anyone suffered Pre- E or HELLPS? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's hard when people give well-meaning advice about how to avoid eclampsia. Man, if it were as easy as a diet adjustment, NOBODY WOULD EVER HAVE ECLAMPSIA.

Ahem. I may be tetchy about this - I just met with a lactation consultant I otherwise really liked (and who was helpful for my nursing issue) but who also said "Wow, what do you think caused it?" when I was going through my medical history and mentioned my out-of-nowhere eclampsia and then suggested that I hadn't had a good enough diet during my pregnancy.

I otherwise love the Ina May birth books, but it bums me out that she repeats the old Br*wer diet saw and entrenches it more deeply in the minds of pregnant women - I myself accepted this idea without question until, after eating a high-quality, high-protein diet my entire pregnancy, I went into seizures and almost died. I'm not saying I never ate ice cream, but my diet was really pretty splendid. And I lived in Southern California and got lots of natural vitamin D and swam laps and did all the stuff that maybe helps. So who knows...

Anyway. The LC repeated the diet stuff back to me as known fact, and even when I pointed out that the women at The Farm have very low eclampsia rates, but eat a (as far as I know!) vegetarian diet, which makes me suspect that most of them don't hit the high protein levels espoused by Br*wer, she just looked perplexed.

I am a huge science nerd and am normally able to shrug this stuff off, but it's still a drag. If there was ANYTHING I could have done that would have enabled me to have a homebirth instead of almost dying at 33 weeks and giving birth while under general anesthesia to a baby who weighed less than four pounds, I would have done it.

Blah!

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
It's hard when people give well-meaning advice about how to avoid eclampsia. Man, if it were as easy as a diet adjustment, NOBODY WOULD EVER HAVE ECLAMPSIA.

Ahem. I may be tetchy about this - I just met with a lactation consultant I otherwise really liked (and who was helpful for my nursing issue) but who also said "Wow, what do you think caused it?" when I was going through my medical history and mentioned my out-of-nowhere eclampsia and then suggested that I hadn't had a good enough diet during my pregnancy.

I otherwise love the Ina May birth books, but it bums me out that she repeats the old Br*wer diet saw and entrenches it more deeply in the minds of pregnant women - I myself accepted this idea without question until, after eating a high-quality, high-protein diet my entire pregnancy, I went into seizures and almost died. I'm not saying I never ate ice cream, but my diet was really pretty splendid. And I lived in Southern California and got lots of natural vitamin D and swam laps and did all the stuff that maybe helps. So who knows...

Anyway. The LC repeated the diet stuff back to me as known fact, and even when I pointed out that the women at The Farm have very low eclampsia rates, but eat a (as far as I know!) vegetarian diet, which makes me suspect that most of them don't hit the high protein levels espoused by Br*wer, she just looked perplexed.

I am a huge science nerd and am normally able to shrug this stuff off, but it's still a drag. If there was ANYTHING I could have done that would have enabled me to have a homebirth instead of almost dying at 33 weeks and giving birth while under general anesthesia to a baby who weighed less than four pounds, I would have done it.

Blah!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Blah!
VERY well said!!!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had severe HELLP with my first child. I was 21. I almost died and it was the most severe case they had seen at that hospital. I went from fine to deathly ill in less than a week. I had an emergency c-section at 34 weeks because of it. I went on to have two more children. My 2nd was born at 39.5 weeks, no HELLP at all. She was born when I was 23. When I was 26 I had my 3rd child. I started to develop HELLP again and she was born at 36 weeks before it got too severe. After developing it a second time I was told that it would be dangerous for me to conceive again so we decided to stop. Now that the kids are older (almost 5, almost 8, and almost 10) I don't really have any trauma surrounding the births but I just thought I would share my experience.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
If there was ANYTHING I could have done that would have enabled me to have a homebirth instead of almost dying at 33 weeks and giving birth while under general anesthesia to a baby who weighed less than four pounds, I would have done it.

Blah!
YEAH, especially to this part!!! when people say "what do you think caused it?!" can they really mean anything other than "what do you think YOU DID/DIDN'T DO that caused it?!" i'll join the tetchy parade anytime

heavenly, .

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 AM

right before my homebirth midwife sent me to the hospital with my 24-hour urine sample, she said, "i want to talk about your diet when we meet again." i was admitted to the hospital and had a c-section 8 days later at 33 weeks. i had gained 25 pounds in one week, and she wanted to lecture me about my diet. i would think that a health care professional would know that even a hungry pregnant woman would have a hard time eating 25 pounds worth of weight-gain!!!

but i found myself saying to one of my friends that i thought i got preeclampsia because i wasn't healthy enough when i got pregnant. sometimes i am convinced that i got it because i am fat. other times i want to scream at the top of my lungs that lots of fat women have healthy pregnancies.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorefarmgirl View Post
right before my homebirth midwife sent me to the hospital with my 24-hour urine sample, she said, "i want to talk about your diet when we meet again." i was admitted to the hospital and had a c-section 8 days later at 33 weeks. i had gained 25 pounds in one week, and she wanted to lecture me about my diet. i would think that a health care professional would know that even a hungry pregnant woman would have a hard time eating 25 pounds worth of weight-gain!!!

but i found myself saying to one of my friends that i thought i got preeclampsia because i wasn't healthy enough when i got pregnant. sometimes i am convinced that i got it because i am fat. other times i want to scream at the top of my lungs that lots of fat women have healthy pregnancies.
i don't think you got pre-e because of that!! it just happens if they knew why then it wouldn't ya know?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM

In 1995, I was 25 years old and after I delivered my first child a daughter in the hospital. I went up to my room and my husband at the time went home to spread the news. I planned to sleep the rest of the night but was feeling a little like heart burn. I asked the nurse to bring me something, but by the time the nurse came back I felt like an elephant was sitting on my check and was having difficulty breathing.  She rushed me back to Labor and delivery. I woke up the next day seeing double, swelled up and feeling really weird.  They had me hooked up to monitors and an IV.  The doctor explained I was one of those rare cases who show no signs or systems until after the delivery. I had a great diet, did not gain too much, ate a lot of healthy meals, except during the last week...I ate 2 NYC street vendor hotdogs with the works and then I went into labor...Theory number 2.

After many years of knowing my body, I realized I may have had signs and symptoms, but they were not detected. My blood pressure has always been low, so when I arrived at the hospital my heart rate was recorded as normal, but for me it was higher than usual. Then increased during the delivery to the rate it was.  My theory.  My docotors were unable to tell me anything about it and were not sure if it would be a factor in future births. I was labeled a high risk pregnancy for my next 2 children (2000 and 2002) without incidence.  The docotors monitored my pressure throughout the process.

User Tag List