00pm -- Contractions start, about 15 mins apart
3:00 am -- Contractions 5-6 mins apart, lasting 45-60 seconds
6:00 am -- Contractions 3 mins apart, lasting 60 seconds
7:30 am -- At the hospital, contractions now irregular 5-6 mins apart and then 2 mins apart
Dilated 4-5cm according to the doctor at the time (but now see that his notes say 2-3cm)

Despite approved birth plan, I am told I can not leave the bed, not even to use the restroom, had constant fetal monitoring
Around noon, dilated 5cm, pitocin and epidural started (I have a lot to write about all this, but that is for another time)

1:30 pm -- Nurse puts me on oxygen, saying the fetal heart rate is dropping some, but she says not to worry because his variability is good and that that is what matters most

2:40 -- Dilation: nurse says 7cm, doctor says 5-6cm. Because of the slow progress and the baby showing signs of distress, he says it is time for a c/s.

When I agreed to the c/s, I assumed that there was a change in the variability and other monitored sign.

So now I get the hospital's summary which states: "By the afternoon, she was still only 5 to 6cm and was starting to have intermittent late fetal heart rate decelerations with good recovery and good long-term variability. At this point, the decision was made to proceed with operative delivery."

I really do not know much about the monitored signs, but to me this sounds like performing the c/s was necessary at that time.

What do y'all think?

Any input is much appreciated.
#2 of 4 Old 04-18-2010, 10:51 PM

hmmm.....i wish i could tell you. do you know anything about the fetal heart decels? i mean what could cause them? i think a lot of drs. and Mws get real nervous with those kinds of things but i don't know much about it.
#3 of 4 Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I managed to post my message twice, creating two different threads. Please see here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1215455
#4 of 4 Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

octobermoon, i think what led to the fetal heart decels was the pitocin and the epidural...also they had me bedridden and although not exactly flat on my back, pretty darn close to it. makes me so angry now to think about. angry at them. angry at me.

but feeling better now that I have allowed myself to be angry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page