Pelvic Floor Party: Kegels are NOT invited - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Stumbled across this and wondered if anyone had asked Katy the questions, and if so what was the response?  I looked at all the pictures with interest.  I have always been able to squat to the floor with my heels flat.  Co-workers at an old job of mine used to laugh because I was always "Squatting by the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet like an old asian lady"  So since this is something that I do naturally and easily, is it having any effect?  I'm wondering if Katy clarified any of the positioning questions. 

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#32 of 40 Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM

I found the katysays blog during my recent pregnancy and had tried to start squatting more but if I try to do it for any length of time my feet start to fall asleep. And once I get up out of the squat my knees and lower legs are kind of sore. Plus it was hard to do with a pregnanty belly. Getting ready to TTC soon though and I want to make sure to start squatting now so I'm good at it by the time my belly gets big again. Does anyone else have problems with their legs/feet falling asleep or sore knees? Does this mean I'm doing it wrong? Thanks!
#33 of 40 Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM

I noticed this thread is sort of old but I felt compelled to discuss the pure physics of the bodily structure in a squat. People seem to think there is something magical about "the right way to squat" but in truth the physics of a squat have to do with available range of motion at the ankles, knees and hips, i.e. flexibility AND the proportions of your lower leg to your thigh to your torso and its center of mass (which obviously changes when pregnant). Having your center of mass more forward should allow you to stick your butt out more, it's all about maintaining your center of mass over your base, i.e. your feet. The challenge of this in a squat is front to back, not side to side.

The issue of having your feet turned out or not has to do with the lever length of thighs to lower leg and torso. If you look at a person squatting from the side you'll be able to see this: if their feet are pointing straight forward their butt will have to go further back if their thighs are very long in comparison to their lower leg and torso, most likely this will push the center of mass back past the heels and that's why people topple over backwards. If they turn their feet out a bit the thighs will travel forward but also sideways and the butt will not stick out as much, thus maintaining the center of mass over the base.

As to lordosis in end range of motion of a squat: I don't know of anyone who has that much hipflexion that they can avoid lordosis, i.e. letting the tailbone tuck in at the end (when sitting all the way down with your butt on your heels) is normal.

Lastly, to address the original question of whether squats are effective in rebuilding? I haven't specifically studied that. I can't say whether it is essential for everybody to be able to squat either. It makes sense to me that it sort of lines everything up to give birth from an anatomical point of view.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#34 of 40 Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Random_Phrase View Post

Alaaj, That sort of answers it. I really wanted more detailed steps but, perhaps, if I did those exercises regularly I'd be able to squat like she says is the best way to do it. It seems like she said she had a video that gave more details. Perhaps I'd need that to really grasp it.

Random, just hold on to something as you squat down. Go down as far as you can. Over time, you will be able to squat perfectly - without holding on to anything.

#35 of 40 Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakipode View Post

I noticed this thread is sort of old but I felt compelled to discuss the pure physics of the bodily structure in a squat. People seem to think there is something magical about "the right way to squat" but in truth the physics of a squat have to do with available range of motion at the ankles, knees and hips, i.e. flexibility AND the proportions of your lower leg to your thigh to your torso and its center of mass (which obviously changes when pregnant). Having your center of mass more forward should allow you to stick your butt out more, it's all about maintaining your center of mass over your base, i.e. your feet. The challenge of this in a squat is front to back, not side to side.

The issue of having your feet turned out or not has to do with the lever length of thighs to lower leg and torso. If you look at a person squatting from the side you'll be able to see this: if their feet are pointing straight forward their butt will have to go further back if their thighs are very long in comparison to their lower leg and torso, most likely this will push the center of mass back past the heels and that's why people topple over backwards. If they turn their feet out a bit the thighs will travel forward but also sideways and the butt will not stick out as much, thus maintaining the center of mass over the base.

As to lordosis in end range of motion of a squat: I don't know of anyone who has that much hipflexion that they can avoid lordosis, i.e. letting the tailbone tuck in at the end (when sitting all the way down with your butt on your heels) is normal.

Lastly, to address the original question of whether squats are effective in rebuilding? I haven't specifically studied that. I can't say whether it is essential for everybody to be able to squat either. It makes sense to me that it sort of lines everything up to give birth from an anatomical point of view.

Thank you. This type of thing is exactly what I was looking for.

#36 of 40 Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntauLJn View Post

Random, just hold on to something as you squat down. Go down as far as you can. Over time, you will be able to squat perfectly - without holding on to anything.

Thanks, but dakipode answered it better. No offense or anything.

#37 of 40 Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 AM

If your hip joints are in good shape and there is no groin pain in a deep parallel squat, this is a wonderful exercise - especially for the arches of the feet. 

However, a squat with full lumbar curvature is really the same exercise as sitting on a firm chair seat with full lumbar curvature, except for the additional resistance created by flexed hips and knees throughout the back myofascial line - which includes the pelvic wall. Squatting in this way is great, but it addresses only one piece of the pelvic organ support system!

It is crucial that women understand their true pelvic anatomy, which has never been taught by gynecology, PT, or Katy!

Please have a look at what I am calling The New Kegel, as well as another description of simple anatomical concepts that we must understand to maintain pelvic organ support for a lifetime:

http://wholewoman.com/blog/

japonica and AntauLJn like this.
#38 of 40 Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Christine, thank you for that information. I found it very useful.

#39 of 40 Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Hi Italia,

What a funny photo (I'm asian we jokingly call this a "fob squat") anyway it kind of reminds me of frog pose in yoga. If you do try it, its a totally different feeling when you just squat and sit your butt low than when you squat like this and then focus on lifting your pelvic floor up. Youll not only feel it in your legs but internally as well- so if you do try it I would focus on sitting low but also lifting up your pelvic floor and NOT sinking in the squat in a lazy way. Its a totally different feeling, and I think it is much more effective for this kind of issue

hug2.gif    goodvibes.gifstillheart.gif  

#40 of 40 Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 PM

Katy has an online program called No More Kegels that has really thorough information about pelvic floor, factors that contribute to pelvic floor disorder and a series of exercises that prepare people to do a full squat with the alignment parameters that Katy recommends. http://www.restorativeexercise.com/no-more-kegels/

One of the things that most people don't realize is how much preparation work is required to achieve an aligned squat. Because we sit so much, because our feet our so stiff from wearing shoes, because our lower legs have so much tension in them, there is a huge amount of prep work required to execute a squate. I find there's a huge difference between sitting in a chair with full lumbar curvature and a squat using Katy's alignment parameters (which I'm still very much working on achieving).

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page