Having another baby after a c section - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
anyone have any bdtd experiences or feelings to share about this?
My first pregnancy resulted in a c section birth. Now I am contemplating having another baby. I still don't know if we want more children ( our ds is just 4 months old)
But when I think about if I do get pregnant again- I get concerned about how a pregnancy and birth could go after a c section.

Is a pregnancy totally normal in a womb that has been cut?

and then I wouldn't even know how to prepare for the birth-
I was gonna have a homebirth with ds but-
there are no midwives I feel supported by enough to use.
So I could go to the hospital where ds was born- where I liked the staff a lot.
But then would they automatically make me do both lots of tests and stuff in pregnancy and lots of interventions at birth?

I had minimal testing. no ultrasound- and a very hands off pregnancy. I was gonna have a home birth water birth.

I just get overwhelmed thinking about how it all could go if I do have another baby.

Also- I have heard from some that the second c section is much worse to heal from than the first, which makes sense to me.
Have others found this to be the truth?
Because I would obviously want a v bac but now that I have had a c section I know that birth could go many different ways.

So essentially before I decide to get preganat (which wouldn't be for at least a yr but I am in my late 30's)
I would want to figure some of this out.

so how were your experiences getting pregnant and birthing after having had a c section?
Anyone have similar concerns and how did you handle it?
Thanks
#2 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I clicked on this forum accidentally and noticed your post. I had an emergency c-section with complications for my first baby. I was terrified of getting pregnant again. I ultimately decided not to let my fear change our plan of having two children close together in age. I had to work through my birth issues with a psychologist. I ended up getting pregnant when I DD was 9 months old. The doctor gave me a choice of vbac or planned c-section. I chose the c-section. It was the devil I knew. And after so much went wrong in my first labour, I liked the control I felt that I had with a c-section. I also had a secret fear that maybe my uterus wasn't healed enough to withstand labour. Although the doctor told me that I only needed to wait 3 months after the c-section to get pregnant again, I still felt anxious enough through I waited 9 months. The second pregnancy was easy-breezy and I recovered very quickly from the second c-section. I went home the day after my baby was born and within a week I felt like nothing had happened to me.

Good-luck with your decision. It was agonizing for me, but ultimately, it all worked out for the best.

Cheers
Cjam
#3 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Our first was a CS, non-emergent, malpostioned CS. I acutally had a pretty good recovery compared to others, and a pretty easy transition with baby never being out of room with me, even in OR, but still left with PTSD, PP depression/anxiety, etc and 6 weeks of recovery and not being able to laugh, and BF issues, etc.

We are due in Sept with our next, planning an HBAC, and feeling GREAT! I know that even if I don't get a vaginal birth, it won't be as traumatic as we have a great support system with a MW and Doula who are amazing.

Pregnancy is actually quite healthier, but we did a lot of diet changes before we got pregnant. Conception was no problem, we actually got pregnant the day before our IUD was taken out, as in had sex, got IUD out next day, and hubby's super sperm was still alive and fertilized my egg. But I don know that a CS can cause fertility problems in some women. I think every woman is different. Pregnancy is totally normal in a womb that has been cut. Your body DOES heal, but emotional trauma may cause more stress/anxiety also due to heightened hormones, this is where a good Doula is great.

Eat healthy, exercise, de-stress in every way possible, and fall in love with your new family. That last part was the hardest for me, as it took well over a year and a half to 'get over' everything that went on.

I'd interview a variety of Cps before choosing one, we interviewed 9 before we started trying and picked from them. Ask a lot of questions, specifically about VBAC, their thoughts and philosophies, the reasons for your CS, and how they would handle it differently, etc.

MOST hospitals I know (all in my area) require different interventions, I know continuous fetal monitoring is a must, and I think an IV/saline lock as well. I don't know of any tests that you would need being a VBAC vs a non-vbac.

I've heard both that CS is easier the second time than the first and that it is harder. I think it really just depends. Emotionally, i can see if you had a traumatic CS after a long crazy traumatic labor a repeat CS COULD be easier to cope with.

Some good books for you:
The Cesarean Myth
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth
Birth After Cesarean

That should get you started

PM me if you need anything!
#4 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm pregnant after C-section...so far nothing seems different. I have heard from others that they healed faster after second C-section. I have read that scheduled C-sections are safer than the emergency or last minute C-sections. And mine went pretty well last time. Though I am also hoping to vbac this time mostly for the reason I hate afterwards telling my kids constantly to be careful of my belly (incision) I can't pick them up, I can't take a bath with them, on and on...all the things I can't do and have to be careful of after, drive me crazy...

