Pushing before fully dilated & low back pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 4mo pp, and have been wondering since DD's birth whether it was "normal" or if it could have been different/better. Without rehashing the whole thing, here are the basic points that I'm trying to understand: (I delivered unmedicated with a midwife in a hospital.)

- I was 9 cm, and feeling like DD was going to come out my butt. Not what I would call an "urge to push," but just a lot of pain pressing down on my lower back.

- MW said, "Let's try to work with the contractions," and they broke down the bed, brought in a few more nurses, and started barking commands at me to push/breathe/don't breathe/don't push/relax this/no not that!/etc.... what seems to be "purple pushing," from what I now have read.

- Pushing felt so wrong and unnatural, and I had to focus so intently on my DD and getting her out safely and quickly to keep my mind off the horrible feeling of tearing myself in half (I don't know the "degrees" of my tears, but I had internal tears and labial tears.) I've healed well enough, thankfully.

What I'm wondering is, first, whether this is something that is normal (pushing before being fully dilated). If it is, i suspect it's not something normally done in an unmedicated birth?

Second, did the low back pain I was feeling mean I was having back labor? MW never said anything to me about it, but after the experience, I realized she was being very patronizing with me, and don't feel she was truthful about many things.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's probably very unusual for them to tell you to push before your fully dilated. There is a worry that you can cause your cervix to swell or rip which can cause problems with delivery.That said some midwifes will let you push little grunty pushes if you feel the urge before your fully dilated. But this isn't real full on pushing and it can help you to dilate faster. But that certainly isn't what those midwives were having you do.

I'm sorry you went through that Mama I can't imagine how annoying it would be to have all those people shouting instructions at you.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. No, you're right, they weren't having me do little pushes. Another thing that bothered me was after the fact, all the nurses telling me they had never seen anything like that before, saying how "amazing" I was. I'm not sure if they meant an unmedicated birth or how I pushed before being fully dilated. I certainly didn't feel amazing at that point... I felt traumatized and my first thought after my daughter came out was that I never wanted to give birth again. That makes me so sad. I now feel that I want to know how/if it could be different if I'm lucky enough to have another child.

I wonder if anyone else has thoughts on this or has had a similar experience. I'm also curious about the low back pressure/pain & whether it was back labor, or just normal labor pains.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:58 AM

I think that this is how some women feel their sacral joint being pushed out of the way for a normal sized/OA presentation, especially for a first baby. You don't necessarily need a malpositioned baby to have back labor.

*But* your description and the because pushing felt wrong makes me think that position had something to do with it. The feeling like she was going to come out your butt could be how you interpret the normal pressure of the head coming down (hey, it's enough to make ya poop if there's anything in there), or the works of a posterior baby. Do you think your DD may have been OP (or just not OA) when you started pushing and when she was born?

If baby was malpositioned or just still getting into position either when descending/pushing/crowning, that can definitely make you feel like you're splitting in two.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:55 PM

I pushed before I was compleatly dialated as well, during a homebirth. I don't know if my midwives thought I was feeling pushy, and thus encouraged it or what, but I was full on pushing. I never felt any sensation in my butt or back labor though, so I think my son was still really high. I pushed for hours and my son never descended and my cervix swelled and it all ended in hospital transport and c section. I still have no idea why they ecouraged me to push and it didn't feel right to me to start pushing when I did, but I trusted them because they were the professionals.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM

I've read some things lately about how 10cm isn't the end all be all it's talked up to be, and how a mom should push when she feels the urge to do so, not when she's given permission to.

But it doesn't sound like you felt the urge to push, just that you had a lot of pressure. So maybe it wasn't the best thing to have happened.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebee View Post
Do you think your DD may have been OP (or just not OA) when you started pushing and when she was born?
Thanks for your comments. I have no idea about her position. I didn't think to ask the midwife at the time and she didn't say anything about it. (Is that something that would be in my hospital records? I've wondered if I should get them, as I don't want to continue with this practice.) About the pressure of the head coming down, the most intense pain/pressure started after an exam, I think at 7cm, and my water broke at that point. It was pretty quick from then to 9cm, I think.

First Time Mama, I'm sorry you went through what you did. I know what you mean about trusting them... I thought i was in better hands being with a midwife, but I'm not sure it was any better/different than it would have been with a doctor.

SubliminalDarkness, I've read the same things about pushing and 10 cm. I wouldn't have described what I felt as needing to push. It was more like, severe pain and discomfort. But I also feel like.... What do I know? I never did this before! When other mamas say they felt the need to push, does it feel like it can just happen, like a bm? (I didn't feel like that.)

In reflecting on the experience, I've been thinking that while the midwife didn't pressure me to take any medication (as I had requested), she may have treat me as if I had pain relief (not just with the pushing; the rest of my time laboring in the hospital was troublesome as well).

Thanks again for all of your thoughts & comments. I hope to come to terms with the experience so I can be better prepared if there is ever a next time, and hopefully not have bad memories or fears about birth.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 AM

You can definitely check your records. Presentation should definitely be recorded, but if baby was in a different position while you were pushing than she was born in, that may or may not be there. (Example would be posterior at first and then did a rotation to come out OA.) If it's not recorded, how you experienced labor is the best clue.

I'm also wondering if they were having you push past a lip of cervix...that can be called that 9cm sometimes too, and moms are oftentimes suggested to push past the lip.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy_v View Post

SubliminalDarkness, I've read the same things about pushing and 10 cm. I wouldn't have described what I felt as needing to push. It was more like, severe pain and discomfort. But I also feel like.... What do I know? I never did this before! When other mamas say they felt the need to push, does it feel like it can just happen, like a bm? (I didn't feel like that.)

In reflecting on the experience, I've been thinking that while the midwife didn't pressure me to take any medication (as I had requested), she may have treat me as if I had pain relief (not just with the pushing; the rest of my time laboring in the hospital was troublesome as well).

Thanks again for all of your thoughts & comments. I hope to come to terms with the experience so I can be better prepared if there is ever a next time, and hopefully not have bad memories or fears about birth.
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, in transition I had the baby-out-the-butt feeling. But the urge to push was like my body was gonna push anyway so I might as well go with it. I don't know that it's like that for everyone, but with both my boys, that's how it went. Although, with DS1 I had much less of the transition experience, though with DS2 it was extremely pronounced.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say you probably weren't ready to push yet. I'm unclear as to why your midwife would have wanted to rush you along when you were so close, unless perhaps she was just unclear as to what else to do?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebee View Post
I'm also wondering if they were having you push past a lip of cervix...that can be called that 9cm sometimes too, and moms are oftentimes suggested to push past the lip.
This was my experience with birth of DS--I was asked to push past a lip of cervix at 9 cm, which took three painful hours to do. The midwife had to hold the lip back while I pushed to try to keep it from wrapping over his head. She wanted to make sure that I wouldn't inflame the cervix or damage it in anyway, which I appreciate. Still, I wonder if I had just waited for the cervix to open more if we had to even go through that whole escapade. I think as a first time birther, I just followed everyone's guidance except my own--this experience was all new to me.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 AM

I would also like to know what is considered "back labor" because I felt like the back of my pelvis was on fire and the pain was unimaginable. My DH had to use counter-pressure with all of his strength to ease the pain. Still, DS came out OA--not sure why the pain was that intense in the back. Midwife also said I had plenty of room in the pelvis, and that even though DS was 9 lbs. 4.5 oz, I could have birthed an even larger baby. [Ha! Glad I didn't though concerning my 4th degree tear!]

User Tag List