Fixing a badly healed tear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-16-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After DS2's birth I ended up transferring to repair a tear. It was "only" a second degree but it goes from my perineum sideways inside my vagina. The OB that did the repair really talked down the severity of the tear but my MWs who watched the suturing said what he did was actually fairly complex.

I also tore with DS1 but it was a "barely" 2nd degree right at the bottom of my perineum and healed beautifully with a couple of stitches and almost no pain. This time the healing process has been very painful and now, at 1 1/2 weeks, it looks like part of the tear has separated and is healing that way. I have another post partum with my MW on Tues but I'd like to get an idea now about what this means for me. How can I get this repaired and what does it mean for me long term? DH is dead set against more kids so that is unlikely to be a consideration, but what about my long term sexual health?

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM

I had a tear repaired at 9 weeks postpartum after ds2 (had a 2nd degree tear that I left unstitched and it healed totally open in a V). It was a super quick surgery, in and out in 45 minutes, but I was put under for it. My GYN encouraged me to do the surgery ASAP to help everything heal back up as normally as possible.

The actual healing was really hard. I assumed, b/c it was outpatient, that I'd be able to go back home (3 hours away) the next day. But it hurt to sit too badly and I ended up staying with my grandmother for about a week.

Sexually, things took a bit to get back to normal. By about 3 months post surgery I felt normal again. I was glad that I got it repaired in the end, even though recovery sucked.

And, just in case, I just had another baby and everything held up just fine. My MW worked really hard to make sure I didn't retear along the scar line.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#3 of 3 Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll talk to my MW about it on Tuesday and see what she thinks as well. At this point I'm not sure a further repair would be absolutely necessary and I'd really just like to feel back together again.

Regarding tearing again, with DS1 I tore on his shoulders when I pushed his head and shoulders out together. It was a really long labor and I just wanted him out now . DS2 had shoulder dystocia so I tore when my MW reached inside my vagina and wiggled his shoulders free. If I did end up having another baby I don't feel I'd be especially prone to tearing with a normal and well supported birth.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page