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#5 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM

My second c-section was very similar to my first in terms of recovery time. I had easy recoveries with both, and I think that having to get up and go to the NICU helped with that. I had been on strict bedrest for almost 6 weeks prior to DD's birth, and still had an easy recovery (though getting up and down stairs was definitely more challenging at first!).

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

the thing I have heard specifically about sometimes the second healing being worse than the first is this:
that cutting through scar tissue is harder than regular tissue.
and then the idea of simply sustaining an injury twice to the same area would make the area heal ultimately less than after just one.
So in other words- I am healing fairly well- my incision is still annoying and itches and all that- and bothers me sometimes. But as far as it could go it is doing well.

A fear I have is that if I had to have a second c section that the ultimate end result of the healing of the incision and uterus would be significantly worse than it is after this one time. Is that a valid concern? thanks
#7 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
the thing I have heard specifically about sometimes the second healing being worse than the first is this:
that cutting through scar tissue is harder than regular tissue.
and then the idea of simply sustaining an injury twice to the same area would make the area heal ultimately less than after just one.
So in other words- I am healing fairly well- my incision is still annoying and itches and all that- and bothers me sometimes. But as far as it could go it is doing well.

A fear I have is that if I had to have a second c section that the ultimate end result of the healing of the incision and uterus would be significantly worse than it is after this one time. Is that a valid concern? thanks
I think I'm, understanding your question better, it seems you are asking more about medical recovery, as in safety? The second CS does come with more risks than a first CS due to cutting through scar tissue and such. And if you want another kid (or accidentally get pregnant after a 2nd CS) then you have a higher risk of complications. Keep in mind all the complications of a CS are very rare, but do happen, and complications happen much more frequently after a CS than after a VBAC, so that just goes to show how much safer a VBAC is than a repeat CS. Does that help?
#8 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

The complications is one aspect.
What I am asking right now though is specifically y about the incision- would the incision necessarily heal up worse from a second c section than a first?
again- if I do get pregnant I will do all I can to do a vbac. I am just addressing a fear I have in the case that I ended up woth another c section.
Trying to weigh all these things in the bigger picture of considering if I want to get pregnant again.
Ultimately it will be based on if we want another baby, obviously! but just as I consider another future pregnancy these are some fears that come up.
Thanks
#9 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to clarify:

If I have another baby I Really want to have a vbac.
this discussion is about some of the fears that I have about getting pregnant again at all- acknowledgin that a c section is a possibilty and would I be able to handle that, etc?

As for the vbac- I don't know that there is an ideal birth attendent who would help me support a vbac.
Maybe the hospital where I had ds- but I don't know.
#10 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM

I had a c-section for baby #1, VBAC for #2. I became very involved in my local ICAN chapter, which helped tremendously. (Now I'm co-leader) These ladies know all of the care providers in the region who are supportive of VBAC and natural birth. Contact your local chapter or ICAN national if there is no local chapter.

As for dealing with fears, healing, etc, again I'd point you towards ICAN, especially if you can get yourself to a meeting in person. Sharing your birth story, hearing how others have dealt with similar feelings, etc, can help. So can feeling empowered about another pregnancy. For me, one thing that helped psychologically was switching hospitals and care providers for baby #2. I did NOT want to feel as though I was repeating the same bad/disappointing experience that I'd had the first time around. New pregnancy, new try.

Feel free to PM me if you need help locating local resources.
best,
Karen

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#11 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! yeah- I looked into ICAN and there are no chapters near me at all. I would totally go if there were. I don't really want to share my location but it is pretty small town.

at any rate- I know it is early to start thinking of these things.
But with my first pregnancy- I just had the absolute worst midwives- ugh. I basically had no support around the birth ( I did from family but not from the midwives who I hated)

So ironically I think I will go to the hospital I had the c section in, which is also the same practice as the ob gyn I now see since ds's birth. I guess I feel for me that what I need to be different is to have lots of support around the birth.
Oh well this is all just thoughts anyway as I don't even know if we will have another baby.
But I want to have another baby- I think- not 100% sure
and the fear of birth is a factor in my decision.
#12 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM

It's good that you've identified what you think you'd like to do differently this time around. That alone can make a huge difference. At the end of the day, I think we can feel more satisfied about our birth experiences simply by feeling in control about how decisions are made. Even if the birth doesn't turn out the way you hope, if you feel good about the process and the level of support you are getting, this can make it easier to accept.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#13 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i am pregnant again after my section 10 months ago. I am in my second trimester-- so far no uterus related differences in pregnancy; although for the most part I'm crabbier, more tired, and have more mornings sickness. I do sometimes feel some twinges near my insicion, and as my stretch marks multiply and become itchy (again) I've noticed that my scar sometimes itches as well.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page